Any good drives in Az?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Any good drives in Az? within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Since I just recently purchased my WRX I'm in search of a good driving area/road/desert road with minimal debris. I ...

Any good drives in Az?

Since I just recently purchased my WRX I'm in search of a good driving area/road/desert road with minimal debris. I would much rather drive off road than on road since I'm more interested in Rally type driving. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, I live in Gilbert and don't mind too much of a drive but I'd rather not drive hours away.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

does yours happen to be a red premium sedan? And there are quite a few dirt roads out in maricopa that are usually pretty abandoned.

Its a red sedan but not a premium model. Thanks for the help, I'll have to drive out there one of these days!

There are many good roads and dirt roads to go play on. Dirt is bad though. Anyways..... Prescott to the Grand Canyon is nice. Out to Globe is another good drive.
    2006 wrX

Why us dirt bad? With the right suspension/tires/wheels shouldn't the car be able to handle it? I'm not necessarily worked about too much cosmetic damage since I'm gonna get new paint and all the little dings removed in six months or so

AZ dirt has Valley fever, Also there are lots of hidden rocks. Rocks that will bust up your ride quick.

A good road is 17 to bloddy basin rd. head west on that and its a good dirt road.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5438641_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5430004_n.jpg

I used to put on the ghost town runs.
    2006 wrX

Quote Originally Posted by asu0610 View Post
    does yours happen to be a red premium sedan? And there are quite a few dirt roads out in maricopa that are usually pretty abandoned.
    Thats Indian land. Do not get caught!!!
    2006 wrX

It's more of a Utah/Nevada drive, but technically is in northwest Arizona. If you live anywhere near that little stretch of I15 that clips the corner of Arizona, that drive is not only amazing looking because of the red rock, but has wonderful banked turns that are mostly posted at 60mph.
    2010 Subaru WRX

I don't do dirt. But a few of us go out to canyon late after our Thursday meet in Gilbert.

Sent from Mattman's G2X

Quote Originally Posted by IvIattIvIan View Post
    I don't do dirt. But a few of us go out to canyon late after our Thursday meet in Gilbert.

Sent from Mattman's G2X

Do you guys meet at subaru superstore in gilbert? I passed by there once and saw a lot of sti and wrx's

And I would recommend doing a south mountain run I did okay as a noob lol and I heard canyon is pretty intense no side rails going up or anything

Any suggestions on good paved drives? Done the Apache Trail a few times. Great drive during the week, but I'm on the west side of town and if I'm going to go that far for a drive, I'd like some variety.

Thanks!

I just moved from AZ and my favorite ride was taking 87 Country Club towards New Mexico. Its got no traffic in the early morning, I drove it maybe 15 times and never saw a cop. Its a ton of fun. I had an altima then, now that I have my wrx i live in NY You can get up pretty fast and the view is outstanding. Be safe

i go to az once a year wish i had my car. you have to hit up jerome the mining town on a cliff. roads are sweet. go over the mountain it turns from desert to forest. im not sure exactly were its located but there is a lake west of happy valley we go to. long windy steep roads. beware of cops they like to run radar.

im also in az looking for some meets i herd about people meeting by the Subaru superstore. im in queen creek on hunt hwy. also is anyone looking to swap trunks or know anyone i have 2013 wrb wingless and looking for sti wing.

Sedona area is where you are talking about. I was up there a few weekends ago and its phenomenal driving. Head up on 89 North or something like that and there are some gnarly 5mph switchbacks that are a blast. It's all redrock desert and turns into pine forest once you get higher elevation. Super sweet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast