KS: got some mild 'off roading' in today...whoohooo

This is a discussion on KS: got some mild 'off roading' in today...whoohooo within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; more like off the beaten path... was messing with my boss at work with his map software friday and saw ...

Registered User platinum scooby's Avatar

got some mild 'off roading' in today...whoohooo

more like off the beaten path...

was messing with my boss at work with his map software friday and saw a spot on the map that dead ends next to the kaw (kansas) river. looked like a road to nowhere and i wanted a piece of it.

so today i went for it. it had just got done snowing 3 to 6 inches this past week, but all the main roads had been cleared.

some of the hills and curves on the way there were fun, some at high speed, some at around 30 to 40.

i dropped into a valley, crossed some tracks, took a couple more hitches over to the road by the river (none of them are marked except on a mapping program and the names weren't printed out for me). on the back two roads it was snow pack with some drifting, and previous tire tracks where it looks like the good old boys had been. took it gently up the road at 20 or so to scout it out till i got to the end of the line (or so i thought. i later looked at the map on the way back and what appeared to be a driveway was actually a continuation of the road that puts you right up on the river's edge, damnit, next time).

turned around came back and ran the snow packed road at 40, snow flying behind me. must have looked pretty odd to a guy who was parked on the side of the road, walking what appeared to be two labs. he pulled his dogs in under him and crouched down as i was coming down the road. lots of gentle curves, but pretty much flat. man, i felt like i was on the rally circuit. anyway, i didn't think i was that scary. i know the rally guys would have taken it at 100 mph +, but i wasn't familiar with it yet, so once i get used to it i'll have to wait for a snow again and go at it. what a blast. it really wasn't much, maybe 5 to 10 minutes, but a good drive getting there and finding old back roads that haven't been plowed over by now is pretty hard to do. need some more like that one. this road would be nothing without the snow, but the snow added that special appeal and made it fun.
    2003 platinum silver wrx
    the only good suv is a dead suv.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds so intruiging. But...where is it? In the spirit of the guidlines of this forum, you can't keep these details from us. We'll be driving all over Kansas looking for your 'Fun Drive!'

I would assume KS, but let me know for sure and I'll edit the topic. Then let us know whre your road is. Enquiring minds want to know!

Thanks,
    Steve
    Last edited by smorris; 01-21-2003 at 08:46 PM.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...
    Bugeye Mafia #338

Registered User platinum scooby's Avatar
    thanks, steve, but actually, it's not much of a road. it's only about a 5 minute drive, if that, so i'm not sure it's that exciting, but it was fun getting there.

if you want to see it on a map, it won't show up properly, as the road i took doesn't fully show up on mapquest.

it is an actual town, though i don't know how. lol. probably one house in it.

the funnest drive in kansas in the kc area we've found so far is highway 5 between wolcott rd off of i-435, and leavenworth, ks. lots of hills and twisties.

for inquiring minds the drive i took saturday is to frisbee, ks. if you plot that on mapquest, it'll show you how close the river is. it doesn't show you the road to the north which approaches frisbee, though that was on my boss's mapping software, and that's the road i took. the road shown to get to it on mapquest i didn't take and is probably a lot less fun. either way, the road is nothing without the snow. it's almost the size of someone's driveway.
    2003 platinum silver wrx
    the only good suv is a dead suv.