Questions about Maui and the Road to Hana
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Questions about Maui and the Road to Hana within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; We are planning a trip to Maui next summer and if you've ever been there I need your help. The ...

We are planning a trip to Maui next summer and if you've ever been there I need your help.
    The plan is to stay the first 4 nights Lahaina, and the last 3 nights in Hana.

I've been told I need to drive Hana hwy due to it's extreme awesomeness.
    I've also been told I should never drive the Hana hwy due to extreme car sickness.
    Map Hana Hwy

I've also been told only the locals are allowed to take Piilani hwy south of Hana.
    Map of Piilani hwy

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Lahaina is awesome you'll enjoy it. The road to Hana is known for getting motion sickness and due to the fact it is a very long drive to what seems to be a short distance. Make sure you rent a jeep or something that will be comfortable for very rough roads. I was there feb of this year and the weather was awesome. Plan to take a whole day for the road to Hana.
    2012 Wrx SWP Hatch-Traded
    2013 Limited ISM Hatch -Current

the hana trail is fun. there are alot of places to stop and take pictures and explore. the 1st half is mostly sightseeing and is a must do. the different beaches and waterfalls are amazing. the 2nd half is more of an off road excursion back to your hotel. get the cd that is like a tour guide and bring alot of storage for photos and most of all, have fun.

Jealousy is at an all time high right now.
    Protect your ears! Follow NIOSH Guidelines to protect your hearing.

I was last in Maui in December 2001/January 2002 and did the Highway to Hana in a Jeep.

Even back then, the rental company DID NOT want you taking their vehicle around the back side of the island. The main reason is if you break down, they have almost no way to recover the vehicle. 11 years ago, those roads weren't so great and there were some parts on the mountain where there was barely enough road for ONE vehicle to pass.

Just went to Maui for my Honeymoon this past September... GORGEOUS!!

We rented a little econ car (mazda 2) for the week (you will need it) and we stayed just north of Lahaina on the kanapali coast line. The road to Hana is awesome.. just make sure you LEAVE Early for it to beat most of the tourists... like 6-7am early.
    Plan the entire day to do the road to hana. We found that the small car came in handy as there are a lot of stops along the side of the road that a little car does great on... remember this road is about as wide as your couch...

We made the mistake of doing the laua the same day as hana... we barely made it back in time for the laua and we left at 8am.

I highly recommend getting the book "Maui Revealed"... it is BY FAR the best book on Maui and tells you exactly where to go on Hana to whatever you are interested in (seeing waterfalls or hiking) or just enjoying the drive... here are some pics

"Practice Aloha!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	111311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	111312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0099.jpg 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	111313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	111314Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0156.jpg 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	111315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0295.jpg 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	111316

There are few teaser pics
    Last edited by mgmoehn; 01-23-2013 at 07:56 PM.
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires
    Some cool tidbits to come...

o - and you will get really muddy if you hike hana...

I would also recommend going zip lining at Flyin Hawaiian

We actually had a bunch of stuff planned... but instead we did like 3 things and just got some sun and relaxed... Maui is the best for relaxing and great food
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoehn View Post
    Just went to Maui for my Honeymoon this past September... GORGEOUS!!

We rented a little econ car (mazda 2) for the week (you will need it) and we stayed just north of Lahaina on the kanapali coast line. The road to Hana is awesome.. just make sure you LEAVE Early for it to beat most of the tourists... like 6-7am early.
    Plan the entire day to do the road to hana. We found that the small car came in handy as there are a lot of stops along the side of the road that a little car does great on... remember this road is about as wide as your couch...

We made the mistake of doing the laua the same day as hana... we barely made it back in time for the laua and we left at 8am.

I highly recommend getting the book "Maui Revealed"... it is BY FAR the best book on Maui and tells you exactly where to go on Hana to whatever you are interested in (seeing waterfalls or hiking) or just enjoying the drive... here are some pics

"Practice Aloha!"
    Nice! I'll be there next November for my honeymoon, I think we're staying right around where you were.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Nice you will love it... And will easily be recognized as honeymooners... Not a lot of young peoe thT are not naiv there!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

We didn't do the road to Hana, but if you're planning on doing 340 on the north-west side of the island, make sure you take 100+cc scooter and not a car...

Some of the views are absolutely incredible:

Name:	409227_807130976413_119229899_n.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	111338

Name:	65461_807127129123_195359101_n.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	111339
    Last edited by zax; 01-24-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.