CA: Highway 17
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on CA: Highway 17 within the Fun Drives forums, part of the Regional Discussion category; If you guys are new to the bay area, give highway 17 a shot, but be careful because they roads ...

CA: Highway 17

If you guys are new to the bay area, give highway 17 a shot, but be careful because they roads are banked the wrong way which equils very fun, exciting and scary times. Raced it dozens of times, and try '17 in 17' getting over it in 17 minutes. But be careful!
    <--- Robert

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I hope you dont kill anyone. 17 is dangerous enough going the speed limit, but that is mostly because of the majority of people who drive it are stupid and shouldnt be on the road. 17 minutes though? Maybe ill try it at 3 in the morining.

17's pretty good. Ever tried highway 9 I like its pretty good its closer to where I live.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

hwy 9 FTW!!!!!!!! that is the best road evAr. i used to drive it every week. that, skyline blvd, hwy35, 17 and black, gist, etc... all good roads. watch out on the top of 35 for occasional crusier (rare) and bottom of 17 near the resevoir for crusiers (very often). other than that, be lucky you live near this areaz! i moved!
    bmw addict. often a practicing rwd purist.
    still coping with how ready the impreza platform is to outperform my skillset with its own.
    out there in the forests...

yeah highway 9 > *
    FORZA FERRARI

They used to be ok, but too many cops patrol those places because of accidents. Especially 17. They have a 0 tolerance to speeding. There was a segment on the news about it. People going 1 mph over were getting tickets. It's still the case because a co-worker of mine got a ticket last week going +2 over.
    Great spirits will always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    Gas, grass, or ass. Nobody rides for free.

i never used 17 to go fast, its not that kind of road really...but once you drive it a lot (all my friends live off summit, etc) you know where the cops hide. just dont mess around down by the resevoir.
    hw9 is the road above all others, IMO.
    bmw addict. often a practicing rwd purist.
    still coping with how ready the impreza platform is to outperform my skillset with its own.
    out there in the forests...

Quote Originally Posted by rally02wrx
    i never used 17 to go fast, its not that kind of road really...but once you drive it a lot (all my friends live off summit, etc) you know where the cops hide. just dont mess around down by the resevoir.
    hw9 is the road above all others, IMO.
    Where is 9? I'm located in Cupertino/Los Altos area.
    <--- Robert

Man, when I had my integra I had the clutch go out on me while I was driving on 17...on an uphill part. I was almost nailed by a semi and an RV. That was one scary day. Whenever I'm on there I always see a bunch of cops, but that's usually before 10 pm.
    Is 9 the one that goes through saratoga? I see so many cops there everytime I go it scares me.
    2006 SGM STi Cobb Stage II

Highway 9 is up int the saratoga hills. If you stay on Saratoga Ave. going west (towards saratoga) in turns into highway 9 once you reach the hills. Go in the afternoon and theres usually not any cops and theres usually not much traffic. If your going to go I'd wait a while I went last Wednesday and they were still doing some clean up work from mudslides.
    FORZA FERRARI

Sounds good. I can't go until the quarter ends and then I can come back to the bay area. Looking forward to it.
    2006 SGM STi Cobb Stage II

I Support ClubWRX
    I lived up in this area for 3 years, so I am very familiar with the roads in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

HWY 17 has WAAAYYYYYY too many cops on it. Keep the speeding for the backroads.

For easy going sweepers, try out San Jose/Soquel road. This road takes you from Summit Road to Santa Cruz Ave. Very fun when there is no traffic. My overall favorite.

Black Road from the bottom where it meets the offramp of Bear Creek Road, to where it hits Skyline Blvd. Pretty fun on the way up, but gets kind of dangerous where the road goes to one lane.

Bear Creek Road. Very challenging in the beginning when starting from HWY 17. Lots of hair pins, but gets open a few miles later. The high speed section starts at the bottom of the hill towards Hwy 9. Very fun.

HWY 9 FTW!!!! Very fun!!! I usually always start from Saratoga, and work my way up to 4 corners. My favorite section is between 4 corners and the exit for Big Basin. Very fun sweepers and lots of turns.

Quote Originally Posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    I lived up in this area for 3 years, so I am very familiar with the roads in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

HWY 17 has WAAAYYYYYY too many cops on it. Keep the speeding for the backroads.

For easy going sweepers, try out San Jose/Soquel road. This road takes you from Summit Road to Santa Cruz Ave. Very fun when there is no traffic. My overall favorite.

Black Road from the bottom where it meets the offramp of Bear Creek Road, to where it hits Skyline Blvd. Pretty fun on the way up, but gets kind of dangerous where the road goes to one lane.

Bear Creek Road. Very challenging in the beginning when starting from HWY 17. Lots of hair pins, but gets open a few miles later. The high speed section starts at the bottom of the hill towards Hwy 9. Very fun.

HWY 9 FTW!!!! Very fun!!! I usually always start from Saratoga, and work my way up to 4 corners. My favorite section is between 4 corners and the exit for Big Basin. Very fun sweepers and lots of turns.
    How long does 9 go?
    <--- Robert

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGeeWhiz
    How long does 9 go?
    Probably near 25 miles when you go from Saratoga up Hwy 9 to Felton. Then you can either turn around and go back, or take Mount Hermon road to Hwy 17 and go back over the hill that way.

I don't think I've ever gone all the way down higway 9. I usually go to around 4 corners and then use one of the turn outs to turn around.
    FORZA FERRARI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast