CA: Ooooh You Guys are Going To LOVE This Drive....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on CA: Ooooh You Guys are Going To LOVE This Drive.... within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; The other day the weather was incredible - bright, sunny, warm in the 70's, and clear as a bell. Me ...

Talking CA: Ooooh You Guys are Going To LOVE This Drive....

The other day the weather was incredible - bright, sunny, warm in the 70's, and clear as a bell. Me and my friend were getting restless and had nothing to do, so we decided to go for a drive. We started in Van Nuys, CA and headed north on the 101 fwy. We got off at Topanga Canyon and headed south. This road winds through the hills and opens up at Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu. Right at the ocean. We drove down PCH for a few minutes and found a place to grab a bite to eat. Nothing fancy, just La Salsa. There are a ton of great seafood restaurants around there though. Take your pick. We drove up PCH a little more until we hit Malibu Canyon road. We took that up more winding roads through the hills back towards Van Nuys. We made a right turn onto Mulholland which went through some beautiful areas with some nice homes (and some for sale ). Mulholland cut back to Topanga Canyon and we took that back down to Van Nuys. The whole trip took us about 1.5-2 hours of leisurely driving.

I so wished I had a WRX at the time.....
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Stop it! This is just mean! Here I am as moderator of Fun Drives, and every road in 75% of Ohio goes either straight north/south, or straight east/west!

Seriously though. That sounds like an amazing route. Even I recognize some of these more famous driving roads. Does it get crowded, or are there plenty of passing opportunities?

Thanks for contributing,
    Steve

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

These roads are pretty smooth moving. I have never really encountered alot of traffic through these parts. During the summer Topanga Cyn. can get a bit busy with so many people going to the beach. For the most part these areas are only two lane streets, one in each direction, so no passing. Still alot of fun though.....

Haha...the Malibu La Salsa

Up until a couple of months ago I lived in Santa Monica. It's funny, I really don't like La Salsa that much but I swear I've eaten outside at that La Salsa at least 50 times. I also have a friend who lives in Hidden Hills so even now driving up from OC I ditch the 405 in SM, take PCH, and turn up Malibu Canyon Road. It's definitely not a speed demon road but it's pretty none the less and has a tunnel (unbeliavable for those of you with BOVs).

There are tons of great roads and hiking near the LA / Ventura county line as well, and those are much more deserted. Oh, in terms of other great Malibu roadside eateries, I wholeheartedly recommend Malibu Chicken. It's just north of a La Salsa (on the other side of the road) and offers outdoor dining as well.

Stephen

Malibu Chicken...

Ha! As I was turning around to go back to La Salsa, I noticed that Malibu Chicken and thought: "Damn. That sounds good..."

Next time.....

I was on a "escape from LA" cruise with a bunch of people from several forums once and we took that route. Sunset, Mulhullland, PCH. unfortunately, it was at night so most of the beautiful scenery was...well, not visible.

Bummer. Take a woman and go back on a nice sunny day. You won't regret it.

You missed out bro!!! Okay i live right off Malibu Canyon road, well today im moving but thats a moot point. If you were to take that right on Mullhuland and then another right on Stunt Road you would have been in for a treat, or you could stay on Mullhuland past topanga and it turns into a durt road that is good for some fun. There is some great driving out he guys, before i movei to georga i wana get togather with you all and hit the Canyons!
    2003 WR Blue WRX - Godspeed Up/Down pipe - Prodrive Axel Back - MBC (14.75psi in 3rd) - 220 WHP on Dynopak (93oct)

Thanks for the heads up. I took the same route as before yet again the other day with a cute girl by my side. I'll check out the other roads you suggested. Thanks!

Originally posted by smorris
    Stop it! This is just mean! Here I am as moderator of Fun Drives, and every road in 75% of Ohio goes either straight north/south, or straight east/west!

Seriously though. That sounds like an amazing route. Even I recognize some of these more famous driving roads. Does it get crowded, or are there plenty of passing opportunities?

Thanks for contributing,
    Steve
    Yup it's pretty cool to be able to go skiing and surfing in the same afternoon!
    Everytime I get a new suspension mod I "test" it on the twisties going up the mountain.

PCH...speed...no good.

The chp has so crazy fast cars out there. No use trying to get away no matter what you drive....they are pretty cool if you make it easy on them.

Some nice canyon runs out there though.

But I can't say that I miss SoCal to much.

love it up here.

And yes.......living in santa cruz is great. Can hit the beach inthe morning and get to the slopes by 11 to ride all day. Then hit the beach again for some beer and fraternization. Miss living there...shall move back some day. That's my home...family is there. I am there every weekend plus some.

Fremont sucks....commuting to San Francisco sucks....

Speeding on PCH - A Bit of Advice

Originally posted by OneManArmy
    PCH...speed...no good.
    Good advice! PCH is crawling with CHP and LA County Sheriffs. Here's an insider tip...

Keep it under 70. That seems to be the magic number. I've been pulled over doing 72 (got off with "diplomatic immunity"), been totally ignored at 69 and below. This applies to the open stretches of PCH between Oxnard and Zuma Beach. Once you're inside Malibu (the town itself) the posted speed is 45. Don't exceed 60 or you'll probably be nailed. I commute down PCH every day, and typically see 3 x CHP cruisers, 1 x LASD SUV, 3 x LASD cruisers, and at least 1 x CHP bike. That's EIGHT possible tickets over a 40 mile stretch.

Luckily for us WRX owners, they don't have enough to cover all of the little back-country canyon roads through the Santa Monica mountains. You'll find cops on the major ones (Mulholland, Malibu, Topanga) but as for the obscure ones, it's a totally random chance.

And don't do anything stupid, otherwise dad will have to write a report while they pick your bits out of the wreckage! (Don't mean to sound like a dad... but I am one!)

Bump.

I will probably do this again very soon. The weather is awesome right now.

Cool

Man, i cant wait to get back to LA, i live in Atlanta right now (ITS THE PITTS!!). Although i hope to get together with about 200 other suby peeps and do 'the dragon' deals gap which is about 2 hours north of me. But in a few months it will be back to stunt road!!!
    2003 WR Blue WRX - Godspeed Up/Down pipe - Prodrive Axel Back - MBC (14.75psi in 3rd) - 220 WHP on Dynopak (93oct)

Right now it is about 75*F. Thought I might throw that in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast