CA: Los Padres Nat. Forest (Gorman -> Ojai)

This is a discussion on CA: Los Padres Nat. Forest (Gorman -> Ojai) within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Went on a drive through Los Padres National Forest near Gorman. Went from Frazier Park westward along Lockwood Valley Rd ...

Arrow CA: Los Padres Nat. Forest (Gorman -> Ojai)

Went on a drive through Los Padres National Forest near Gorman. Went from Frazier Park westward along Lockwood Valley Rd to Hwy 33. A lot of super highspeed straights with elevation changes, lots of technical curves (but safe and banked). On one straight you can probably top out if you're ballzy, but be careful since there's a 20-foot dip that comes at you like a wall.

Hwy 33 itself is pretty awesome, and going South, I didn't encounter any traffic at all. Pretty much no cops on this run. This was on Sunday the 21st at about noonish. There are one or two hard hair pins, but there aren't any triple-caution exposures, so don't be afraid of slipping into a four-wheel drift. This run is a good workout for your brakes and tires, you can get up to about 90 in between 30mph turns. Watch out for other people drifting over the yellow!

Although it was safe for me, it is a canyon run and if you ***** up, you will cartwheel 200 feet into a rocky forest and explode, just like in the movies. I was underdriving (which you should too) and I still had lots of fun. There are some spots that are enclosed by rock faces where you can push it a little more, but please be aware of the turn-outs and vista points where people like to park and hang out.

Have fun and be safe!
    Speedometer? Is that the thing next to the tach?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A good ride!. When you reach Ojai turn left (east) and leave Ojai Valley going towards Santa Paula/Fillmore and eventually hook up with I5 again. At the base of the climb out of Ojai Valley is a great little restaurant called Boccalli's. Eat outdoors if the weather is good. Well known for their strawberry shortcake. The rest of the menu is very good too. Was just up that way Sunday, hills are green, weather was in the 70s, very nice.

I take the 33 all the time, but not in my car. My friends and I ride our motorcycles out there quite a bit. We come into Ojai from the 150 which we get onto from the 101. The 150 is also a great road going in either direction from Ojai. The best part is actually just past were Phil said to eat. The road starts to go up hill and there are some really tight turns with great pavement on the way up. If you like burgers head past Boccalli's up the hill. The road will eventually open up to some high speed stuff. Just before you start down the hill is "The Summit", great burgers. Keep a good look out for it though, if you've never been there before you will miss it. Do watch out for the cops more in the summer monthes though. They will be out more trying to catch me and all the other motorcycles out there.