NM: Highways 502 and 4 out of Los Alamos

This is a discussion on NM: Highways 502 and 4 out of Los Alamos within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I guess I'm lucky because I take 502 to/from work everyday. 502 has a section between LA and the turnoff ...

Smile NM: Highways 502 and 4 out of Los Alamos

I guess I'm lucky because I take 502 to/from work everyday. 502 has a section between LA and the turnoff for Espanola that is steep uphill and has 3 lanes up / 2 lanes down. It's super fun to attack the uphill section at faster than traffic speed, especially since 3 lanes ensures you can pass if you need to.

Hwy 4 has a really awesome twisty section between Bandelier National Monument and the Valles Caldera - lots of really tight 20mph twisty turns. Traffic is usually light, but there are a lot of bikers near Bandelier in the summer so going fast there is not a good idea. Between Bandelier and Valles though... fun fun fun.
    2002 impreza wrx sportwagon 5-spd, aspen white
    very tenderly modified.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hwy 4 has a really awesome twisty section between Bandelier National Monument and the Valles Caldera - lots of really tight 20mph twisty turns. Traffic is usually light, but there are a lot of bikers near Bandelier in the summer so going fast there is not a good idea. Between Bandelier and Valles though... fun fun fun.
    20mph...are you sure you're in the right car...? When the road is clear I don't think there's anything that needs taking less than 40..., but then the last time I did it was in my wife's Outback...

Seriously, though, this is one awesome road. Go all the way down to Jemez Springs, then turn and come back. Of course, traffic is a terrible problem a hell of a lot of the time...

Quote Originally Posted by perfusionista
    20mph...are you sure you're in the right car...? When the road is clear I don't think there's anything that needs taking less than 40..., but then the last time I did it was in my wife's Outback...

Seriously, though, this is one awesome road. Go all the way down to Jemez Springs, then turn and come back. Of course, traffic is a terrible problem a hell of a lot of the time...
    the posted limit is 20mph or thereabouts in a lot of the turns
    2002 impreza wrx sportwagon 5-spd, aspen white
    very tenderly modified.

oh man i love that damn road. i was just there in august, i scared the **** out of some people on that road, flying like a madman.
    i drove 6,000 miles to ultimately wind up at that road, i wasn't going to half ass it.

beautiful area, love to live there