Co: Hwy 550

This is a discussion on Co: Hwy 550 within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; From Montrose to Durango, best section is between Ouray and about 15mi out of Durango. Red Mountain pass was my ...

Co: Hwy 550

From Montrose to Durango, best section is between Ouray and about 15mi out of Durango. Red Mountain pass was my favorite but there are atleast 3 passes to choose from. Best road i have been on, lots of switch backs, elevation change, high/low speed corners not to mention the views and huge drops off the side... don't screw up. I imagine in the summer traffic could be an issue with the scenery/tourists but not right now. Give it a shot if ur down in the area you'll be happy you re-routed the road trip.
    Who wants to have some FUN!
    ---Stink-Eye Mob #26---

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Both my parents are from Silverton so we go down there quite a bit. I used to be terrified of Red Mountain as a little kid but when I got my learners permit Red Mountain was the first road I ever drove. Also the first road I ever drove while towing a trailer. Now that I know it like the back of my hand it is by far my favorite road to drive.