VA: Route 60 in westen VA

This is a discussion on VA: Route 60 in westen VA within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Anyone ever been to where(edit)I-81 and I-64 meet in central western VA? It's about 15-20 miles south of Harrisonburg VA ...

Route 60 in westen VA

Anyone ever been to where(edit)I-81 and I-64 meet in central western VA? It's about 15-20 miles south of Harrisonburg VA and 20 miles north of... lynchburg I believe it is. Well right around that town you'll start to see signs for 60 east. This road goes all the way into Richmond, where I live. The first 30 mins of the ride off of I-80 are just the BEST ride on a road I have quite possibly ever had. I don't know what mountains those were, but you are looking at nice roads(considering) and probably 3 or 4 hairpin turns per mountainside. The rest of the road is just plain curvy with massive changes in elevation. There were NO CARS the first 15 mins of the trip and I have never tore my suspension up like that before!

I would say the first 30 mins make the trip worth it, there are passing zones all over the place on the straightaways that make the remaining 2 1/2 hours back to richmond tolerable. It takes 3 hours to complete the trip.

In summary the views are not all the great seeeing as how you were on some nice sized mountains, but some of those turns were not safe at speeds over 30, seriously, and there were plenty of them! It's in the middle of nowhere but if you get the chance DEFINATELY take at least the first few mountains and back. There are sightseeing stops along the mountain to wait for holes in traffic and stuff like that. I would and will do it again next time I go to JMU. The added hour on the trip is nothing for 30 mins of hardcore mountain climbing at crazy speeds!

Adam
    Last edited by phased; 02-26-2004 at 10:06 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Route 60 in westen VA

The town where you pick up 60 east is Lexington, by the way! It's about a 20 min drive south of the 64/80 intersection.

Adam

Try Rt 250 from Staunton to West Virginia.

Well I'm going to snowshoe in a few weeks. That's the only reason I can think of to hit that road up. I can't recall ever having WV as a serious destination. I'll be headed from northern VA though so it sounds like I can't take that route. Plus it's probably not practical....

250 around here is broad street, the main road through downtown and the west end. Funny stuff...

Adam

good stuff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rt60.bmp  

You mean I 81, right?

That'e the one, yup. I edited my post. Thanks!