OR: Route 53
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on OR: Route 53 within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Hello, there. I'm new to the forum, with a new WRX (base 5-door) in the garage. Took the car out ...

OR: Route 53

Hello, there. I'm new to the forum, with a new WRX (base 5-door) in the garage.

Took the car out for some exercise on Saturday and rediscovered Oregon Route 53 from Nehalem headed NE to an intersection with US26. I did not write down the mileage, but would estimate it at 12-18. This stretch is easy to reach from the Portland area. I recommend an early afternoon run headed NE from Nehalem so that the road has had time to dry out, assuming the weather cooperates. On a Saturday afternoon there was very little traffic, although I did see a few motorcycles headed SW, at a high rate of knots.

The road is in very good condition, looks like much of it was just repaved, almost all of it is posted 55 or un-posted. Corners are nicely cambered, the road is well marked, and I think I recall one sharp bump, the rest of it was quite smooth. Very twisty and undulating (at speed) in sections, an exhilarating drive, mostly in 3rd and 4th gears. Pushing along I was able to exercise the suspension and brakes pretty well for a new car.

I would like to hear about other similar road sections from other forum members, particularly in the NW corner of the state, and anything that traverses the Coast Range.

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! I'm in Newberg, but went to OSU.

Well, if you want a good coast range run, HW 20 to HW 180 (ends up in Siletz) is a good run. There are also several forest service access points along that stretch that open into a rally wonderland. Some of my favorite driving roads up there.

The Mary's Peak hillclimb is also great, particularly in snow. Take HW 34 out of Philomath and turn off at Mary's Peak Rd. It's a very twisty run, with a 3100' climb in 10 miles. Lots of great hiking at the top too, but pack a jacket.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=C...ra=ls&t=m&z=12

HW 101 at the southern tip of Oregon is pretty amazing too. That's the heart of the Oregon rain forest, so it's like driving through Jurassic Park.
    Drive a bit farther south into California, and you're in the redwood forests, which are pretty fun as well.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    ...Well, if you want a good coast range run, HW 20 to HW 180 (ends up in Siletz) is a good run. There are also several forest service access points along that stretch that open into a rally wonderland. Some of my favorite driving roads up there.

The Mary's Peak hillclimb is also great, particularly in snow. Take HW 34 out of Philomath and turn off at Mary's Peak Rd. It's a very twisty run, with a 3100' climb in 10 miles. Lots of great hiking at the top too, but pack a jacket....
    Thanks, I will try HW 20 to HW 180 in a couple of weeks, and will take a look at Mary's Peak as well. Is the latter paved?

Living in Newberg, you have access to what I call the "Newbergring", a route (I won't call it a "circuit") I devised some years ago using the paved public roads around Bald Peak. Even operating within posted limits it's a fun little drive. I can't find the map, but if you're familiar with the area at all you can imagine the possibilities: lots of elevation change, decent pavement, not much traffic, good cambered corners and good visibility.

Chris

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cohland View Post
    Living in Newberg, you have access to what I call the "Newbergring",
    Yep, both routes I posted are paved the whole way, although there are plenty of unpaved forest service roads out of Siletz.

I know full well the potential of Newberg's driving roads.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.