Hella Supertone Fuse Amperage
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Hella Supertone Fuse Amperage within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I installed my supertone horns. I'm using the included relay for a "cleaner" amount of power to the horns. ...

Hella Supertone Fuse Amperage

So, I installed my supertone horns. I'm using the included relay for a "cleaner" amount of power to the horns. As per "good practices", I fused the 12v source as close as possible to the battery terminal. I first tried a 5v fuse. I promptly blew it by laying on the horn. I tried a 10 amp fuse, blew it fairly quick too (although it lasted longer). Just wondering what fuse amperage I should be putting in here, and trying to determine whether I've got another problem. I have a fluke multimeter that can measure amperage (tried placing it into the fuse holder, and held down the horn, didn't measure anything).

So, my 2 questions (repeated sort of)

How do I measure the amperage of the two horns using a fluke series 73 III multimeter
    What amperage draw should I expect from the horns?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

FYI, I've *always* had problems w/ measuring amperage.
    Last edited by rotinom; 12-04-2004 at 03:49 PM.

The original horn should have a 15A fuse. You might try that, or 20A.

FWIW, I don't think all this business with the relay is necessary. There's one there for the stock horns already, and I can't imagine any reason to uprate that relay.

To actually measure the amperage with a multimeter, you need to hook the meter up in series with the load. So, you need to disconnect the circuit at some point, preferably a connector. Put one test lead in each half of the connector and test. Make sure your meter can handle at least 20A.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.