NC/TN: Deals Gap

This is a discussion on NC/TN: Deals Gap within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; the "tail of the Dragon" as its called has this nickname for a reason. 11mi 318 corners of pure fun. ...

Thumbs up Deals Gap

the "tail of the Dragon" as its called has this nickname for a reason. 11mi 318 corners of pure fun. I went about a month ago and let me be the first to tell you if you live on the east coast you need to make a trip out there. www.tailofthedragon.com will give you directions.
    Straights are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hi man, great signature, i use it too somewhere else, it is so true.
    That's my favorite quote by Mr. "McCrash" <lol>
    Straights are for fast cars...
    Turns are for fast drivers...
    Colin McRae

My PHOTOGRAPHY

I made a couple of serious passes at the Dragon last summer. Far more fun than a person should be allowed to have.

If you have a chance, go during the middle of the week.

Went today. Was my second time. Still awesome. I also did it in 11 min. haha. Everyone who is able should go and ride the dragon.

Night Runs on the Dragon are the best. Zero traffic and you can spot oncoming traffic from quite a ways away.
    Bought September 25, 2004
    2005 Subaru WRX STi World Rally Blue/Gold Wheels

Mods: DOMOKUN!!!!

Sold: 1998 Ford Contour SVT

hey i have a few questions:

is the hotel on the dragon a good one?

is the dragon clearly marked (im bad with directions)

if i continue on the skyway (from what it looks like) is it obvious where im supposed to go so that i end up back at deals gap or wherever it all starts?
    04 black sti, gold rota torque, turbo xs tbe, turbo xs rfl bov, utec

someone trade their rfl axleback for my regular turbo xs magnaflow!!!!!

Go to the site www.tailofthedragon.com and they have directions. I would be scared to go at night unless I was going to drive very conservativly. The road would be cold and there would be nobody to come to tour rescue if you were to crash. If you go on a weekday there shouldn't be much traffic. I am not sure about the hotel but it looks like any other small hotel. And when you are on the dragon you will know!!!

If I ever stay overnight at the Dragon, I either stay at Fontana Village or in Robbinsville. I haven't ever stayed at the hotel at the Deals Gap Crossroads. There isn't a big sign that says "The Dragon is Here" (even though you can't miss the crossroads), but you will know when you're on it. It's not too difficult to find. I don't think you can just get on the Skyway and circle back around to the dragon, so you will want to chart some major highways before you try that.

Night runs aren't that bad if you know your limit. As I said, night runs are the best (and one could argue the safest).
    Bought September 25, 2004
    2005 Subaru WRX STi World Rally Blue/Gold Wheels

Mods: DOMOKUN!!!!

Sold: 1998 Ford Contour SVT

Beautiful... absolutely beautiful.. . I *WILL* make it to Deal's Gap as soon as humanly possible. I must do nice things to my suspension before I go, though.
    Forgive, O Lord, my little jokes on Thee
    And I'll forgive Thy great big one on me.
    -- Robert Frost

The dragon is sweet. Actually, alot of roads in the area are incredible. I have never driven a car down them, just sportbikes. One thing I would like to add is "keep it inside the lines!!!". I see alot of cars and bikes that make some pretty stupid moves that could have cost someone their life if there had been oncoming traffic. Drive hard but not over your head and you'll have a blast.

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum since i have a 2.5 RS. anyway, there is a subaru meet at the Dragon next weekend. here is the link to all the info:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...=663848&page=1

Hope to see you guys out there.

Steven

Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

Not to beat a dead horse, but this is NOT what to do at the gap. BTW, have fun next weekend to those that do go....it is an experience and a half.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wronglane_cobra.jpg   wronglane_sti.jpg   wronglane_Z28.jpg  

The Dragon's incredible.

I had so much fun driving and talking with everybody that came Saturday... I can't wait to mod my suspension and do that again!
    Forgive, O Lord, my little jokes on Thee
    And I'll forgive Thy great big one on me.
    -- Robert Frost