Window Tint Laws (please add to this)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Window Tint Laws (please add to this) within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Pennsylvania : 30% all windows (though you can get away with 20%) New Jersey : Front windows, none. Rear windows, ...

tan

Window Tint Laws (please add to this)

Pennsylvania: 30% all windows (though you can get away with 20%)

New Jersey: Front windows, none. Rear windows, 35% (Enforcement does seem pretty lax)

Virginia: Front windows, 50%. Rear windows, 35% (You can do darker all around with a medical exemption

Delaware: Front Windows, none. Rear Windows, 20%. (you can get away with 20% on the front windows also)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Kentucky: 35% front, 20% rear
    Hardly enforced as I have 15% all the way around. Some people have darker and some even put them on the whole front windshield.
    2002 Rally Blue WRX - Few mods

California

The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

1. The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
    2. If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

That hardly makes sense, but it looks like you can do whatever you want with all the rear passenger, and back window.
    02 WRX Platinum Silver sedan
    No mods yet...

Georgia : Similar to Kentucky, as best I can remember. 35% on front windows, 20% on others. Windshield can have tinited strip on top portion not more than 6", I believe. You can have the whole windshield tinted, but only for medical reasons (eye problems, with doctors "excuse").
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Amendment to California Law

To add to California:

Back Windows: Anything goes if you have 2 side mirrors (you could completely cover them-doesn't matter)

Front windows: You can tint any% BEHIND the driver (some dorks actually tint the back half of the front windows-please don't do this)

Front Window: I beleive it's 4-6 inches down from the top can be tinted any%.

California doesn't have any restrictions on a maximum tint %.

City Police are *usually* too busy to do anything about enforcement, but I've gotten about 5 or 6 tickets from CHP for window tinting, so they look for it.
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

Michigan:

Windshield - 4" from top ANY

Front Door - 4" from top ANY

Rear Door - ANY

Back - ANY

This is by far the stupidest window tint state law out there. You can pretty much put any view blocking crap on your car. Even on the front doors as long as it doesn't go past 4" from the top of the windshield. This stupidness has to stop.
    Prodrive Headlight Conversion
    STi Front Grill
    Turbochargers.com Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade - T28 Compressor
    The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel
    Wagons Are Cool Check Out My Baby Here!

Like I said in a related post, Cops need to worry about cracking down on crime, I have no respect for any police officer who would pull someone over for their window tint. These people who make these laws need lobotamies.
    2011 SWP Premium Hatchback
    Flapatax Mud Flaps
    Kartboy STS with front and rear bushings
    Cobb AP Stage 1 (for now)

Originally posted by Flyboy
    Like I said in a related post, Cops need to worry about cracking down on crime, I have no respect for any police officer who would pull someone over for their window tint. These people who make these laws need lobotamies.
    It's my understanding in GA that a cop can't pull over for tinting violations, but can only "add" it onto for whatever reason they pulled you over.

um... tint laws are changing all the time..
    how about this?
    International Window Film Association

Originally posted by fullvision
    um... tint laws are changing all the time..
    how about this?
    International Window Film Association
    Excellent resource, fullvision! Thanks for passing it along.

killer resource

thanks man.

i'm going to type a bunch of good keywords on this post so that searchers can find it.

LEGAL TINT PERCENTAGE STATE % REGULATIONS LAW DARKNESS

dR

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Angry California Tinting

City Police are *usually* too busy to do anything about enforcement, but I've gotten about 5 or 6 tickets from CHP for window tinting, so they look for it.
    They look for it...especially in the summer time. THE BEST THING TO DO IS HIT GET THOSE FRONTS DOWN AS FAST AS POSSIBLE IF YOU SEE A COP!!! My friend has a bimmer with limo all around and has virtually developed a radar for cops and is really good about spotting them before they nail him for the tint! Its a 25$ or so fix-it ticket though...worth it or not?? It does look damn good tho.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

Originally posted by koyokid
    Michigan:

Windshield - 4" from top ANY

Front Door - 4" from top ANY

Rear Door - ANY

Back - ANY

This is by far the stupidest window tint state law out there. You can pretty much put any view blocking crap on your car. Even on the front doors as long as it doesn't go past 4" from the top of the windshield. This stupidness has to stop.
    This is wrong. I called the State Police AND my local (Chesterfield) Police. I also asked the tint place I plan on going to (Darkside in Shelby Township). They said..

Windshield - You are correct. 4" from top.

Front Doors - No tint allowed.

Rear Doors - 35%

Rear Window - 35%

I've never heard of any Michigan police enforcing this law. Unless you have limo tint all around or anything extreme. A friend has been pulled over twice with 35% in the front and 20% on the back and the cop never mentioned it.

EDIT: After reading the site above, I wonder which is right. Like I said, the above is what both police stations AND a tint place told me. *shrug*
    Last edited by verbal; 05-28-2003 at 07:25 AM.

I don't think you have to worry about getting pulled over for "illegal" tint. The only reason you have to be worried is when you go to sell your car. It won't pass inspection with tint on the front windows (or whatever your local law says). As long as you don't have limo tint, go ahead and get it tinted anyway you want. If you want to sell your car with an inspection, just have the tint removed from the front windows or just do it yourself. I have removed tint before with a hairdryer. It's not that hard.
    '02 WRX/STi

Florida legal tint is: 35% on front and 20% on rear windows
    autobahn storming scooby

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.