PA: I-80 thru the mountains around Wilkes Barre

This is a discussion on PA: I-80 thru the mountains around Wilkes Barre within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; PA: I-80 thru the mountains around Wilkes Barre is a fun place to drive, because you get some nice views, ...

PA: I-80 thru the mountains around Wilkes Barre

PA: I-80 thru the mountains around Wilkes Barre is a fun place to drive, because you get some nice views, and the road is excellent (most of the time anyway.) It is not such a heavily trafficked road that it's congested, and especially at night, you can wind the car out a bit. I enjoyed tooling along at about 100 to 110 one night when I was up that way, but it is not without it's danger of a ticket. However, Smokey isn't as ever present there as he is down around Baltimore and DC where I usually have to drive in that hell hole traffic.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Been through there four times. Great place.
    "..are wont to seize upon people about the beginning of Autumn; and sometimes also sooner, according to the temper of the foregoing Summer, whether they had been hotter, or cooler: & they some years rage so violently, as that they last the greatest part of the said seasons, miserably afflicting people all that while, and destroying many of them - Exterminated by the Bloody Flux
    Dysentery in Eighteenth-Century Naval and Military Medical Accounts
    "

Banned

Thumbs up

I'm going to have to whole-heartedly agree with you. I live in the Philly area and I went to school in Bloomsburg and I-80 was always a treat. If you are heading east out of Bloom, once you pass the rest area after Berwick, you will have a stretch that is on a steep grade down a mountain for over a mile, will full visibility on a nice smooth concrete roadway. At the bottom of the hill is a banked right turn. There are also no little hiding spots on that stretch. Take this tidbit of information and do with it as you will.

118 from williamsport (roughly) to wilkes. Now that's a fun road, very hilly and rather windy. The only downside is it's 2 way traffic with suicide passing lanes. but ricketts glen is always a nice stop, and is about the 1/2 way mark between the 2.

I enjoy certain sections of I-83 during the early evenings when traffic is light and I know for certain that there are no hiding spots along the way
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Quote Originally Posted by xrayzebra View Post
    PA: I-80 thru the mountains around Wilkes Barre is a fun place to drive, because you get some nice views, and the road is excellent (most of the time anyway.) It is not such a heavily trafficked road that it's congested, and especially at night, you can wind the car out a bit. I enjoyed tooling along at about 100 to 110 one night when I was up that way, but it is not without it's danger of a ticket. However, Smokey isn't as ever present there as he is down around Baltimore and DC where I usually have to drive in that hell hole traffic.
    I AGREE, that was the first drive i did, i ahve friends in poconos, and i drove from my house up to there, i love the delaware water gap...
    D@VID
    2002 F150 s-crew
    07R6/08ZX-10
    STILL Hawk Eye Alliance #31
    "your drive should not be to outdo others,but to outdo yourself"

Banned
    My brother lives in Lehigton so I drive the area a lot. I haven't been out there w/ my WRX yet but had lots of fun driving my SE-R all over route 80 and places more local.

Anyone ever drive Pohopoco Road (Beltzville Tnpk) that runs along the Beltzville Lake? It's two lanes and no-pass for 90% of it but it's long and very winding. I've never seen one cop on the road except at the very ends. The limit's around 40-50 but I usually push 110+ the entire way. It's a blast. Just watch for deer!!!!!!!!!! for the love of God please watch for deer they're suicidal!!!!!

I've still yet to take my suby out there but can't wait.

Unfortunately law enforcement absolutely LOVES me. I've gotten pulled over for doing 71 in a 65 :-( ... I'm so paranoid I barely reach the speed limit in my WRX. It's yellow and w/ the BPM Turboback you can hear it growling from miles away... I gotta get some pics up... oh i've fallen off topic. :-) Yea PA rocks.

I actually just got back from a week up in White Haven...had some fun on 80 going back and forth a couple times
    07 Spec V

Banned
    Pete i love your SE-R(s). Here's a pic of mine...

http://web.njit.edu/~jd52/trucks%20are%20big.jpg

Wow and i thought mine got mangled...
    07 Spec V

Banned
    lol so far no one's seen that picture and wasn't a bit impressed at the carnage.

Sad story... the truck involved drove off. I was knocked out from the impact and woke up at least a minute or two later. I had no memory of what happened and didn't even remember what state i was in. (It was on route 80 west, about 1500 feet past the toll booths crossing the Delaware River). To top it all off the PA State Police sent me a 3 point careless driving ticket in the mail a week later.

I tore the SE-R logos off the car and they're adorning my room now lol.