UT: the salt flats
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on UT: the salt flats within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; I don't know if anybody has done it before, but how bada**would a run through...or over...the salt flats be? It's ...

UT: the salt flats

I don't know if anybody has done it before, but how bada**would a run through...or over...the salt flats be?

It's about a two hour drive from salt lake. Pure open salt bed goodness.

And the salt is...I don't know the word for it. Its not loose like beach sand. it's ...sticky?
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGeeWhiz View Post
    One more of these pointless threads and im going to bash my face into the computer screen.
    There's no replacement for displacement. Except for a fat ass turbo!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DSMKilla View Post
    I don't know if anybody has done it before, but how bada**would a run through...or over...the salt flats be?

It's about a two hour drive from salt lake. Pure open salt bed goodness.

And the salt is...I don't know the word for it. Its not loose like beach sand. it's ...sticky?
    I've always wanted to go out there and watch the land speed record trials.. I should get up there. I don't live that far.. It would be a lot of fun to thrash out there
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

i used to live in SLC and have driven by the flats many times. i too have wondered how fun it would be, it seems like an endless expanse in which you could just do whatever you want.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,"If I live, I will kill you. If i die, you are forgiven. " such is the rule of Honor.

I'm thinking sometime this summer, I'm gonna have to make a run down there.

oh...how fun the detailing will be afterwards!!
    One more of these pointless threads and im going to bash my face into the computer screen.

I Support ClubWRX
    I drove on the salt several years back. There's the long road that goes out to the race area. I drove out there late at night once when I was passing through, to see where the races were held. Just as we got near the end, a couple sets of headlights came on. Seems we got there the night before the Speed Week started. So we slept in the truck at the nearby gas station and came back the next morning.

After watching the cars run for a while, it was time to hit the road again, so we took off back up the long straight road out of the middle of the salt flats. About halfway back, the edge of the road was just a rolling hill down to the flats, so off I drove! Blasted across the salt, slide to a stop, turn around and come back the other direction, for about three miles. I hit 97 MPH indicated, and claimed the self-proclaimed Ford Ranger Land Speed Record! . Got back on the road, then the highway, and back to Ohio.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...

So, are the salt flats open to anyone who is willing to drive there?

Yup. Depending on the time of the year, they might be holding contests or things, so there might be certain areas blocked off, but it's public-owned land. You can go there whenever you heart desires.

Sweeeeet.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by smorris View Post
    I drove on the salt several years back. There's the long road that goes out to the race area. I drove out there late at night once when I was passing through, to see where the races were held. Just as we got near the end, a couple sets of headlights came on. Seems we got there the night before the Speed Week started. So we slept in the truck at the nearby gas station and came back the next morning.

After watching the cars run for a while, it was time to hit the road again, so we took off back up the long straight road out of the middle of the salt flats. About halfway back, the edge of the road was just a rolling hill down to the flats, so off I drove! Blasted across the salt, slide to a stop, turn around and come back the other direction, for about three miles. I hit 97 MPH indicated, and claimed the self-proclaimed Ford Ranger Land Speed Record! . Got back on the road, then the highway, and back to Ohio.

Awesome!!
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

I Support ClubWRX
    That was in 1993. I wonder if I still hold the record.

Below are two shots from Google maps. The exit is the first one in Utah from Nevada (state line is just off scree left.) We drove out that long east-west road out into to the flats. Then stayed back at the interchange in a gas station lot.

Take a look out on the flats in the upper right. See those little dots? The next shot is zoomed in. Seems the satellite was passing over during a big event. That's exactly what we did. Drive out and park with the cars (after paying a nominal "membership" and signing a waiver) to watch the speed runs. That was a fun trip!

(Which was part of a non-stop drive from Ohio to Mt Rainier in WA, then two weeks backpacking, then a roundabout trip back, 2/3 of which was without a muffler, as I had the dead one in the truck to take back to Tuffy for a freebie. No Tuffy's where I went.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bv1.jpg   bv.jpg  

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...

I could be wrong here.....but I've heard that salt is pretty hard on youre tyres........ is that true?.....if so.... I'm not goin any where near it. The last thing I need is to wear my tyres faster than I already am. I've already reached the top speed in my car..... top speed runs just dont do it for me. The wide open expanse, however, would be cool for some cone rallies
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE #79
    DIRTY CREW #79

Not too sure on your tires. Its not good for the rest of your car, that's for sure haha. Eats at paint, underbody, etc. Nothing a good bath can't fix.

It might be interesting to get the utah guys together and set up an autox coarse out there..... a bunch of cones and WRX's.....makes for a good time
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE #79
    DIRTY CREW #79

NJO
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyhill79 View Post
    It might be interesting to get the utah guys together and set up an autox coarse out there..... a bunch of cones and WRX's.....makes for a good time
    id be in, and im sure there plenty others that would join. we should get that going!
    EX BUGEYE MAFIA #193
    1996 Legacy Outback
    Ej20 swap/ with ALL supporting parts
    intake/turbo inlet/vf39/big tmic/headers/uppipe/downpipe/straight pipe/walbro fp/modded stock injectors/ and too much more

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.