CA: Wine tasting and beautiful scenery

This is a discussion on CA: Wine tasting and beautiful scenery within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Take the 101 Northbound for about 3 hours out of town. This turns into Highway 1 when you reach the ...

Thumbs up CA: Wine tasting and beautiful scenery

Take the 101 Northbound for about 3 hours out of town. This turns into Highway 1 when you reach the ocean. When you reach Highway 46 it leads to Cambria and Hearst Castle. Along Highway 46 there are about 5-6 great wineries where you can sample some really good stuff. (If you had gone on the 46 east, there are more wineries but not the best IMO) Stay on the 46 west until you reach Cambria. This is a small town surrounded by pine trees and right next to the beach, which is covered in black sand and gigantic pieces of driftwood. Some pieces are the whole damn tree! I just spent a few days up there. The weather was perfect. If your eye catches it, there is a Firestone micro brewery right before you get to Highway 46 on your right hand side. Good stuff. Make sure to get the "sampler", which consists of 4 different brews they make. About $5/set. When you turn in your "paddle", you get a free pint glass to take home. Make sure to bring a fine woman with you.

When in Cambria, stop by Caren's Corner for some awesome ice cream.
    Last edited by AjIsDope; 06-21-2003 at 09:22 PM.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Here are some sights to see on the way:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cambria 1-2.jpg  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cambria 5-2.jpg  

At the end of Cambria, you will arrive at the black sand beach. Make sure to check out the huge driftwood pieces.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cambria 6-2.jpg  

If i was from California I would probably be all over that drive! Damn that first picture is awe inspiring!

Long Island isn't exactly known for mountains....
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

I have that photo as my desktop background. These pictures don't even do it justice. It was amazing out there. I hope to move up to that area at some point. I HIGHLY recommend taking this drive. All pics were taken on my 3.2MEG Sony DSC-P52 digi cam.

That's a nice area alright.
    My wife and I went up there and then on to Monterey for our fifth anniversary. It was great! We even went to Laguna Seca!
    The best part was the drive from San Simeon to Monterey the Big Sur coat is awesome.

Next time I head up that way I want to go to Carmel with my gf. I have never been there and I have always heard how amazing it is. I will have to plan that trip VERY well.

Cool thats my home town

thats so funny i live in morro bay and just found this forum a few weeks ago i could show you the best roads around here i just hope that i can enjoy themform a wrx soon im going to look a few in the morning and should have a rex in a few day

later

I saw on the other forum (that's NASIOC check SCIC) that there is a meet and run happening soon in SLO.
    I think there are quite a few Subie owners from the college. They even have a bar that they frequent.

Registered User sidewaysdrifter's Avatar
    That was one of the places me and my wife went on our honeymoon. There is a really nice bed and breakfast there called "The J Patrick House." It was awsome. I really loved it up there. Problem is its hella expensive. The cheap houses go for 400k.

When I was little I actually used to live in a small town near there called templeton. It had only like 2500 people in the whole town. It was really nice and peaceful. I'd be nice to live up around that area again.
    Still saving for my WRX