CA: Santa Cruz
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on CA: Santa Cruz within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; This is for those of you looking for another route to Santa Cruz from Santa Clara. I get an uneasy ...

Thumbs up CA: Santa Cruz

This is for those of you looking for another route to Santa Cruz from Santa Clara. I get an uneasy feeling everytime I go through Highway 17 because of a twisty highway with trucks and crazy drivers. So I tried the trip through Highway 9 (is it?)

The road begins where Saratoga downtown ends. That was a surprise... I never knew anything existed behind it! Its a nicely paved road with lots of twisties.

However, I've only driven it through rainy days so I'm not too sure about traffic and cops =))
    Well here are the maps:

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The beginning
    *ignore the star
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.gif  

Theres skyline! (Highway 35)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.gif  

You can opt to go through Highway 236 as well... redwood trees galore... It will eventually come back to Highway 9
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.gif  

Finally we've arrived. Look it's 17...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5.gif  

There is a really cool 4 turn combination on the way back from Santa Cruz heading into Saratoga just a couple miles out of tow it's a Hard right around a pole into a U left then a sharp right to the JUMP That's right if you got the skills you can catch a good bit of air at the end of the run there:-)

As far as Cops and trafficc it is known for Weekend Bikes and Prformance cars and CHP. but during the week it known for commuters Santa Cuz to Saratoga in the morning and the opposite at night and also for it's complete lack of law enforcment during the weekdays. Unless your unfortunate to run into a sherriff coming back from a call wich has been known to happen. But I'm telling you look a little further South at 25 South of Hollister 80 miles of cop free trafficc free butt pucker driving.

All the roads up in the Santa Cruz mountains are great....if you hit them just right. All it takes is one Winnebago to ruin your whole day. And, finding that jump by accident is loads of fun. Especially on a motorcycle. Serious pucker factor.

I have driven that road too many times to count, seeing as there really is great mountain biking up top there. That jump, now that was fun to drift around on a wet day, you can get pretty loose pretty easily. Too bad I don't own a WRX yet, and am stuck to having fun in my S-10. None the less, its still a great drive with great scenery.

Another good one from Santa Clara:

Take 280 North towards San Francisco. Drive about 20 minutes and exit Woodside road. Follow this through the town, just like through Saratoga. Past the town, the road turns into Sunrise blv. or something along those lines. It is a twisty (much more so than Hwy 9) fun road filled with switchbacks, redwood trees, and beautifull vistas of the whole bay area. Once at the top, it hits Skyline Blv. wich you can either take towards San Francisco, or if you have time, drive South down Skyline until you hit Hwy 9 (Skyline links them all) and then drive back down that, ending up pretty much where you started. Great drive and not too many cops at all.

Michael

two of my favorite drives in santa cruz....

One is old santa cruz highway. I take 17 up until I get to bear creek then I swing onto old santa cruz highway...drops you off in soquel next to one of my favorite coffee shops....the Ugly Mug.

The other is a local secret.
    It's called white road. Little mountain road that bridges watsonville to aptos....instead of taking freedom blvd. Love that road..very tight turns...constant really. Only problem is it's short.

I used to drive it in high school to beat my curfew.....freedom blvd takes about 20 minutes cause their are mad cops on it. If you risk it and run it you can do it in around 12 minutes........best time on whites is a bit over 4 minutes but it usually takes about 6. I drive it for fun on my way home from my folks house at night.....only late..dusk their is a heavy dear population.

Hit a dear on Old Santa Cruz highway...have to be careful anywhere you drive. Between the yahoo yuppies driving the roads that don't move out of your way, the cops and teh dear it can be quite the adventure. Used to race people through 17 all the time...til they turned the heat up with the cops.

another good road out there is highway 29 and highway 129. But you have to hit them just right....lots of big rig traffic. Good thing about 129 is the cops are easy to loose...not that I recommend trying..just that my girlfriend lives on a road off the highway and if you hit it right you can shut the lights off and you can't be seen. Done it a couple of times on accident...see the lights flashing on the road next to me as I drive down the dirt road.....twice on purpose.

I can let any of you know where it is if you are interested.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.