Fog Lights ON without the headlights
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fog Lights ON without the headlights within the Exterior and Appearance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Ok, I plan on turning off the Daytime running lights here from the scooby link. But the question is, has ...

Angry Fog Lights ON without the headlights

Ok, I plan on turning off the Daytime running lights here from the scooby link. But the question is, has anyone modified the fog lights to just turn on with the parking lights?
    2002 Rally Blue WRX - Few mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

dowell2244

Thumbs up

No, but let me know when you find out how! I'm just as curious as you are. I wish you could run them completely independently, even with the high beams. Makes the backroads alot funner too I'm sure it can be done somehow, but I'll let somebody else figure it out first. Later

Keeferno

I haven't done it to my WRX yet but I wired a simple switch for my eclipse and it's quite nice. I'll probably do the same thing to the WRX when I get a chance and i'll let you guys know if I do.

WRX07444

Cool

I had the same problem with my dodge ram pick-up. All I did was cut a pin off of one of the relays that control headlights and fog lights and presto I had independant control.

Now the question is can we do the same sort of thing on the wrx?

I hope someone posts a solution quick!

you can get them running without having to turn on the lights all the way by following instructions listed on this link ---->fog light mod

The problem I see is that the Day time running lights will still be on.

I'll try it but i'll have to find the constant wire behind the fog light switch first.
    Jorge F.
    Auto Concept Elite

I don't know what the daytime runnning lights have to do with the fog lights but some pointers on that link seems good. I would use a voltmeter and make sure what wire turns on the ciruit. If you look back in history, there is a link on here that shows that all you have to do to turn of the daytime running lights is by unplugging a harness. My fogs/parking/head lights still work so by replacing the wire from the headlights to the fog lights, it should work. The real problem is taking off the dash without breaking anything.

Sergeant V

Here's a link to another
    fog light mod

Thanks for the link Sergeant and I've successfully did this mod last night. It is awesome to have the fog lights ON with just the parking lights. I skipped some steps as I wired the the fog light wire turn on relay to the illumination fuse rather than taking the fuse box apart. I will post my version on the modification:

1. Disconnect battery if you don't want to take any risks.

2. Find the fuse box located on the lower left of the dash, you have to takeoff the coin holder (pulls right out when open)

3. To the right of the fuse box is a black case holding all the relays, take it off.(you can do this by pressing in the 3 black trim pieces with a needle nose pliers by getting under the dash from the side).

4. Locate the 4th relay down from the top of the black case(this is the fog relay) and locate the Red w/Green stripe wire on the backside.

5. Cut this wire and tape the wire coming from the dash.

6. Extend the Red/green wire going into the relay with a 1 foot wire (14/16 gauge).

7. Take that wire and wrap it around the illumination fuse and the place the fuse back in the fuse box

8. Tape up all connections and test it out before you put everything back togethor.

This mod will let you turn your fogs on with just the parking lights and/or the High Beams.

Thumbs up

Thanks Sherb, your method worked great! Very easy and fast.
    2002 WR Blue WRX

I am going to be doing this foglight mod in preparation for the "Vernal Equinox" Road Rally in two weeks. Hopefully high-beam and fogs will be enough light for the super dark roads these rallies are held on. I might be upgrading my bulbs as well.

-Jim

tan
    Get a pair of lights that have a "driving light" pattern. The difference is a narrower beam, but no vertical cut-off, allowing the beam to go higher & farther down. Jim you may recall my last car had driving lights.

My concern with this mod, has always been that you have a greater danger of running the battery flat, since it encourages the use of the parking lights which will stay on when the key is removed. Does this mod at least prevent the fogs from staying on with the parking lights when the key is removed?

Here's a thought: Are the oem foglights the sealed beam type, or can you replace the bulbs? I haven't checked on this, but if you can remove the bulb then it seems like there might be a possibility of converting them into driving lamps..?!? Anybody?

-Pace

The OEM foglights use and H3 bulb.

As for the foglight mod, I still dont use the parking light switch. Just turn the headlight switch one notch instead of two. And even with the foglight mod, if done correctly, they still turn off with the key.
    Last edited by refuse2growup; 03-15-2002 at 10:55 AM.
    Matt (refuse2growup)
    2002 WRX Wagon, Alpine White
    - Kartboy shifter and bushings - Subaru column mounted boost guage - Turbo XS MBC - AEM Cold Air Intake - Flowmaster Axle Back - Whiteline Rear Strut Tower Brace - Whiteline Front Strut Tower Brace - Subaru Sedan Rear Sway Bar - Whiteline solid sway bar end links front & rear - Whiteline ALK - Replica WRC headlights

The steps listed above shows:

6. Extend the Red/green wire going into the relay with a 1 foot wire (14/16 gauge).

7. Take that wire and wrap it around the illumination fuse and the place the fuse back in the fuse box

In step 7, whatever type of power you wire will determine when the fog lights can be turned on. If you use the battery power/fuse, the fogs can be turned on at anytime. Wrapping it to the ignition power/fuse will allow power to the fogs at the ignition level only. And ofcourse there is also an accessory power if one chooses.

i just did this today following your steps. took about 10 minutes, and real easy to do. thanks for the write up
    vf22 Stage IIII wagon of DOOM

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.