The Dragon:check this out b4 u go
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on The Dragon:check this out b4 u go within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; hope im not pushing anything political or nws here if i am please feel free to delete this.... i think ...

The Dragon:check this out b4 u go

hope im not pushing anything political or nws here if i am please feel free to delete this.... i think people who go there should know about the cops up there

http://tailofthedragon.com/
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Yes,

I love the cop bashing

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    Yes,

I love the cop bashing
    it wasnt meant to be that way it was meant for people to beware that you can get pulled over for just about anything there so be careful
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

Go figure! Cops are almost the same here in Denver lately...

I Support ClubWRX
    So, if I'm "Cliff-noting" this correctly, it looks like Tennessee has allocated funds and stepped up their patrolling of that area. Are they doing so in response to a higher number of accidents, or other problems?

I don't know a lot of the details; perhaps there is some genuine harassment going on....but it would be interesting to know both sides of the story.

As to the story at the top, about the "respected citizen" being pulled, she was speeding, and he pulled her. I love how the article tries to excuse her of all charges by mentioning that she's a doctor that's been in the area for a long time. What does that have to do with anything? There are lots of very nice people out there that drive like complete maniacs.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

This program going on up there now is only until the end of SEPT. They are only patrolling from about 10am til 5pm.

it has always been smart to go really early (I typically go around 7am) or later in the afternoon/early evening. not because of the police, but because between 10am-5pm on weekends, that is the heaviest traffic and you get caught up a lot in slower traffic in those times. When I go really early in the morning, i can get several clean quick runs in with little or no other traffic.

i have heard of some cases of crap going on with the police up there. they had several complaints in the first couple weeks of this program but have backed off of the attitudes for the most part. people forget that the dragon speed limit is 30mph. especially on a bike, it is easy to hit 90 + mph in a couple areas. heck, even in my old WRX i could get to 70 in places (*disclaimer - not that I ever did - i just said I could).

usually there are one or two guys that you would see randomly during the day. ...mostly just to see if there are any wrecks and to make sure they dont see anyone driving like a moron. this program is a little further than it needs to be i think. they keep talking about the 3 people that died up there this year close together and say the dragon is full of hellraisers, but the people that died were all over 65 - two of them on a trike that went into the wrong lane.

i think some of the ticketing is dumb that they are doing but hopefully the program ends as planned and it just goes away and people can enjoy the road again.

i am going to head up there this weekend or next, but going to take the wife's wrangler - that will help me keep to the speed limit. there isnt anyone on her car they can ticket me for. my new impreza's tint is just barely too dark, but i just dont want to give them any excuses for a ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Hmmm... this has me a little worried now. I have a trip planned up there for the end of this month (I'll be there Sept. 24 - 26th). It's been in the works for months, plus it'll be quite a haul for me just to get there in the first place, and I'd hate to have my vacation ruined by a couple of overzealous law enforcement officers.

I'll take Grayson's advice and try to do earlier mornings/late afternoon runs rather than during the busiest parts of the day. Since I'll be there on a Mon. - Wed., I'm hoping that this combination will decrease the chances of any "incidents".

Not that I'm really planning to speed (I have just as much fun in the Evo at lower speeds), but it's very easy to get going faster than intended, so I'm really going to have to watch myself.

I've heard that there are quite a few nice roads in the area in addition to The Dragon though, so I'm planning on doing some exploring. Hopefully these will be "the road less traveled" both in terms of traffic as well as the police.
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

you will be fine, especially going mid week. there are far less there durning the week. early morning/evening runs are going to be best if you want to do any type of "spirited" runs. take one or two thru to see if/where the police are.

i wouldnt worry about it too much. I am planning on going up there Saturday morning. i will try to report how it goes this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Geese1 View Post
    Hmmm... this has me a little worried now. I have a trip planned up there for the end of this month (I'll be there Sept. 24 - 26th). It's been in the works for months, plus it'll be quite a haul for me just to get there in the first place, and I'd hate to have my vacation ruined by a couple of overzealous law enforcement officers.

I'll take Grayson's advice and try to do earlier mornings/late afternoon runs rather than during the busiest parts of the day. Since I'll be there on a Mon. - Wed., I'm hoping that this combination will decrease the chances of any "incidents".

Not that I'm really planning to speed (I have just as much fun in the Evo at lower speeds), but it's very easy to get going faster than intended, so I'm really going to have to watch myself.

I've heard that there are quite a few nice roads in the area in addition to The Dragon though, so I'm planning on doing some exploring. Hopefully these will be "the road less traveled" both in terms of traffic as well as the police.

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru View Post
    you will be fine, especially going mid week. there are far less there durning the week. early morning/evening runs are going to be best if you want to do any type of "spirited" runs. take one or two thru to see if/where the police are.

i wouldnt worry about it too much. I am planning on going up there Saturday morning. i will try to report how it goes this weekend.
    Thanks for the info!

Are there any other routes I should check out in addition to The Dragon? I'm planning on doing the entire Cherohala Skyway at least once, but other than that what would you recommend?

Thanks again.
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

Thanks for the info!

Are there any other routes I should check out in addition to The Dragon? I'm planning on doing the entire Cherohala Skyway at least once, but other than that what would you recommend?

Thanks again.
    the skyway is nice. you can find more roads in that on www.tailofthedragon.com and www.dealsgap.com. I believe both have info on other roads in the area that are fun to drive and good places to go.

Banned
    I was on the dragon and with 3 cops in the 11 miles, I still had a blast and pushed my car to its limits without tickets.

i was there today from about noon to 4pm.

11 cops, including one on a motorcycle. only saw one person being ticketed, but i am sure there were more with as much traffic as there was.

once i download some pictures to the computer of some random pictures from today, i will post some up in another thread.

Thanks for the update; hopefully they won't be as active during the week as they are on the weekends.

Do they normally patrol other roads in the area with as much "enthusiasm", or have they pretty much strictly limited this to The Dragon?

Thanks for the update; hopefully they won't be as active during the week as they are on the weekends.

Do they normally patrol other roads in the area with as much "enthusiasm", or have they pretty much strictly limited this to The Dragon?
    they usually arent even this heavy at the dragon. they are doing some new program up there until around the end of sept trying to curb some of he 'hell raising' that is said to go on up there (ive been going up there for years and have seen a few bad driver's but nothing i would really consider hell raising).

they are more active Friday, Saturday and Sunday. During the week they said there are 3 or less.

Just take one or two passes slowly so you can find if/where they are hanging out at.

if you end up down by the water on the TN side, remember the speed limit is 40mph. they hide a lot down there under trees and it is really easy to not pay attention to how fast you are going since it is mostly straight and flat.

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru View Post
    they usually arent even this heavy at the dragon. they are doing some new program up there until around the end of sept trying to curb some of he 'hell raising' that is said to go on up there (ive been going up there for years and have seen a few bad driver's but nothing i would really consider hell raising).

they are more active Friday, Saturday and Sunday. During the week they said there are 3 or less.

Just take one or two passes slowly so you can find if/where they are hanging out at.

if you end up down by the water on the TN side, remember the speed limit is 40mph. they hide a lot down there under trees and it is really easy to not pay attention to how fast you are going since it is mostly straight and flat.
    good info thanks
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.