2004 ( 04 '04) foglight ( fog ) bulb replacement
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2004 ( 04 '04) foglight ( fog ) bulb replacement within the Exterior and Appearance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Here's what I've found to be the easiest way to change the bulbs in the '04 foglights. The bulbs are ...

'04 foglight bulb replacement

Here's what I've found to be the easiest way to change the bulbs in the '04 foglights. The bulbs are H3s btw, as stated in the WRX owners manual. Unlike the headlights, the manual doesn't give any instruction on how to change the foglights. It just says it will be too hard and to take it to the dealer. So here's my take on it.

The pictures are all of the passenger side fog light. Start by removing the plastic surround. It's just held in by small clips, so just pry it off with a flathead screwdriver. There's a little notch at the medial end of the surround that can get you started.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Don't go crazy, cause on the far side is one long tab that you don't want to break.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd.jpg  

There is one pop rivet and two 10mm bolts holding the foglight into a metal bracket. The rivet is easy to get too as you can see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3rd.jpg  

The two bolts can possibly be seen through the tow hook opening, to give you an idea of where they are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6th.jpg  

To get to the two bolts, you can go underneath the car. Just to the outside of the splash guard, on both sides of the car, lies another piece of plastic shielding. It is only about as wide as the foglight area itself. It is held on by two pop rivets on the front and the side of it, four screw rivets on the back of it, and by being interleaved with the splashguard. All you really have to do is take out the pop rivet from the front and side of it, then pull it out a little from under the splash guard. You don't have to pull the whole thing out, just the front of it so you can reach the bolts. This pic is at a weird angle, so hopefully you can picture it with the splashguard labled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4th.jpg  

Once you've pulled the plastic piece down, you can get your hand and a ratchet up there to remove the two bolts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5th.jpg  

After that, the whole foglight assy can be slid forwards, the round connector in back opened, and you have access to the bulb. It's just like other H bulbs. Disconnect it's lead wires and undo the spring clip. No pictures of that as I'm sure people can figure it out. Hope this helps some other '04 owners.

Bump for 2004 Owners. I also retitled the thread so it will search easier.

-Jim

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    Bump for 2004 Owners. I also retitled the thread so it will search easier.

-Jim
    Thank you PPMotorsp.. err.. PlatinumW.. err..

Ok I'll just say "Thanks Jim"

When I replaced mine, I did it the "Slit your wrists way". It involved twisting my arm in ways not intended, and slicing myself from the plastic shielding
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

I found easiest to do it from underneather the car during an oil change. I didn't have remove anything from the car except the skid pan and the bulb. And I already had the skid pan off to change the oil. Easier your way though if you don't feel like jacking up the car, but I do suggest doing them during an oil change.

--Jay--

I did this today, using the method posted with pictures. It didn't take longer than 15 minutes, start to finish. It's very simple.

FYI, ramps help a LOT in doing this.

Note: I bought 100watt bulbs, which come with a little tab on the metal ring on the outside of the bulb. You have to use pliers to carefully bend this tab back to make it fit. I shouldn't have to say this, but you can't touch the bulb before you put it in.
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Just did this myself using these instructions. Great write-up, thank you.

One thing I did learn though, is when reassembling everything, it's easier to do that pop tab that holds the foglight box in place (along with the two 10mm bolts) before putting the undertray part back on. I couldn't get enough force from just the front to pop that stupid tab in, and needed a supporting hand behind.
    Your organization's Internet use policy restricts access to this web page at this time.

gk1
    Just did this, and removing the popout next to the fog lamp mount is not required. Whoever invented those annoying plastic popouts should just be beaten. I had one that was almost impossible to get out. Once i got it out i noticed why. It had a bunch of mud in it and would not come out until i hit it with water.

Thanks for the write up though, exactly what i needed. What a lame thing for Subaru to cheap out on in the manual. It wasnt that bad.

I had my car less than 24 hours and wanted to install my PIAA bulbs. Thanks for this tutorial. I am sure it saved me a lot of time figuring out where those two bolts on the bottom were
    -Taz
    Blobeye Syndicate #77

"Understeer is when you´re scared...
    Oversteer is when your passengers are scared"

Glad I could help out. I put the PIAA Ion foglights in there so quickly after buying it that it was just silly. Nice combo, the Ions and 5.5k HIDs. Wish I still had the wagon.
    -ORW

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96
    I'll get under there this weekend and see if I can loosen things up and maybe shoot some lube juice up in there.

Oh sht, please don't sig that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.