Hella Supertone Fuse Amperage

This is a discussion on Hella Supertone Fuse Amperage within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I installed my supertone horns. I'm using the included relay for a "cleaner" amount of power to the horns. ...

Hella Supertone Fuse Amperage

So, I installed my supertone horns. I'm using the included relay for a "cleaner" amount of power to the horns. As per "good practices", I fused the 12v source as close as possible to the battery terminal. I first tried a 5v fuse. I promptly blew it by laying on the horn. I tried a 10 amp fuse, blew it fairly quick too (although it lasted longer). Just wondering what fuse amperage I should be putting in here, and trying to determine whether I've got another problem. I have a fluke multimeter that can measure amperage (tried placing it into the fuse holder, and held down the horn, didn't measure anything).

So, my 2 questions (repeated sort of)

How do I measure the amperage of the two horns using a fluke series 73 III multimeter
    What amperage draw should I expect from the horns?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

FYI, I've *always* had problems w/ measuring amperage.
    Last edited by rotinom; 12-04-2004 at 02:49 PM.

The original horn should have a 15A fuse. You might try that, or 20A.

FWIW, I don't think all this business with the relay is necessary. There's one there for the stock horns already, and I can't imagine any reason to uprate that relay.

To actually measure the amperage with a multimeter, you need to hook the meter up in series with the load. So, you need to disconnect the circuit at some point, preferably a connector. Put one test lead in each half of the connector and test. Make sure your meter can handle at least 20A.