Best tires for off road and best tires for snow?

This is a discussion on Best tires for off road and best tires for snow? within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Looking for some advice. Gonna take my 2013 wrx hatchback out on some dirt roads. will the summer performance tires ...

Best tires for off road and best tires for snow?

Looking for some advice. Gonna take my 2013 wrx hatchback out on some dirt roads. will the summer performance tires do well on some dirt roads? What tires do you guys recommend for dirt roads and are the blizzaks the best snow tire out there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you stay on the hard-packed tracks it feels much the same as driving on black top. if you're on looser gravel its going to feel rather floaty, mainly when your doing 65+ mph. At least this is my experience with the stock summer performances on my '13.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by stu25 View Post
    Looking for some advice. Gonna take my 2013 wrx hatchback out on some dirt roads. will the summer performance tires do well on some dirt roads? What tires do you guys recommend for dirt roads and are the blizzaks the best snow tire out there?
    Yeah you should be fine as long as you are not rallying...If you are then the summers won't perform as well as a more aggressively treaded tire.

Best winter tires are a debateable topic. I like the blizzaks (and have them), and I am going on my fourth winter with them...After which i will probably replace. I am thinking about going Nokian for my next set.

I know a lot of people who will do gravel/dirt driving WITH winter tires...the squishier compound, bit thicker of tread, and the siping makes it easier to grip in off-road conditions, similar to off-road tires.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13
    I know a lot of people who will do gravel/dirt driving WITH winter tires...the squishier compound, bit thicker of tread, and the siping makes it easier to grip in off-road conditions, similar to off-road tires.
    I used to switch to my winters whenever I wanted to do a lot of gravel driving. With studded tires now, that's not an option.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Check out dirtyimpreza forum, those guys are all about dirt! Like ej and mikie said tho, snow tires make pretty good dirt tires if you're not looking to compete or anything.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Im planning on taking my car up to Big Bear, CA and driving some of the fire access roads up there. The dirt is pretty compact during summer. Thanks for the help guys.