Road Trip; Chicago to Key Largo...what should I expect
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Road Trip; Chicago to Key Largo...what should I expect within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; Well, as far as the WRX goes. What should I be aware of or expect from the car. It's ~1500 ...

Road Trip; Chicago to Key Largo...what should I expect

Well, as far as the WRX goes. What should I be aware of or expect from the car. It's ~1500 mile trip. I will be doing an oil change before I leave, and then one when I get back. We are possibly going to drive straight through, I know that the car can handle it, but should we stop to let it cool down? This is my first turbo car so I'm not sure how the do on long trips. It's looking like a ~21 hour drive.

On a side note, any good picture spots I should know off, will be going through Indiana/Kentucky/Tennessee/Georgia/ All of Florida.

If anyone else has road tripped in their rex I'd love to hear about it

Thanks,
    Nappy

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I did a 1600 mile trip straight through without stopping except for gas. The car is comfortable, but just being in it that long started to bother me.

As for letting it cool down, I didn't, and you shouldn't have to. It's not like you're going to be pushing it to the max the whole time.

If you're low on gas by the time you hit Miami, gas up there. There is only one road into the keys, and there is no gas station until you hit key largo. Also, if you're there on the weekend, it will be packed and slow. All the weekend warriors head down there and cause a nice backup.

Thanks for the heads up about the traffic. We are leaving Saturday ~3am Chicago time, this way I can get through the "mountains" per say of Tennessee during the day. I'm hoping to do it in the 21 hour range it will be me my fiance, my brother and his gf, so my brother and I can switch driving if need be. So we should get into Key Largo ~midnight - early Sunday morning. Glad to hear that the car can take it going that long. Any good picture spots you know of :P and how fast can I go on the FL Turnpike? Lots of cops? I'm just looking to cut down time. Gotta get me more tattoos.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you experience problems that are not random or chance events but due to the design or nature of the car then the car is a failure. Post back to warn others, sell it, and never buy another Subaru. In the 21st century reliability should be a given with correct care.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Apparently someone's not regulating the numbers on the Blobeye Syndicate LMAO!!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.