CO: Boulder Canyon

This is a discussion on CO: Boulder Canyon within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; so i've had my car for about five weeks now, and decided it was time to really get down to ...

CO: Boulder Canyon

so i've had my car for about five weeks now, and decided it was time to really get down to business... i met up with djrez last night for a bit and he showed me the road into Boulder Canyon, which is only a few miles from where i live . it was nighttime, and sitting in his passenger seat was fun and all, but i decided to head back in my own rex today, and while the sun was still out.

i headed up there with two friends, and it starts off as nice long switchbacks, and as you get increasingly higher up, it gets tighter and steeper. the paved part was really a lot of fun, and i was getting a better feel for my cars cornering abilities.

if you are lucky, and pick a good side road, then the pavement will end and you'll find yourself on a relatively wide, flat, twisty dirt road. i was lucky enough to be chosen for this experience, and felt comfortable enough a few times to swing my back end out around a turn (the cliff on one side was keeping me in check). anyways, it was a TON of fun, and i'm hoping to get back up there sometime soon...

if you live near Boulder and want to go for a drive one day, let me know and i'll show you specifically where i went to find this dirt road. from now on i'm always up for a drive there!

o-|-<) bryan

p.s. if you live around Boulder and know of any other drives... take me!! pavement, dirt, whatever... i'm hooked on the twisties

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think I've been on this very same road as you. It was a couple of hairpin turns on pavement, then the pavement ends and there are some hairpin turns on gravel, one of which I almost biffed on, I couldn't get the front end to grab at all so I just went straight.

Nick c.
    Have you ever heard the words
    I'm singing in these songs?
    It's for the girl I've loved all along
    Can a taste of love be so wrong?

I have had my REX wagon for a few months now and i havent had a chance to really tear down some dirt roads, I live in the tech center and I have no problem driving up to Boulder for a nice drive thru the canyons. Send me a Pm or post and well try to hook up for a fun run.

Peace
    Kory

I Support ClubWRX
    I used to live there and I think I know what road you're talking about also. Starting near Pearl do you head West on Canyon St. (Blvd.?) until it starts climbing? I think that's the one...it's been years. For other nice Colorado twisty drives, how about the Peak to Peak highway? That's a good way to test out you and your car's oxygen using capability. That's in Rocky Mountain National Park - gorgeous up there. Other than that, I think there were some cool, twisty roads south of Boulder near Eldorado Springs/Lyon - but I can't remember exactly where. Ahhh, I want to go back really bad.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I go to school at CU and have driven the canyon too, it's a lot of fun. Another fun drive is Flagstaff Mtn... Just keep goin up Baseline. You have to get on it on a Tuesday afternoon or something or else it gets crouded with slow drivers.

Holy old post batman!!! jk man. What are you studying? I'm at CU as well.

wow its the 2 year anniversary of this thread... which means my car is 2 1/2 . oh those were the days where my car had 16" all seasons and sat at a reasonable height to do just about anything. its a monster on paved road, but i do miss being able to take it into the dirt...
    anyways, go check out this road if you havent already! its realllly fun, just be careful.
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Ya, I saw that this was an old thread but whateva', I just started posting on this one since I got fed up with the "know-it-alls" at wrxtuners.com. Im doin that new Quantitative Finance program at CU.

Fun Drives

I live in Westminster, I used to work in Boulder, but I need to find a nice dirt road to clown on, Where's it @?

T. Paul

Boulder CO backroads

Lived for 13 years in Boulder, but left in 95. Drove to Eldora to snowboard alot; had a girlfriend who lived in Ward - I know that area like the back of my hand, and there are alot of cool roads. I only wish I had my Rex when I lived there.
    Tasty tidbit (one of many): Follow Canyon Blvd up Boulder Canyon. About a mile out of town is Fourmile Canyon Road (road 89) to the right. Continue up 89 and stay to the left at the Poorman Road (road 79) intersection. Through the one-horse town of Crisman stay on 89 which forks right towards the town of Salina. Now you can choose at the next fork: left up Fourmile Canyon Road again (which heads toward the small town of Sunset which burned up in the ol' Sugarloaf Fire back in the day) or up 89 futher to the super small town of Gold Hill. From there, its a pretty easy link up to Peak to Peak highway, which goes back toward Nederland, which with a left from Nederland you're back down toward Boulder. These roads are mostly paved, but toward Gold Hill, there's some dirt roads. This area is full of twisties and relatively unbusy (at least it was back in the mid-90's).
    Have fun and give an update of the fun-factor in a WRX.
    Word em up.

i'm going to get off topic for a second. crazycam was that you who passed by me by the dq across from the buffs store on the hill on mon night i think? if it was you beautiful wagon.
    Last edited by 05SilverSti; 05-30-2005 at 07:55 AM.

Wanting to go on a group drive

whats up, i just joined the site but was wondering if anyone would be interested in going on a group canyon drive. ive been wanting to do this ever since i got my wrx. also, i just got my rex about a month ago and right now it has new blizzak winter tires on it and i was wondering if i they would work alright for a canyon drive (i know they probably wont grip too good but i dont really have money to buy good street tires until the summer).