9005 vs 9011 (HIR) pics - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 9005 vs 9011 (HIR) pics within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey sonicyellow, can you post up a pic of the highbeams on from inside your car (if you have EDM/JDM ...

hey sonicyellow, can you post up a pic of the highbeams on from inside your car (if you have EDM/JDM headlights)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jpsimon
    hey sonicyellow, can you post up a pic of the highbeams on from inside your car (if you have EDM/JDM headlights)?
    i have to take photos of that first... but let me tell you, its bright! lights up everything! although its not as bright as rally pod lights, it was good enough to where i was fine at night rallyX events or in the canyons at night.
    Yes, that is me in my avatar! Kid's don't try this at home.
    CLICKY to view My Extensive Mod List!

can a guy not get an oem replacement bulb at the local auto parts store, or is the GM oem bulb better? or are the oem replacements not HIR? but they are all 9011's right? so any 9011 should work right? im lost

Quote Originally Posted by silverTEG
    can a guy not get an oem replacement bulb at the local auto parts store, or is the GM oem bulb better? or are the oem replacements not HIR? but they are all 9011's right? so any 9011 should work right? im lost
    HIR bulbs were developed by GE as a way to produce a higher light output from standard Halogen bulbs. HIR stands for Halogen Infrared Reflecting. Initially these were only used on the Dodge Viper, but are becoming more commonly used as OEM applications including the new Chevy Avalanche. They are currently ONLY manufactured by one company - Toshiba. If you ever find someone selling HIR bulbs and they are not made by Toshiba (clearly stamped on the base), then they are not HIR bulbs.

i have not seen these in part stores. the GM dealer would be a good local alternative, because i would think that dodge would charge $$$ since it's used in the Viper.
    Last edited by Quack; 01-05-2006 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quack
    HIR bulbs were developed by GE as a way to produce a higher light output from standard Halogen bulbs. HIR stands for Halogen Infrared Reflecting. Initially these were only used on the Dodge Viper, but are becoming more commonly used as OEM applications including the new Chevy Avalanche. They are currently ONLY manufactured by one company - Toshiba. If you ever find someone selling HIR bulbs and they are not made by Toshiba (clearly stamped on the base), then they are not HIR bulbs.

i have not seen these in part stores. the GM dealer would be a good local alternative, because i would think that dodge would charge $$$ since it's used in the Viper.
    thanks for the clarifacation quack.

i guess i'll just get the GM oem ones off the '03 avalanche then... rather than getting a possible non HIR from a parts store.

what are you using for your low beams?

thanks for the clarifacation quack.

i guess i'll just get the GM oem ones off the '03 avalanche then... rather than getting a possible non HIR from a parts store.

what are you using for your low beams?
    i was using the Osram Silverstars, but have gone to 5000k HID's. now the HIR's look yellow

i contacted daniel stern today, and i will be ordering 2 Narva rangepower 50 's and 2 Toshiba 9011 HIR-1's tommorrow, all for under $100 canadian.

I Support ClubWRX
    i contacted daniel stern today, and i will be ordering 2 Narva rangepower 50 's and 2 Toshiba 9011 HIR-1's tommorrow, all for under $100 canadian.
    Cool - you will not be disappointed! You are aware of the trimming needed on the 9011 base tab?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

you don't "need" to trim the base, it just makes it easier to install/remove, but there is another way to get them in

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...&highlight=hir

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Is that the right thread- they trimmed the base in that thread- I don't know any other way of it fitting correctly- it's a fairly minor trim operation and easy to do though
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

if you remove the 3 philips screws & base, you can get the bulb in, but you have to remove teh whole headlight assembly to get to them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    Is that the right thread- they trimmed the base in that thread- I don't know any other way of it fitting correctly- it's a fairly minor trim operation and easy to do though
    I'd agree. Less than a minute of filing is all it took for me (no Dremmel).
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Quack
    if you remove the 3 philips screws & base, you can get the bulb in, but you have to remove teh whole headlight assembly to get to them.
    That makes sense filing would still be easier/quicker.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
    That makes sense filing would still be easier/quicker.
    yep,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.