Central Oregon/Aufderheide Highway Drive Report
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Central Oregon/Aufderheide Highway Drive Report within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I'm pretty content with my nearly-stock WRX, so I don't have much to contribute in terms of discussing ECU flashes, ...

Nat

Central Oregon/Aufderheide Highway Drive Report

I'm pretty content with my nearly-stock WRX, so I don't have much to contribute in terms of discussing ECU flashes, bigger turbos, downpipes, and such. 1/4 mile timed runs, launches, rolling starts, and track days aren't really on my agenda either, so how do I share my enthusiasm for this car? How about by showing what I like to do with it.

Today I drove a big loop of central Oregon starting and finishing in Bend. It was around 300 miles, 7 hours, mid 70 degree range, sunny skies. Gorgeous.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...67676&z=9&om=1

I started by heading up the Cascade Lakes Highway., which takes one past numerous cool, clear lakes. The mountain range is formed by old volcanoes, and some are still active.

Pic 0077 is Mt. Bachelor, where I like to snowboard in the winter. This new car should do a great job getting me up there when it's snowy.

Pic 0079 shows part of a huge field of lava rock. Good thing the lava flow stopped right before it crossed the highway! [wink]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0076.JPG   IMG_0077.JPG   IMG_0078.JPG   IMG_0079.JPG  
    Last edited by Nat; 07-24-2007 at 08:01 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nat
    This is a huge waterfall I saw along the way, named Salt Creek Falls (IIRC).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0080.JPG   IMG_0081.JPG  

Nat
    From the town of Westfir you head north on a small, winding, curvalicious highway that punches its way through huge old growth forest for around 60 miles. It's named the Aufderheide Highway and is a "recreational highway." How cool is that? A recreational highway! Some of the canopy is so thick that it felt like driving through a tree tunnel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0082.JPG   IMG_0083.JPG   IMG_0084.JPG   IMG_0085.JPG   IMG_0087.JPG  

IMG_0088.JPG   IMG_0089.JPG   IMG_0090.JPG   IMG_0091.JPG   IMG_0092.JPG  

Last edited by Nat; 07-24-2007 at 08:35 PM.

Great pics!!! I just got back from Portland about an hour ago. I love your state! So much beauty and it's so GREEN!

The 75 degree temp was a nice alternative to the 105 we have in Utah!
    Stage II and loving it!

Nat
    I followed the McKenzie River over Santiam Pass. The pointy mountain is Mt. Washington. Also is a panorama of the central Cascade Range (we drove around that range today) as I rolled back into Bend.

Thanks for looking.

p.s., If there is a way to post pics so they open automatically rather than making you click on them, please teach me how.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0093.JPG   IMG_0094.JPG   IMG_0095.JPG   IMG_0096.JPG   IMG_0097.JPG  

IMG_0098.JPG  
    Last edited by Nat; 07-24-2007 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I followed the McKenzie River over Santiam Pass. The pointy mountain is Mt. Washinton. Also is a panorama of the central Cascade Range (we drove around that range today) as I rolled back into Bend.

Thanks for looking.

p.s., If there is a way to post pics so they open automatically rather than making you click on them, please teach me how.
    I hate Florida

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...dfasdfasdf.jpg

Aufderheide > * , I never had time to fully complete it, good 8~hrs to get there and back but from what little I did it was truely amazing, never thought roads existed like this around these parts. I'm going to plan a weekend to head down there and do the whole thing, another good run is FS 25 in WA it starts in Randle, WA off hwy 12 and goes straight down to hwy 14 through ST Helens etc, NON STOP TWISTIES FTW!!

Nat
    Thanks guys. What was also really nice was that on the Aufderheide I could run with the windows wide open the whole way. The temperature was so mild and I could smell different foliage along the way, with fern smell for a couple of miles, then cedar smell followed by pine. Little leaves were dropping every once in awhile from the canopy and small waterfalls were along the shoulder of the road...it was right out of a car commercial.

I Support ClubWRX
    Wonderful, Nat! That's exactly what this forum was created for. Your presentation with the map and photos is fantastic!

Thanks for participating.
    Steve

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

Nat
    Quote Originally Posted by smorris View Post
    Wonderful, Nat! That's exactly what this forum was created for. Your presentation with the map and photos is fantastic!

Thanks for participating.
    Steve
    Cool, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I also participate on a mountain biking messageboard and there we do "ride reports" all the time. It's similar in format; lots of pics and descriptions, but I didn't see too much of that here. I think it's a great way to give everyone the stoke, don't you think?

Since I drive many fun roads to get to lots of great biking spots, I was thinking of doing a combined drive/ride report next time with links to the other boards. A little spirited driving, a little spirited biking...that's my idea of a great day.

Nat

Im from Eugene, and I am familiar with all those roads in the pictures,I also go boarding at Bachlor, although I havent gotten to drive them yet in my WRX since I just got it couple weeks ago, but looking forward to it. Any road that either goes over the Sanitam pass or the Will pass is great all time of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB007 View Post
    For the first time this week the crappy neon thats been stalking me didn't find me and rev at me.

nat, sweet pictures. makes me want to move to bend even more than i did. boarding and mountain biking is probably killer out there. im jealous. i love those six spoke stockers.

went down there about 3 weeks ago, road is still a mess... trees all over the road and once you get about 20~ miles in its completely snow covered still

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I followed the McKenzie River over Santiam Pass. The pointy mountain is Mt. Washington. Also is a panorama of the central Cascade Range (we drove around that range today) as I rolled back into Bend.

Thanks for looking.

Cool thread nat. If you're still around...

put your url between these image tags [img][/img] and your pics will post automatically. I sold the C-4 and am getting an 04 wrx wagon tomorrow. I pretty stoked and am planning that run this summer.

ha, was gonna post a pic of said vette but, I have to have three posts... Fuggin newbs anyhow.

Wow.. living in LA all your life makes you forget places like that still existed.
    black 08 wrx sedan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.