VA: Shenandoah Natl. Park

This is a discussion on VA: Shenandoah Natl. Park within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I just got back from a weekend roadtrip to the Shenandoah Natl. Park in Virginia, and let me tell you....damn ...

VA: Shenandoah Natl. Park

I just got back from a weekend roadtrip to the Shenandoah Natl. Park in Virginia, and let me tell you....damn is it a hot drive. It was raining all the way there from Washington, DC, but that didn't stop me from ripping it just a little bit.

Once you leave the flatland and start up the hillclimb, it's almost exactly like something out of Initial D....sweeping banked curves with a double uphill lane, long straights and hairpin corners, simply amazing for about 2 miles, then you enter the park and can drive on "skyline drive" which is one of those scary scenic drives that dumps you over a cliff for 100 feet if you make a wrong turn, but still it was a good time. Coming back to DC from virginia, I took route 522 south...a small back country road that leads into nowheresville...but the point of route 522 is to get you to byway 647, a great drive!!! This short and sweet little road has 30 degree banked turns and sweeps left and right around these tight little corners, weaving in and out of the small hills of virginia. Leading back to the main interstate 66, I would highly recommend route 647 to anyone in the area for a heartracing little drive. My dad was holding on for dear life as I gunned it in third around some of the turns, and reaching up to 100mph on some of the little straightaways, it was the height of irresponsible driving, but I've got to say that I only saw probably 10 cars all day on this road, and for about an 8 mile stretch, that's not bad. Super sticky tires are a must, since this really nice smooth pavement just begs for R compound...I was a little disappointed since I still have my snowtires on.

Regardless, ehre was the route I took...

1) left Annapolis, MD via route 50
    2) merged onto 495 south
    3) take 66 west until you see signs for "skyline drive" and the Shenandoah Natl. Park. Admission is only 10 bucks for a car, and the ticket is good for 7 days if you want to go back.

route 522 is right at the end of the skyline drive if you go northbound....can't miss it.

~Tim

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Elite
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

i went there for 4/20/04 it was a great drive