CEL code .... P0442??
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on CEL code .... P0442?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i finally got my ap and cleared the egt codes that the stage 2 automatically turns off...i liked not having ...

CEL code .... P0442??

i finally got my ap and cleared the egt codes that the stage 2 automatically turns off...i liked not having that annoying CEL in your face all the time...but then yesterday i punched it on 3rd gear to just feel the pull a little and when i let off i threw a CEL i got my ap and read the code and it came up being P0442 which is the evaporative emissions control system leak detected...i tried looking and little hoses and it doesnt sound like any gasket on the up/down pipes...anyone have any other idea what it might be? and where should i look?? any kind of help would be useful im clueless to this point...my car is also kinda bucking when i hit the gas in 2nd and 3rd gear....when i hit target boost...15 lbs
    Last edited by evL`WrX; 04-04-2005 at 05:39 PM.
    Mods: ERZ Up/Down pipe, bosal dual tip cat-back, cobb AP stage II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

North New Jersey, School at Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania (Rt 287, Rt 78, Rt 22, Rt 80)
    Quote Originally Posted by evL`WrX
    i finally got my ap and cleared the egt codes that the stage 2 automatically turns off...i liked not having that annoying CEL in your face all the time...but then yesterday i punched it on 3rd gear to just feel the pull a little and when i let off i threw a CEL i got my ap and read the code and it came up being P0442 which is the evaporative emissions control system leak detected...i tried looking and little hoses and it doesnt sound like any gasket on the up/down pipes...anyone have any other idea what it might be? and where should i look?? any kind of help would be useful im clueless to this point...my car is also kinda bucking when i hit the gas in 2nd and 3rd gear....when i hit target boost...15 lbs
    i think that might be ur gas cap, check if its tight
    -My name is Tom not Jack

Check profile for mods

"I wanted to put a bullet between the eyes of every panda that wouldn't screw to save its species" Fight Club

man what is goin on lately. my car threw that same code and so did my friends prizm this week. my car is stock tho vs your stage 3 or w/e but im sick of that code. i know my gas cap has always been tight and i dont fuel with it off so i am also
    2000 2.5RS I <3 JDM IH8M

lol i tried the gas cap a million times and i havent installed the fuel pump recently so its none of the more common reasons why they've gone off...i searched before i put this up and im clueless to what it is im just going to try to reset the ecu even though i really didnt want to do that...
    Mods: ERZ Up/Down pipe, bosal dual tip cat-back, cobb AP stage II

I Support ClubWRX
    Unfortunately, that is the single biggest PITA code in the book. First step gas cap- but if thats not the problem you've got potential for drain valve, purge control solenoid(popular choice), pressure control solenoid, evap canister and of course tank problems... If you're getting running issues w/ that code I'd bet on a solenoid or canister issue.
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

i fixed my cel problem this weekend by removing the evap canister and drain valve and
    removing the electrical tape around the wiring. I found the wire going to the drain valve
    connector completely corroded...just a pile of green copper oxide. This connector
    points up and collects salt, water, and debris from the rear tire. I connected the wire to
    the drain valve and cel went out. Additionally, the hoses going to the drain valve
    are held on by just friction.....mine are very loose and i plan to add a cable tie on them
    i think this cel is a problem waiting to happen on the 2002's.
    j

where is the drain valve, evap canister etc. BTW i put a walbro in, any way this could have caused it?
    282 AWHP...267 lb-ft torque.
    2005 WRB WRX Sedan

"he's a domestic fan with a hunger for rice"

I know what your problem may be because it happened to me. In front of the alternator there is a blue T fitting that emissions hoses hook up to. It is not rare that one of the sides come out. Check it to make sure before you go removing anything. You will easily be able to find the connector because it is bright blue. Let me know if this is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah
    where is the drain valve, evap canister etc. BTW i put a walbro in, any way this could have caused it?
    definitely could be the cause.

i started getting (then clearing) the CEL everyday on the way home from work a couple of weeks after installing my walbro.

problem was that the fuel pump access gasket hadn't seated correctly. need to make sure all of the little gasket guide pins pass through the metal cover before you tighten it. i ended up cutting one of them flush to ensure the gasket seated fully.

no more 0442 CEL!

what about that lil metal thing that goes over two of the studs. i put that between the tank and the gasket cuz i didnt wanna deal with it
    2005 WRB WRX Sedan

btw i cant find that blue thing. ony thing in front of my alternator is that plastic cover, radiator hose, and grille. im gonna take a look at that fuel pump tomorow...maybe if im not to tired
    2005 WRB WRX Sedan

The blue T conector is mixed in with other hoses and such. I couldn't find it until I looked hard in the daylight.

what other hoses, all i have in front of my alternator is the radiator.
    2005 WRB WRX Sedan

just fixed it the gasket was pretty messed up so i think thats it
    2005 WRB WRX Sedan

Let me know if thats it. If it isn't I will take a picture and post it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.