NC, TN: The Dragon
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on NC, TN: The Dragon within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Highway 129 in North Carolina/Tennessee. 318 turns in 11 miles!...

The Dragon

Highway 129 in North Carolina/Tennessee. 318 turns in 11 miles!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

by far that is the most fun ever!

Just read this article in Men's J. I want to go now.........................

http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure...tennessee.html

Yeah that place rocks, I just got back from there yesterday actually. I am about 3 hours from the area there. I have been there 3 times now and I love it. Just took my wifes 350z this past time, and the last two times I took my Honda CBR. Hopefully I will have some cool pics here in the next few days to show the area and all. I plan on getting a STI around February or so, we should organize some type of meet in that area. That would rock! You should check out www.killboy.com for some cool photos of the gap. I am hoping that Darryl and his crew got some cool shots of my Z when I was there. Ron, the guy who rode in the porche with the reporter from that article is a cool guy. I have stayed in one of the three cabins he and his wife own in the area. Pretty cool for large groups. Plus they have pretty big garages on two of the cabins, and they are pretty much set on the Skyway, about 15 mins or so from the gap.

Anyways, defiantly worth the trip up there.

-- Chris

I go at least once a year, it is so fun!
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

there is a bunch of us going up there this sunday (aug 20th). Here are some thread of pictures I have taken up there, been in, along with video from up there:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=147151

Few newer pictures of the WRX on the dragon

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146753

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145095

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=144142

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=144684

TN/NC: Some pictures from the Dragon 7-2-06

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142474

I have more video --much better video, but having problems getting it from DVD i made from my MiniDV camera to a format that putfile will accept.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Banned
    Dragonslayers, I am attacking the Rt. 129 early on September 8th! Anyone have any tips or advice for the area?

Seth and Weasel, I am looking in your direction...
    Last edited by mbs627; 07-24-2007 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mbs627 View Post
    I am attacking the Dragon early on September 8th! Anyone have any tips or advice for the area?
    the earlier in the day you can go, the better. pre 10am and after 5 pm has the least traffic

stay in your lane

be prepared to have some motorcycles pass you.

check tire pressure before you run

dont drive crazy. there has been a big increase in police up there recently. mostly only ticketing for insane speeding and obvious wreckless driving

Banned

I'm probably going to leave my hotel in Etowah around 7 AM because I want the road to myself as much as possible.

I'm probably going to leave my hotel in Etowah around 7 AM because I want the road to myself as much as possible.
    that time of year the leaves might start turning colors so it could make for a semi colorful experience.

also, be careful of early morning moisture on the roads. They dont dry that quickly from dew or any rain due to the fact that the trees let little direct sunlight thru. It can make some corners tricky and even slick.

better off making a run or two thru at a slower pace to get to know the road conditions, traffic, and any police that might be lurking. I doubt any police will be up there that early but there is always the chance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru View Post
    that time of year the leaves might start turning colors so it could make for a semi colorful experience.

also, be careful of early morning moisture on the roads. They dont dry that quickly from dew or any rain due to the fact that the trees let little direct sunlight thru. It can make some corners tricky and even slick.

better off making a run or two thru at a slower pace to get to know the road conditions, traffic, and any police that might be lurking. I doubt any police will be up there that early but there is always the chance.
    Thanks! I'm probably going to get 2 northbound and one southbound pass since this is really supposed to be a roadtrip to Georgia and back

Thanks! I'm probably going to get 2 northbound and one southbound pass since this is really supposed to be a roadtrip to Georgia and back
    make sure to stop and get a shirt and some stickers at the store on the NC side. they also have good food at the grill there at that store.

tree of shame pictures are a must for any trip thru the dragon!

I'm curious as to what keeps cops and other traffic law enforcement from patrolling this section of road in swarms, given its popularity and frequent discussions about it as such, online.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Some people go through their whole lives wondering if they ever made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem.
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by mike05STi View Post
    I'm curious as to what keeps cops and other traffic law enforcement from patrolling this section of road in swarms, given its popularity and frequent discussions about it as such, online.
    if you go into the store, you can see part of the reason...multiple police vehicles over the hillside from trying to give chase.

that and them chasing people makes for a bad situation for others on the road. there were a lot of wrecks from police chases involving other vehicles on the dragon.

you see them patrol sometimes just random drive thrus, sometimes they will stop and talk to a few of the photographers. Rarely would give tickets unless you were being a moron.

it is funny and scarey to have a sport bike flying in front of you and cop come the other way. talk about a 'pucker' situation.

they are out a little heavier now because of some big wrecks lately. they had their first fatalities of the year here just recently. www.tailofthedragon.com has some info on the police and on the wrecks.

they are looking for extremely high speeds, wreckless driving, and some things that some sport bikes are known for (slicks, plate either in the wrong plate or non existant, no lights, insuranc verification, registration, etc).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.