NY: Good driving in NY State - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on NY: Good driving in NY State within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I set up an Audi RS6 ride in Ulster county— all backroads and a real blast! I have maps and ...

I set up an Audi RS6 ride in Ulster county— all backroads and a real blast! I have maps and route directions. I'd love to repeat it with a WRX crowd.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

rs6er,

I will be going up to ulster county next weekend - any chance you could let me know what the good roads are that you took on the Audi trip? Thanks.

[QUOTE=TGYBE]
    I will be going up to ulster county next weekend - any chance you could let me know what the good roads are that you took on the Audi trip? Thanks.

Send your email address to naitove@verizon.net

I personally love the sawmill parkway...I'm just the kind of irresponsible teenager to get a kick out of that sort of thing though...

Quote Originally Posted by WillMX
    hellafast im ashamed to say that ive rallied with you. not once did you ever mention sweet hollow.....at 2am....in the pitch black....with the ghosts

oh christ, not the ****ing sweet hollow legend

I always liked the winding roads of the North Shore of Long Island.

You can't really get up to high speeds, but taking 25A all the way out, you wind through beautiful corners, great woods, and can hit up a lot of the seafood places along the way out past Port Jeff. I think it goes all the way out to Orient Point.

If you live in Nassau or Queens, driving all the way out and back is like going into an entirely different world.... and no tolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrsx

You can't really get up to high speeds, but taking 25A all the way out, you wind through beautiful corners, great woods, and can hit up a lot of the seafood places along the way out past Port Jeff. I think it goes all the way out to Orient Point.

If you live in Nassau or Queens, driving all the way out and back is like going into an entirely different world.... and no tolls.
    Yeah, I love my hometown roads, so much more interesting than here at school in maryland

Time to bring this thread back up again.

Originally being from LI some of the roads Out East offer up a good summer drive (when not packed with beach traffic). But there is nothing I enjoy more then taking a good day trip up through the Adirondacks. Taking Rt 28 and 30 north heading the the Lake Placid direction. There is some beautiful road way and scenery. I can't wait for this spring to take that first trip with the windows down through the mountians.

I can't say that I would entirely recommend this drive, but it's definitely interesting. I was up visiting a friend in Watertown a couple of weeks ago and decided to take a drive while he was at work.

From Watertown, I drove to Lowville and straight through to Eagle Bay, NY via Stillwater Reservoir. This will take you out to RT 28. Old Forge is only 12 miles south or so.

Bear in mind, this road is pretty treacherous. I did it in the beginning of march and the road was in HORRIBLE shape. It's usually hard-packed dirt, but in the winter it's muddy, rutted, and snowy. I only ran into a few people out there too, so definitely be careful. These are some of the more remote areas of the Adirondacks.

It's also a fairly long trip - about 26 miles and it takes several hours. Literally, I left it in second gear and crept up and down hills.

In the summer, this drive is much better and more enjoyable, but if you're looking for some adventure on a seldom-used road, check this one out. I've got some digital photos of this trip somewhere, I'll have to see if I can find them...

Definitely proved the worth of my wagon!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrsx

Nice call, my cousin turned me on to the north shore. The twisties are nice, hard to believe how rural it can be up there.....keep a sharp eye on the oak trees.

I would have to say Rte 17 sucks, but here is a great loop off from 17. This is especially nice in the fall. Get off 17 at Deposit, take Rte 8 north, then go east on Rte 10 along the Cannonsville Reservoir. This stretch of road is killer. Take Rte 10 through Walton and Delhi. At Delhi take Rte 28 southeast, which goes through Andes. Route 28 hits Rte 30 near Margaretville. Go west on Rte 30 along the Pepacton Reservoir. Stay on Rte 30 and it rejoins Rte 17 at East Branch. Try this route in either direction depending on which way you are heading on 17. You won't be dissapointed.
    Enjoy
    Mike

My comments

My comments on the initial post and additions to this thread. I grew up in Rockland County, NY and as a serious outdoor sport and WRX enthusiast, I've seen my share of cool places to visit & drive. I think cyrilgrey hit a few good ones so here are my comments on the post:

#1: awesome run, but watch for the fuzz, seriously
    #2: watch the traffic and crappy road condition
    #4: most of 17 has too many cops to comfortably open up
    #5: Bear Mountain and Harriman State Parks are MY DOMAIN. I love it there. Not a lot of miles of road and they can be rough in spots, but if you run it a few times and learn the lines (and watch for deer especially at sunset) there are some pretty cool quick adrenaline boosts to be had - pick up a park map and explore, it's only 54,000 acres!
    #7: BE REALLY CAREFUL ESPECIALLY AT SUNSET AND AFTER DARK. I hit a deer going 50MPH in the rain (long story, but no way to escape when it's wet and you have guard rails w/in inches of your car, so slammo for the now deceased hoofed idiot that got in my way and $2000 in repair - pics available if you want - Moral of the story, watch the f out on ANY Parkway that runs through a park surrounded by suburban sprawl in NY - deer everywhere!

Route 6 south of the Bear Mountain bridge is cool if you can get on it when you're not stuck behind some dumb scaredy-cat tool driver or a big truck or something-very rare, I tend to pull over into an area on the side of the road, wait for as long as I can and bust out in front of someone so I know I have some lead time on my run .

Also, a lot of the roads in the Catskill park are great, especially the ones that take you to higher elevations in the mtns. I'd suggest taking a look at the NYNJTC trail maps and exploring! I also can suggest some great hikes and backpacking ventures up there if you all are interested.

Happy driving!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrilgrey
    Feel free to add to this please.

Great roads to travel: (somewhat random order)

#1: My opinion of best in the state: Taconic parkway from I-84 junction to Albany. All curves, best views, good traffic flow. Watch out for state troopers with Camaro SS and more importantly watch those crossroads.
    #2: Hutchinson River Parkway from Whitestone bridge to White plains: High speed, tight curves the whole way, not too many places for a cop to sit. Traffic flow is good except during evening rush hour for saw mill exit. Also continues on to the merrit parkway in CT for some more fun driving (watch for cops up there)
    #3: I-84 western NY: Straight highway mostly. Very nice scenery up in the mountains.
    #4: Rt. 17 from lower new york to binghampton: Nice old two lane highway, good views, small scary towns. Stop at the Roscoe Diner and pick up one of those stupid bumper stickers. Good trout fishing near Roscoe in summer.
    #5: Bear Mtn: Haven't been on it yet, rave reviews from sport bike crowd. WATCH FOR BIKERS. Please, don't kill us. Nice and curvy, good mountain/forest views.
    #6: Ocean Parkway, Jones Beach: Known for flat out running, or just a nice drive day or night.Two/Three lane road. Night is entirely desolate...road runs straight for longer thanyou can believe. Historical lighthouse visible at end of road. Rabbits and other wildlife easily seen at night.
    #7: Saw Mill Parkway: Deadly, deadly, deadly road. Bear this in mind. Fast, very curvy, two lane punctuated by stop light intersections occasionally. Runs from the Bronx to white plains/684 interchange.
    #8: Forget name of road: Some of you may know this "secret road". It's a small road you can access from rockaway blvd past JFK airport. Last stoplight before five towns has a gravel mill on the left. Take that left. Road is very curvy and at night empty. Most fun on a road to be found for miles around. Do be careful, traffic flows both ways. If you screw up, you'll wind up in the swamp with dozens of stripped cars and probably some bodies.
    I love my car, don't you?

Mods

I took another road to my friend's house in Poughkepsie from Ellenville/Monticello area, the road number is 44/55 and you can take it form rt 209, the 44/55 goes over the mountain ridge and is very twisty, once you get to the top you get nice views of the Catskills from one side and as you cross the top you get to see the valley on the other side. As you keep going you can see a small tower that is situated on the very edge of a mountain top (would want to see what that tower is for).. very cool road with nice scenery. That road goes in to the Mid hudson bridge wich then goes through a very historic town with reminds me of towns in Europe called New Paltz, very very cool.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

lake road around the croton reservoir off route 100 is fun. feels like a rally.

Kingston to Ithaca

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyLevels View Post
    I can't say that I would entirely recommend this drive, but it's definitely interesting. I was up visiting a friend in Watertown a couple of weeks ago and decided to take a drive while he was at work.

From Watertown, I drove to Lowville and straight through to Eagle Bay, NY via Stillwater Reservoir. This will take you out to RT 28. Old Forge is only 12 miles south or so.

Bear in mind, this road is pretty treacherous. I did it in the beginning of march and the road was in HORRIBLE shape. It's usually hard-packed dirt, but in the winter it's muddy, rutted, and snowy. I only ran into a few people out there too, so definitely be careful. These are some of the more remote areas of the Adirondacks.

It's also a fairly long trip - about 26 miles and it takes several hours. Literally, I left it in second gear and crept up and down hills.

In the summer, this drive is much better and more enjoyable, but if you're looking for some adventure on a seldom-used road, check this one out. I've got some digital photos of this trip somewhere, I'll have to see if I can find them...

Definitely proved the worth of my wagon!
    I drive route 28 any time i commute from home in kingston to school in ithaca or back. recently around the woodstock area a bridge has been under repair with a bridge out. there are several loooooooooong straigt aways that are clear on both sides making them ideal for trouble free high speed runs. watch out for the small town speed traps(especially around vergil) the road has a fairly low volume of traffic and it is also extremely easy to pass on. the real part of the drive doesnt start untill you hit the ny city reservoir. route 30 into downsville paralells the lakes for over 20 miles of wonderful twisting turning roads. unfortunatly because of low volume traffic and harsh winter conditions the road is not in the greatest shape. occasional pot holes make the ride alittle bumpy. fortunatly the road is rarely traveled by police(i have only seen one statie on the road ever, he was traveling back to HQ on route 28). the turns are sharp and slightly banked in most cases. from downsville take 206 toward whitney point. 206 winds up and down various mountains as is the longest part of the journey. again be careful entering and leaving towns but enjoy the spaces inbetween. the road is smooth and well maintained. the last part of the journey is route 79 into ithaca. by this point you have been in your car for about 3 hours (2hours and 30 minutes if you make good time )and the axiety of reaching ithaca is building so what do you do? STOMP IT!! 79 is almost always cop free until you reach about 10 miles outside of ithaca(i have seen a statie sitting at the convience store about 8 miles outside of town shooting radar at people leaving the ithaca area)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast