IL: any fun drives?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on IL: any fun drives? within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; where do you guys go, if you do? I only know of sheridan rd being the most interesting in illinois ...

IL: any fun drives?

where do you guys go, if you do? I only know of sheridan rd being the most interesting in illinois up by winnetka.
    chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

75'th nothing like dodging ricers and cops.

route 171/Archer ave. from lockport to chicago isnt bad...i wouldnt recommend it at really high speed, but once you get in to the wooded area by lemont the speed limit picks up and its all covered by trees and and its a little twisty..not bad on a nice summer day cruising with the windows down and the music up....

cheers

A

Quote Originally Posted by Rockit227
    route 171/Archer ave. from lockport to chicago isnt bad...i wouldnt recommend it at really high speed, but once you get in to the wooded area by lemont the speed limit picks up and its all covered by trees and and its a little twisty..not bad on a nice summer day cruising with the windows down and the music up....

cheers

A

its too bumppy, if you want a touge style road locally, there is one in lemont...

going north on lemont road over the bridge, on the left is a road called Bluff Road its all wooded, lots of elevation change, and lots of twisties, heck there is even a laguna seca "S" curve there. if you want to meet up, i live really close to there.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonEye
    its too bumppy, if you want a touge style road locally, there is one in lemont...

going north on lemont road over the bridge, on the left is a road called Bluff Road its all wooded, lots of elevation change, and lots of twisties, heck there is even a laguna seca "S" curve there. if you want to meet up, i live really close to there.
    I drove this road today on your recommendation. Very nice. It's a bit short, but worth the drive. The corkscrew is awesome. This is the kind of road that should be blocked off and then you drive as fast as your insanity will allow.

The elevation changes are insane. Straight up...and then straight down (I got a bit car sick). Speed limit is 35, but there aren't any cops.

I highly recommend trying out this road. But you should do a slow run at first to check for cops and for pedestrians just to keep things a bit safer.

DIRECTIONS: From Chicago, take 55 South toward St. Louis. Exit Lemont South. When you see the large bridge crossing the river, Bluff Road is a little before that on your right (West side of Lemont).

I checked out Bluff Rd to the East of Lemont and it is blocked by a fence. I also checked out Railroad Rd. (just south of Bluff) but it was blocked by the river and a gate. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyfilmboy
    I drove this road today on your recommendation. Very nice. It's a bit short, but worth the drive. The corkscrew is awesome. This is the kind of road that should be blocked off and then you drive as fast as your insanity will allow.

The elevation changes are insane. Straight up...and then straight down (I got a bit car sick). Speed limit is 35, but there aren't any cops.

I highly recommend trying out this road. But you should do a slow run at first to check for cops and for pedestrians just to keep things a bit safer.

DIRECTIONS: From Chicago, take 55 South toward St. Louis. Exit Lemont South. When you see the large bridge crossing the river, Bluff Road is a little before that on your right (West side of Lemont).

I checked out Bluff Rd to the East of Lemont and it is blocked by a fence. I also checked out Railroad Rd. (just south of Bluff) but it was blocked by the river and a gate. Too bad.
    I'm glad you liked it, but honestly that road is ALMOST like the tail of the dragon over in TN, but that road is 11 miles long and 312 turns or something like that. i went on that last summer after driving bluff road every day for a few years(too and from work), and it was a blast.

I know this was irresponsible, but sometimes on the way too or from work, i would be able to go full blast through that road, and at that S turn, i would be about 45mph and some of the straights up to about 120mph.....again i have taken this road about 900+ times going too and from work every day.

i think i have seen maybe 1 cop clocking on that road between the S turn and where the elevation changes again, and every once in a while, one that is driving through there... but there is a forest preserve entrance that is open in the morning, so there is a cop there unlocking it and locking it up at night.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonEye
    I'm glad you liked it, but honestly that road is ALMOST like the tail of the dragon over in TN, but that road is 11 miles long and 312 turns or something like that. i went on that last summer after driving bluff road every day for a few years(too and from work), and it was a blast.

I know this was irresponsible, but sometimes on the way too or from work, i would be able to go full blast through that road, and at that S turn, i would be about 45mph and some of the straights up to about 120mph.....again i have taken this road about 900+ times going too and from work every day.

i think i have seen maybe 1 cop clocking on that road between the S turn and where the elevation changes again, and every once in a while, one that is driving through there... but there is a forest preserve entrance that is open in the morning, so there is a cop there unlocking it and locking it up at night.

Good to know. I have seen the Tail of the Dragon road on NASIOC and it looks amazing. Road trip! How long did it take you to get there?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyfilmboy
    Good to know. I have seen the Tail of the Dragon road on NASIOC and it looks amazing. Road trip! How long did it take you to get there?
    about 10-12 hours, depending on traffic, i'm going either the first or second weekend in august, you are more than welcome to join, i go with a bunch of VW folks, its alot of fun. we rent a cabin, so you would be expected to pitch in a bit, but it isn't too bad.

There was just an article on Tail of the Dragon in the latest Road and Track. The secret is out. I may hit it upon my way to or from my cousin's wedding in June since it will be in North Cackalacky.
    06 WRX
    Black
    I, DP, Cobb AP Stage 2 93oct
    Protune, FSTB, RSB
    232 awhp, 290 tq

Quote Originally Posted by WryWrx
    There was just an article on Tail of the Dragon in the latest Road and Track. The secret is out. I may hit it upon my way to or from my cousin's wedding in June since it will be in North Cackalacky.

its been pretty famous for some time now, when you go there you will see how busy it will be

River Road. Cherry Valley, il

I can't wait to check out the road in Lemont. I just got back from St. Louis, and there a a couple nice(touge) style roads out there.

Good thing about the Lemont road is that it is on the way from Chicago to Rt. 66 Raceway. So if you are in Chicago and you are going to an autocross, you can have some illegal fun before you have your legal fun.

Awesome drive

I drove on an awesome road a few weeks ago. It's in Elizabeth, IL, a very small town. There's a great road there called S. Apple River Road. You can see it if you type in "Elizabeth, IL" into google and look at the map. Then zoom in twice, and move the view NW slightly. The road hooks up with a few other roads and changes from tarmac to pea gravel. The gravel is very slippery on summer tires. And I had my rear sway bar set to the tightest setting which resulted in some very easy oversteer around the corners. The road is pretty crowned at some points but it's very fun. But be careful. There are some people who live around there. If you can't see over the hill, don't speed over it. You could easily smash into someone zooming toward you in the other direction. And the road is only 1.5 car widths wide. But for most of it, you can see clearly and there's no traffic.

Just be careful. This is a road you don't want to screw up on.

Also, the other roads in the area are very fun. Lots of motorcycles. And you are pretty close to the Mississippi by the time you get there. And there's a National Byway along the Mississippi river that is supposed to be awesome, especially when you get in WI.

I ran that road out in Lemont last week. I t was pretty cool, but short. I ran through slow at first and then I turned around and took it a little faster behind some motorcycles.
    All in all its a nice short road, and worth the 30min drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast