NH: Kancamagus Hwy

This is a discussion on NH: Kancamagus Hwy within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Map pics writeup and pics write up pics ok i think yall get the point. i would start in lincoln ...

NH: Kancamagus Hwy

Map pics writeup and pics write up pics

ok i think yall get the point.

i would start in lincoln and end in conway if possible. otherwise you go uphill a little too much imho..
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Very Nice! Exactly what Fun Drives is supposed to be about. Too bad more people don't participate. Thank you!

I've been close to there a couple of times, but never saw the highway. Went up and down 16, across 302, and up Mt Washington. And of course spent way too much time in the outlet malls... (alothough there was a great outfitter that I had some stuff repaired and made there. Can't remember the name of the place.)

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

I went a few summers ago with my family right before foliage season, and it was absolutely gorgeous. Too bad my digital camera at the time was and still is pure unadulterated crap... But I smell a caravan coming on

Bear notch road is also nice up there. I think they just repaved it too.(like maybe a year ago) It was horrid but now its cool. It brings you to the other side of the mountain (cog railwayside)

My wife and I are going to Franconia, NH next weekend (17th-19th) for our first anniversary. She agreed to take the WRX (we normally drive the Yukon on long trips) so I can drive the Kancamagus- can't wait.
    2009 WRX 5Door- Silver
    2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    1957 Willy's CJ3B, '73 Corvette Yellow

Got back from the trip this afternoon- had a blast, although I was unable to drive the Kancamangus. The roads between North Conway and Franconia were great, though. Took 302 on Friday night in a downpour and the WRX was awesome, and took 16 and 2 yesterday as well. Took the drive up Mt. Washington and lucked out with sunny weather. Saw the following WRXs on the trip:

Blue STI in Windham, ME, just past the traffic circle on 302 (Friday afternoon).

Silver WRX sedan, early model w/o the rear wing, at the Franconia Inn.

Another blue STI on Rt. 3 between 302 and 93 (Saturday).

Blue WRX sedan with wheels and some sort of window header sticker at a store between NH and Rumford, ME (today).

Silver WRX sedan just leaving Mount Desert Island (today).

Let me know if you were driving any of these.

Anyway, got home today after driving 716 total miles. Put the car in the shop and changed the oil- first time with synthetic. Almost 7,000 miles on the clock, bought it July 10th.
    2009 WRX 5Door- Silver
    2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    1957 Willy's CJ3B, '73 Corvette Yellow

Centennial Colorado, Originally Boston Baby!!!
    3 words.....Thorn Hill Road.

Its short but its fun....go down 16 towards Jackson and turn over the covered bridge. As you pass the fire dept on the right the nex turn is Thorn hill. Take the first little section at speed limit as there are houses, but after that hit it. its fun.

I grew up there......so if you need some roads let me know.

West Side road is another good one. Take 302 west from conway and just as you pass the covered bridge gift shop on the left at the top of the hill is west side road. Hit it fast the whole way.....my advice though is to run it at speed limit first then go back.....cops tend to sit on it.

I have some secret dirt roads...if interested PM me.

Joe

the kancamagus is amazing!! i hit it last year with the s10 and it was fun, imagine the fun i'd have in the wrx!!! great scenery and it's just a great ride. It's 32miles i believe so it's def a long ride!
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

I rode the Kancamangus this summer. It was nice, but there were just too many other cars on it. I'm going to try it again right before I switch to my snow tires. It should be alot less crowded this time of year.

Going up here today if i can find a way to get here...