CO:Squaw Pass

This is a discussion on CO:Squaw Pass within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; this is directions from my house approximately. well anyway its in Colorado Head West on 285, then take a right ...

CO:Squaw Pass

this is directions from my house approximately. well anyway its in Colorado Head West on 285, then take a right and head North on 470. The first actual street you can exit on called Morrison Rd. turn left and head west up trough Morrison Colorado, and up this curvy road into the mountain. Once your in Evergreen turn right on Evergreen Parkway, and take it until Squaw Pass RD. Turn left here and let the adventure begin ;] For first little while it will be pretty straight, but then it gets really curvy with plenty hairpin turns. It doesn't have guard rails however so try staying in your lain and watch your speed haha. Once you get to Echo Lake / Mt. Evans RD. turn around and have a fun drive/coast down because if you keep going you will end up in Idaho Springs.

:] i love this pass its fun coasting down the mountain because you average 80 or so MPH without any acceleration needed. Also there are hardly any cars that go trough here and in my 20-30 trips up there i have never seen a cop :]

This is a google maps' satellite view of the road:
    http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9681/lalabi.png
    Last edited by ShinceN; 08-08-2010 at 05:59 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you continue down to Idaho Springs its an awesome drive with great views. Once in to Idaho Springs there will be an I-70 on ramp take it to the 6th to golden exit and take the twisty canyon road down to 6th east where you can get back onto 470 and make one big loop.

I also love to drive squaw and do so frequently since I live right near it. There is a back way from my house the includes a bunch of dirt switchbacks and puts you out about 10 minutes up the pass.

While there aren't many cars there are many bicycles on weekends so watch out for them. The reason you dont see many cops is because the road is broken into 3 different departments jurisdiction. the first 7 or 8 miles is Jefferson County Road then the middle section is Colorado State Highway then the last 6 or 7 miles are Clear Creek County Road. During the winter You can actually see the lines where county roads meet state highway where the plows stop plowing.
    Last edited by SKI.WRX; 08-08-2010 at 06:14 PM.

haha thats awesome :] ill have to go all the way ;] i have gone as far as idaho springs and refilled before heading back, but never gone the huge loop :] oh i cant really go onto rough dirt roads around Squaw because i have S. Tech lowering springs and its 2 low XD

I went up to echo mountain yesterday and live driving that pass. It would be a lot more fun in the summer time when there's no snow! I love taking those corners with a little speed, but like you said, with no guard rails you have to be kind of careful.

I like it better with snow haha. no bicyclists to look out for and its nicer to my snow tires

I Support ClubWRX
    I love driving Squaw. We did it last year at the Tommyknocker's meet.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Yeah it's nice not having to look out for bicyclists but I don't wanna chance going over with no guard rails. The first few miles are great right now though.

I live right up near there and have done that drive lots of times. My ex now lives up almost at the top of the mountain, so I make the drive pretty regularly to pick up or drop off my kids.

One thing to be careful of:
    Morrison Rd is heavily patrolled by Morrison police. Stick to the speed limits through the town and for the next few miles after you exit the town. The only reason there's a local police force in the tiny town is because of Red Rocks, so whenever there aren't any shows, they do speed traps constantly!

There's a lot more cool drives up this way, like the one to my house. I'm not sharing any secrets though...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading