NC (west): Hwy 276 near Brevard
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on NC (west): Hwy 276 near Brevard within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Just a quick recommendation: Try Hwy 276 between Brevard NC and the Blue Ridge Parkway! Leaving Brevard and heading into ...

NC (west): Hwy 276 near Brevard

Just a quick recommendation: Try Hwy 276 between Brevard NC and the Blue Ridge Parkway!

Leaving Brevard and heading into Pisgah National Forest, the road begins as a bunch of straights connected by gentle sweepers, but as it begins to head up the mountains, the road gets more and more aggressive, with nice banked switchbacks and s-curves connected by occasional straights. There's usually pretty good views of the roads ahead for safety- pretty important since there tends to be RVs on the road here and there. Drive it uphill, pull onto the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway to allow your brakes to cool, then you can turn around and head back down to Brevard.

Warning: be mindful of your brakes on the downhills. I've actually managed to boil my brake fluid on this road before!

Have fun!
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

While you're in the area, if you're in the mood for some gravel AWD driving...

On 276, 3.8 miles from Brevard there is a turnoff onto USFS Road #475, heading towards the fish hatchery. After 1.3 more miles of pavement, you'll come to the hatchery, at which time USFS 475 turns to a nice, wide, fairly well maintained gravel road. Lots of fun sweepers and straights with a few mild switchbacks thrown in. Be careful, many of the turns are blind, and there are RVs and the like on this road sometimes. Save for that, this is a pretty fun road to play rally driver. Enjoy!
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

Yeppers! That road is a riot. I live in WNC, and if yer ever in the mood, I can show you roads locally that'll curl yer hair. I found a great one tonight(hard 180 switchbacks, the kind you can light up all four on the exit). Total mistake, was looking for a road and stumbled into a nice find.

If you have the chance, try the 151 exit of the parkway. It goes down into the Pisgah View valley area, amazing road. Nicley cambered turns, some esses that'll bottom out the suspension, and make butterflies in the tummy.

The road that goes by the hatchey is one of my all time favs. I used to go up there on Christmas Eve, around 1 am...and go nuts. Until one time I hit a patch of ice(where a stream crosses the road sometimes) and swapped ends a few times. Since that hair-raiser I quit that kinda nonsense. If you are commin from Brevard, and just go under the parkway bridge, you'll drop into the Crusoe valley(where my mom is buried), and that road is a monster too. Some incredibly fast sweepers near the bottom, and nice technical turns near the top.

I used to fish that side when I was but a wee one. I can remember drinking right outta the river, never caught much, but that is one gorgeous river down the bank. Most of my family is from that general area.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

Excellent recommendations all. If you're ever east of asheville, there's a nice tight little hillclimb off the parkway up by Old Fort. I think it's rt. 80. Towards the top it's quite similar to the dragon, only it's all uphill (or downhill).

-P

ive got a rod for yall head out towards lak toxaway towards camp winding gap dowm past brevard get on slick fisher rd and head all the way down that road until you get to a gravel road head left and enjoy it will bring you out in silva and it is an awesome ride

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.