NY: Good driving in NY State - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on NY: Good driving in NY State within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I'm from the Mohawk Valley, Utica area ishh. I prefer any dirt road possible as a rally enthusiast. I like ...

I'm from the Mohawk Valley, Utica area ishh. I prefer any dirt road possible as a rally enthusiast. I like to take rides up to Harrisville/Natural Bridge/Carthage areas. If your familiar with the Black River Stages rally race, you will know what I'm talking about. Look it up online. Awesome weekend fun in late September every year!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DemenTia View Post
    My favorite road of ALL TIME is Rt 218 between West Point and Cornwall NY (over storm king mountain). It can be followed up with Rt 293 past all the military training sites to Monroe and the Palisades parkway for some more high speed driving.

Most weekends you'll find me doing at least 4-5 runs on this road after scoping for the rare cop...

Also need to watch for cyclists if the weather is nice, but the view at the peak of the road is amazing.
    You are absolutely right about cyclists, especially in summer. I went for a ride with a friend on that road few years ago and nearly hit a cyclists, we slid few feet but the cyclists was a woman and she was nice.
    Anyways, make sure you checkout the cyclists groups who often do rally.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin7658 View Post
    My girlfriend lives in Buffalo so i make many trips there from Rochester and i90 is such a boring road, and there are cops everywhere on it - plus i hate paying tolls. Does anyone know a better route that i could take to and from buffalo?

Also i just recently purchased my WRX and am looking for good roads to drive it on around Rochester so if anyone has any suggestions it would be really helpful
    Try the Lake Ontario Parkway, 104, 31, 31A, or 20. All work, some just take a lot more time.

For cool roads around Rochester, head south to the areas around Victor, Canandaigua, and Honeoye Falls.
    ------------------------
    2012 SWP STI Sedan

There are some spectacular roads in the Finger Lakes, specifically near Cayuga and Seneca on the way to the Glen.

the most fun ive had driving in ny was,on tupper lake last winter. awd fun on the ice had the ice fisherman cheering and my girl friend screaming for her life

Since I don't live in that area any more I don't mind sharing one of my favorite roads ever. This is a road that's best driven at night because there's a lot of blind corners you'll want to cut that are WAY too dangerous to do during the day. At night you can see oncoming headlights to warn you:
    New Croton Reservoir, Westchester, New York - Google Maps

It's Croton Dam Road that goes N-S in the link above. There's a ton of "Croton Dam Roads" in that area so make sure you find the right one! I know of a lot of other really fun twisty roads in that area too if anybody's interested. My dad lived in that area for over 20 years and it's where I learned how to drive. Send me a PM if you want more info!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Hey all, new to the forum but I know some of these spots very well...I am prob quite a bit older than most of you guys LOL so I can tell you from experience and getting busted LOL
    Saw Mill Pkwy, very curvy road with traffic lights throughout, especially south of Elmsford..watch out for DEER, tons of them out there!!

Taconic Pkwy..WATCH OUT FOR TROOPERS AND DEER..both are everywhere and the troopers WILL get you, they hide in spots you will never see, believe me on that-I had a mustang a few years back and got caught more than once on that road LOL!!! Deer will get you too, they've ruined a few friends car in the past!

Drive safe!

Another great road in NY is RT 301 coming out of Cold Springs NY...ridden by alot of sport bikes and harleys, very curvy road...lots of fun...just watch out for the local PoPo, they are out there sometimes also.
    Bear Mtn, another great rd, very curvy and hilly with some nice views but watch out for the Motorcycles guys, tons of them out there on nice days and oh yeah--this road is also used by trucks so watch those blind turns or youll be in for a surprise on the other end! Bear Mtn State pk every wednesday night through the summer has a great car show...lots of nice cars up there!

Route 8 from Speculator to Gore Mountain is pretty intense

+1 for Adirondacks I live up in Plattsburgh...exit 26 down 8 is a great run ! Exit 29 and 30 are nice pretty much anywhere up off 87 into the mountains or along lake Champlain is spectacular in our cars!

from NJ on 17 to 17A to Harrisman state park to palisades. Many curves drive carefully awesome scenery.

Anyone saying any road down state, you have no clue what read back road driving is.

Sent from my Fone

Jackie robinson. Short but a good road. @SDub, my aunt and uncle have a house upstate near newport/little falls. Loves those back roads.

When i can't sleep or i just need to go for a drive to relax, i do the cookie loop.

jackie robinson to grand central to northern state to meadowbrook to ocean parkway up to robert-moses to southern state to sagtikos to L.I.E. to northern state to L.I.E to Cross island to grand central to jackie robinson and back to my house. About a 1 1/2 hour round trip maybe a little more.
    Ill pull up a map on google maps.

Between 1-4 in the morning it is almost completely empty. Just a nice cruise.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...ps2db92f72.png
    Last edited by silvercookie; 11-01-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silvercookie View Post
    Jackie robinson. Short but a good road. @SDub, my aunt and uncle have a house upstate near newport/little falls. Loves those back roads.

When i can't sleep or i just need to go for a drive to relax, i do the cookie loop.

jackie robinson to grand central to northern state to meadowbrook to ocean parkway up to robert-moses to southern state to sagtikos to L.I.E. to northern state to L.I.E to Cross island to grand central to jackie robinson and back to my house. About a 1 1/2 hour round trip maybe a little more.
    Ill pull up a map on google maps.

Between 1-4 in the morning it is almost completely empty. Just a nice cruise.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...ps2db92f72.png
    I love the Jackie especially by cypress ave.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States
    Cyril, next time your in the NY/MA/CT area let me know... Couple fun roads around me to feel her hug the road. 5 minutes from Hillsdale, 15 north of CT... Gotta replace my engine (bought it with a **** rod, and no proof that the previous owner knew about it), but i got to enjoy her a couple times before it happened...

Hell, if any of you are doing a cruise in my area, let know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.