AZ: some great roads
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on AZ: some great roads within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; First one: the road to Bartlett Lake. For the unfamiliar, this lake is northeast of Scottsdale - maybe 45 minutes ...

I Support ClubWRX

AZ: some great roads

First one: the road to Bartlett Lake. For the unfamiliar, this lake is northeast of Scottsdale - maybe 45 minutes out of the city. There's only one way there, and it's a phenomenal road! Extremely curvy, big dips, a few wicked straightaways, whoah. It's a blast in my Acura, so I can only imagine how it would be in a Rex (more guts than my car).

Second: the road to the summit of South Mountain (Central Ave). Central cuts straight through downtown Phoenix, but if you follow it all the way south, it turns into a park road and snakes up to the summit - if signage is followed properly. Nice, twisty, somewhat rutted road with amazing views and some great switchbacks.

Just a few easily accessible drives in this great state! Up north there's a wealth of fun stuff...
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

dream rds. for sti

Thanks for the info. Next year may take extended vacation out your way and love AZ. Thinking of driving my STI which I hope to have well outfitted by then. Live all year long in NJ and there are no roads to do real justice to the car out here. It will need a vacation by then also! HA! HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    First one: the road to Bartlett Lake. For the unfamiliar, this lake is northeast of Scottsdale - maybe 45 minutes out of the city. There's only one way there, and it's a phenomenal road! Extremely curvy, big dips, a few wicked straightaways, whoah. It's a blast in my Acura, so I can only imagine how it would be in a Rex (more guts than my car).

Second: the road to the summit of South Mountain (Central Ave). Central cuts straight through downtown Phoenix, but if you follow it all the way south, it turns into a park road and snakes up to the summit - if signage is followed properly. Nice, twisty, somewhat rutted road with amazing views and some great switchbacks.

Just a few easily accessible drives in this great state! Up north there's a wealth of fun stuff...
    One thing to watch out for on the road to Bartlett is sand. When the washes get water in them, they cascade over the road and leave sand all over the place. Drive it first and make mental notes of the sand patches if there are any. They will end your day QUICK.

Watch out for horses on the South Mt road. Also, if you lose it, you're screwed. On one side is a vertical drop and the other a vertical cliff face, or huge boulders. This is a very technical road with poor pavement. Do NOT go balls to the wall on your first try.

Trip last summer

Know this is kind of after the fact, but spent some time out there last summer-july/august-and drove a lot of places. Was on 191 and 60 and 77 and a lot of back roads while driving around. Love your state of Arizona, even fun to drive on the Interstates, not many cops. But a beautiful state with great people. Hopefully will be back soon! SFRinNJ

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.