NY: Good driving in NY State - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on NY: Good driving in NY State within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; ...if you are in ithaca and have some time and fuel to burn here are a few roads to wet ...

Ithaca Driving

...if you are in ithaca and have some time and fuel to burn here are a few roads to wet your pallet.

the famed west king to sand banks road traverses the distance between 96-b and 13
    route 327 off of route 13 toward enfield (the bridge is my favorite)
    east miller road right on coddington road right on 96-b
    bald hill road left on michigan hollow road right on smiley hill road right on irish hill road straight on signor hill road right on fisher hill back to 96/34

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Central NY driving

Quote Originally Posted by lwlpunk View Post
    ...if you are in ithaca and have some time and fuel to burn here are a few roads to wet your pallet.

the famed west king to sand banks road traverses the distance between 96-b and 13
    route 327 off of route 13 toward enfield (the bridge is my favorite)
    east miller road right on coddington road right on 96-b
    bald hill road left on michigan hollow road right on smiley hill road right on irish hill road straight on signor hill road right on fisher hill back to 96/34

i agree, this is a great drive. you may also know of one of my favorites, as it is not far from here. the famed swartwood hill road, between breesport and spencer, just south of ithaca. very fun up or downhill...5 or 6 mile stretch, great curves and one insane switchback

Rochester To Buffalo

My girlfriend lives in Buffalo so i make many trips there from Rochester and i90 is such a boring road, and there are cops everywhere on it - plus i hate paying tolls. Does anyone know a better route that i could take to and from buffalo?

Also i just recently purchased my WRX and am looking for good roads to drive it on around Rochester so if anyone has any suggestions it would be really helpful

My favorite road of ALL TIME is Rt 218 between West Point and Cornwall NY (over storm king mountain). It can be followed up with Rt 293 past all the military training sites to Monroe and the Palisades parkway for some more high speed driving.

Most weekends you'll find me doing at least 4-5 runs on this road after scoping for the rare cop...

Also need to watch for cyclists if the weather is nice, but the view at the peak of the road is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonWRX View Post
    My comments on the initial post and additions to this thread. I grew up in Rockland County, NY and as a serious outdoor sport and WRX enthusiast, I've seen my share of cool places to visit & drive. I think cyrilgrey hit a few good ones so here are my comments on the post:

#1: awesome run, but watch for the fuzz, seriously
    #2: watch the traffic and crappy road condition
    #4: most of 17 has too many cops to comfortably open up
    #5: Bear Mountain and Harriman State Parks are MY DOMAIN. I love it there. Not a lot of miles of road and they can be rough in spots, but if you run it a few times and learn the lines (and watch for deer especially at sunset) there are some pretty cool quick adrenaline boosts to be had - pick up a park map and explore, it's only 54,000 acres!
    #7: BE REALLY CAREFUL ESPECIALLY AT SUNSET AND AFTER DARK. I hit a deer going 50MPH in the rain (long story, but no way to escape when it's wet and you have guard rails w/in inches of your car, so slammo for the now deceased hoofed idiot that got in my way and $2000 in repair - pics available if you want - Moral of the story, watch the f out on ANY Parkway that runs through a park surrounded by suburban sprawl in NY - deer everywhere!

Route 6 south of the Bear Mountain bridge is cool if you can get on it when you're not stuck behind some dumb scaredy-cat tool driver or a big truck or something-very rare, I tend to pull over into an area on the side of the road, wait for as long as I can and bust out in front of someone so I know I have some lead time on my run .

Also, a lot of the roads in the Catskill park are great, especially the ones that take you to higher elevations in the mtns. I'd suggest taking a look at the NYNJTC trail maps and exploring! I also can suggest some great hikes and backpacking ventures up there if you all are interested.

Happy driving!
    where in rockland, if you don't mind me asking?

i'm in rockland too. 9w is so much fun if you go when there is no traffic. it runs along side the hudson; its basically a touge lol
    2003 ABP DC5
    1983 Z28 Camaro
    D1GP/Formula Drift/JDM Allstars/Just Drift

I Support ClubWRX
    Coming from NYC ,which exit do I take off of I-87 to get to 9W?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

o god i dont know. but if you take the last exist before you get to the tappan zee bridge from the rockland county side, it is basically right there (somewhere). you'll end up in nyack. get on it there. then you can either take it to Piermont which is a one lane road but it is soooo smooth and that will go to jersey. or go upstate which has worse roads but goes all the way to......somewhere far upstate lol. i took it down from newsburgh once and at 1 point its a two road highway along side the hudson river with a steep hill drop and then all you see is the hudson river straight ahead!! 70 degree turn and then its a downhill drift for your life haha. i was going 90 and i almost spunout into the hudson countless times lmao good times
    2003 ABP DC5
    1983 Z28 Camaro

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks ,will make the trip next weekend if the weather is good,this weekend has rain forecast.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

no problem. i'm probably over hyping the road but i have fun on it. i hear cops over hanging around there know though so keep an eye out
    2003 ABP DC5
    1983 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Thanks ,will make the trip next weekend if the weather is good,this weekend has rain forecast.
    are you going to the victory meet?

I Support ClubWRX
    I would love to,but I have family matters to deal with.Maybe next time.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

1. The 301 which begins near Cold Springs, NY (you can actually begin at Route 9) or up by Carmel, NY (at the intersection of 52 and route 6). I would begin at Carmel so you can finish down by Cold Springs and chill at one of the restaurants/bars/cafes before heading out for more. Nice curves and straightaways; almost 18 miles long. It's only a two lane so if you're unlucky to be behind a very slow car, it can suck. With a Subie, you should be able to pass even at solid lines but be careful (obviously). It's a famous route for motorbikes and bikers. The motorbikes shouldn't slow you down but be wary of them because most of them rip it. If you run into a cop it will be a sheriff/local police patrol. You hardly see them but I'm sure they're around. Beautiful run. I do this run both on my Suzuki Gsxr and Wrx and I do not run into too many cars.

2. The Bronx Parkway which can be found by the Kensico Dam, close to Route 22 (you can get it from the Taconic if heading south on the Sprain, or if you're heading north on the Bronx River Parkway just north of the Cross County Parkway exits. There are some wicked curves on here especially the first one if you're heading south from White Plains (it's a nice S-curve going uphill). If you mess up the wall will be scraping your car, or worse. There's another S-curve further down when heading south. It's nice because if you approach it while heading south, this S-curve is on a negative slope. If you do the parkway heading north from the Bronx or Yonkers, it's an opposite experience. There are other curves and some straights too. Few areas where cops can speed trap, but county cops have been seen. Morning runs on weekends are the best, especially on Sundays. During the weekdays, after/before the morning/evening rush hours.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmm,I drive the BRP everyday on the way to work.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

BRP would be great to run without other cars, and good weather. Less deer than SMRP too.
    ~::2011 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited WRB::~

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast