Subaru WRX Forum banner

VA: Snowshoe trip RT 33 in West VA

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  phased 
#1 · (Edited)
Snowshoe trip RT 33 in West VA

Rt 33 from I-81 in VA into West VA. Damn those first few mountains were awesome. Better than rt 60 maybe. That and New rt 66 all the way from 84 to snowshoe mtn. was a great drive. But 33 was mad crazy U turns up and down mountains, just the best road I have ever been on!

Oh, and I saw rt 250 and it was near the same area. I know that one is badass too.

I wanna drive next time. My car has a piston misfire right now that I couldn't fix or I would have. We were passing people at top speed in my friends truck and having a blast. There was not one cop the whole ride back. I guess my only compaint is that there were places you got stuck behind people going slow up the mountain and you COULD NOT pass because you couldn't see around the bends. If I had my car I may have done some dangerous stuff, but we kept it way safe.

Adam

#3 ·
I went to JMU in the 'burg. I know Rt. 33 pretty well. Too bad I didnt have my WRX when I was there. I actually know some great camp sites in that first group of mountains you hit going east.

BTW, If you want to see a bunch of college girls in bikinis on a nice warm day, stop off at blue hole (which is listed on your map). Its a little swimming hole right off the west side of Rt. 33. Man, I had some fun there!:D

#4 ·
I grew up on US RT 33 in western Ohio. It is an OK road in that area, because it is reasonably hilly there, and 33 follows the river valleys.

I moved to Virginia, and happened to work just up the road from US RT 33 in Gordonsville.

I thought I'd take it home one time, until I got out the state maps. It looks like it is about twice as far to go straight home on Rt 33 than take the long way on the interstate! :D

I did eventually take RT 33 from Bellefontaine, Ohio to where it meets I-77 in West Virginia. We were on our way to Charlottesville in my MGA. I would have like to go the rest of the way, but it rained on us for most of two days. No windows and slippery roads made it not much fun anymore.

One of these days...

#5 · (Edited)
Blue hole huh? Interesting...

And 33 was cool, but the best parts were only in certain places. I would say there is a good stretch on 33 from harrisonburg to about 5 miles into west VA that were abosolutely crazy. My friend was like fishtailing his truck up and down the mountain trying to keep up with the cars.

Adam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.