Window Tint Laws (please add to this) - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 243

This is a discussion on Window Tint Laws (please add to this) within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by Flyboy Like I said in a related post, Cops need to worry about cracking down on crime, ...

  1. #91
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    0
    Originally posted by Flyboy
    Like I said in a related post, Cops need to worry about cracking down on crime, I have no respect for any police officer who would pull someone over for their window tint. These people who make these laws need lobotamies.
    It's for the police officer's safety....
    !

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #92
    Registered User Airborne Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ft. Lewis, WA
    Posts
    498
    Originally posted by MR2WRX
    It's for the police officer's safety....
    it is but they can also tell you to get out of the vehicle, and if its for their safety then why do they drive around police cars with like 5% tint? but there was an accident in DC where this guy got "mirror" tint on his car, he got pulled over and held a 9mm pistol at the window and when the cop came to his window the man shot him like 9 times, so I can see why some tinting should be illegal, but 35%, thats bullsh!t!!!!
    PICTURES

    OBP Impreza WRX STi Stage 2 @22psi. MasterTuned on 94 octane. PIA Dyno'd at 301 AWHP & 330 AWTQ only could boost at 19psi on the dyno so not sure what it would be at 22psi.

    (Cenex Gas http://www.chsinc.com/auburn/Tacoma.htm )

    Quote Originally Posted by dewmudgeon View Post
    ok, so if i wanted a bov and got a cai as well,
    would they equal eachother out? creating minimal problems?

  4. #93
    Registered User Shifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Corvallis OR / OSU go BEAVS
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by 04WRXWagon
    I was told that wagons can have dark tint on all of the rear windows but not the fronts, because they are wagons. For the same reason that SUV's and Minivans come from the factory with dark tint.
    That isn't true. My friend was pulled over in a 02 rex wagon in Portland Oregon. He had legal 35% tint on the front and 25% on the rear windows. Oregon law says that WRX wagons aren't classified under minivans and suv's. Therefore he was ticketed and was given a fix it ticket. This may not be true for other states but for oregon its 35% all the way around sedan or wagon.
    Last edited by Shifty; 09-26-2004 at 10:28 PM.
    TINA..... come eat your ham!!!

    04 white wrx wagon stage 2.5

  5. #94
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    22
    California:

    Just got pulled over and told to remove front window tint at 35%. Wow...

  6. #95
    Registered User RSA_WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Citrus Heights, CA
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by FastWRX03
    California:

    Just got pulled over and told to remove front window tint at 35%. Wow...
    what color car you have?

  7. #96
    Registered User Vins02wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Northport Long Island New York
    Posts
    45
    Well in N.Y. the tint meter has to read 70% or higher if I remember correctly which would be like 30% tint.
    By the way on a bone stock 02 chevy impala the window reading with no tint on the meter is 73 so 70 is not that much darker then stock.
    As dark as you want it in the back windows but the front two are the limit above and the summons is fixable. You fix the tint and void the summons.
    Please don't ask where I got this information or how I know it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nypdmustang.jpg  
    Http://hometown.aol.com/vins87gn/vinnyscars.html 02WRX auto work done by MSPT.net and 02WS6 auto.

  8. #97
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    491
    I got a ticket for my tints. They are 35%. I live in NY. But yet 35% is legal isn't it. 70% of light has to be shown which means I have more then 70% of light showing through. Why did I get a ticket?
    96 Honda Integra Type R
    97 Jeep Grand Cherokee (DD)
    02 Subaru WRX (sold)
    www.HirevImports.com
    Brandon@HiRevImports.com

  9. #98
    Registered User tubbytreats's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    909
    krazyImports,

    You have 35% tint. This means you have 100-65 = 35% light showing through. That's NOT 70% and that's why you failed.

    35% tint does not mean that 65% of the light comes through. It means that only 35% of the light does. That's why Limo tint (0-10%) is so dark!

    2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

  10. #99
    Registered User bjbrad85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDoctor
    Virginia
    25% in the front
    anything in the rear
    Maryland
    20% in the front
    anything in the rear

    Maryland they wont do anything. Virginia they will
    I disagree with the VA law you posted. I had mine tinted last december and the darkest legal was 50% front and 35% rear. Maybe you posted a district tint law or it has since changed?
    Hey baby, wanna go pick up some groceries?

  11. #100
    Registered User gooseneck076's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Bel Air MD
    Posts
    48
    This thread is funny. MrDoctor is wrong about MD. Felix's long list was accurate. MD is 35%. Tint laws serve a purpose whether people like it or not. It is so Police can look into your vehicle at night and see you without having to worry about not seeing mr 9mm pointed back at their face. Most people that complain that cops should be fighting crime instead of picking on them for their tint should realize a few things. Most of the time you get stopped for minor traffic violations you are stopped by a traffic officer whos only job in his unit is to enforce traffic laws to include equipment violations. The patrol officers handle all the crimes. And secondly 90% of all crime in some way or another involve a motor vehicle. Whether it be fleeing a crime scene, driving to a crime scene, or actual crimes committed with a vehicle, traffic stops for minor violations is what catches a majority of these criminals. Timothy Mcveigh was arrested on a tailgating violation after the Oklahoma city Bombing. Millions of dollars in cash, weapons, and illegal narcotics are seized off of Americas highways each year for simple equipment violations to include tint. Tired of being "harassed"? Dont break the law. Sorry for the rant, I know I'm new but have some really good information on this type of subject.

  12. #101
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gooseneck076
    This thread is funny. MrDoctor is wrong about MD. Felix's long list was accurate. MD is 35%. Tint laws serve a purpose whether people like it or not. It is so Police can look into your vehicle at night and see you without having to worry about not seeing mr 9mm pointed back at their face. Most people that complain that cops should be fighting crime instead of picking on them for their tint should realize a few things. Most of the time you get stopped for minor traffic violations you are stopped by a traffic officer whos only job in his unit is to enforce traffic laws to include equipment violations. The patrol officers handle all the crimes. And secondly 90% of all crime in some way or another involve a motor vehicle. Whether it be fleeing a crime scene, driving to a crime scene, or actual crimes committed with a vehicle, traffic stops for minor violations is what catches a majority of these criminals. Timothy Mcveigh was arrested on a tailgating violation after the Oklahoma city Bombing. Millions of dollars in cash, weapons, and illegal narcotics are seized off of Americas highways each year for simple equipment violations to include tint. Tired of being "harassed"? Dont break the law. Sorry for the rant, I know I'm new but have some really good information on this type of subject.
    Your post basically proves my point in my previous post. I'm assuming you are a police officer? I like the 90% statistic, but it's the same thing as saying "90% of all crime in some way or another involves clothing..or hair..or whatever". Just because a car is involved, doesn't make a person automatically suspect for driving.
    Using high visibility cased like Timithy Mcveigh to support harrasment or drivers with tint on their windows is just the type of political crap I see all the time and do not support. What you are saying is that it's ok to pull someone over based on a "suspected" tint violation because it might lead to a crime bust of some other nature. What's next...home invasion by armed police officers' because there is a chance there might be something going on the house due to suspisious tinting of a vehicle on the driveway? Don't get me wrong, as I posted previously, there is no need for tint to dark that it prevents someone from seeing in.
    My case in point was that I have supposedly perfectly legal tint for my area, and my area law clearly states that tinting violations are not a "moving" violation. In other words, the police can't pull you over for it. I had a young officer pull me over for "driving too quickly around a corner". Hmmmm...lets check out that law....nope...doesn't exist. He immediatley pulled out his "tint" gun and checked my levels. Didn't pass. Wouldn't show me the calibration sticker on the unit. Wouldn't test it on a non-tinted portion of my windows. Basically, harassment, plain and simple. Come to find out, his own personal car was tinted way darker than mine. How did I find that out? A friend of the another officer showed me his car...which was a lowered honda accord with limo tint all the way around. After my case, he had to strip his windows clear (did I mention I won the case??). Anyway, tint laws suck, not because safet is irrelevent, but because of issues with:
    1. The inconsistent laws for tint, depending on where you live
    2. The inconsistent and vague manner in which the laws are applied.
    3. The inconsistent, and somtimes BS way in which they are enforced.

    Get that fixed and I'll support them 100%. Until then, I'll go to court each and every time!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  13. #102
    Registered User gooseneck076's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Bel Air MD
    Posts
    48
    Hey, I'm not one to argue on the internet but I don't believe I proved the point of your post at all. How is stopping a vehicle with dark tint harassment if it is in fact against the law to tint your windows so dark. I'm sorry for your bad experience with the police, if some officers decide to hold a double standard when it comes to their personal vehicles then thats a problem that should be taken care of by that officers department. My train of thought id that if I do I dont write tickets for it. Example: I rarely wear a seatbelt when I'm at work therefore I don't write seatbelt tickets. Don't generalize all police because you had a bad experience with what sounds like a rookie. As you did point out the laws vary extremely from state to state. Here in MD it is not a payable ticket it is simply a repair order. When you get it checked if it passes then your go on your merry way, fail and you take it off. The state isn't making money on that. I do applaud you on taking tickets to court. What every person needs to realize is that your not guilty of anything unless the judge says you are or you pay something out. Don't think your guilty go to court. Advice I give even to people I write tickets to. The age old debate between the Police and people who receive tickets will never end. But Please do not tell me safety is irrelevant in tint laws. Until you try my job out and see the bull crap that the public does do on a daily basis then you have no say in the matter on what is safe for me and what isn't. Again, I don't wanna argue over this subject. Every body has a differing opinion on this subject. Just figured I would give a differant perspective on this issue and why we the Police do certain things. I post on forums like this because I enjoy my personal car and what I do with it on my personal time and it interests people that I'm a cop and drive the car I do. Thats all. I don't mind people talking trash about Police because as in any profession there are bad apples in every bunch. But as always a couple of things to remember. If you are beaking the law dont complain when you get caught. Secondly, I don't tell race car drivers how to drive their cars on the track, I don't tell the mailman how to deliver my mail. But why is it that everybody trys to tell us how to do our jobs?
    " People sleep peacibly in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

  14. #103
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gooseneck076
    Hey, I'm not one to argue on the internet but I don't believe I proved the point of your post at all. How is stopping a vehicle with dark tint harassment if it is in fact against the law to tint your windows so dark. I'm sorry for your bad experience with the police, if some officers decide to hold a double standard when it comes to their personal vehicles then thats a problem that should be taken care of by that officers department. My train of thought id that if I do I dont write tickets for it. Example: I rarely wear a seatbelt when I'm at work therefore I don't write seatbelt tickets. Don't generalize all police because you had a bad experience with what sounds like a rookie. As you did point out the laws vary extremely from state to state. Here in MD it is not a payable ticket it is simply a repair order. When you get it checked if it passes then your go on your merry way, fail and you take it off. The state isn't making money on that. I do applaud you on taking tickets to court. What every person needs to realize is that your not guilty of anything unless the judge says you are or you pay something out. Don't think your guilty go to court. Advice I give even to people I write tickets to. The age old debate between the Police and people who receive tickets will never end. But Please do not tell me safety is irrelevant in tint laws. Until you try my job out and see the bull crap that the public does do on a daily basis then you have no say in the matter on what is safe for me and what isn't. Again, I don't wanna argue over this subject. Every body has a differing opinion on this subject. Just figured I would give a differant perspective on this issue and why we the Police do certain things. I post on forums like this because I enjoy my personal car and what I do with it on my personal time and it interests people that I'm a cop and drive the car I do. Thats all. I don't mind people talking trash about Police because as in any profession there are bad apples in every bunch. But as always a couple of things to remember. If you are beaking the law dont complain when you get caught. Secondly, I don't tell race car drivers how to drive their cars on the track, I don't tell the mailman how to deliver my mail. But why is it that everybody trys to tell us how to do our jobs?
    I apologize as it appears what I was tring to say has been misunderstood. I am all in favor of tint laws that prevent windows from being too dark to see through. Period. I am all in favor of the enforcement of this law, if practised as fair and equally applicable. Period. I do believe that tint laws are currently being enforced haphazaardly, and in some locations, are used as a source of civic revenue. I applaud your honesty and un-hypocrital approach to your job, and wish there were more like you on the force. I've got a few friends in your line of work, and can understand some of what you have to deal with. Would I do it myself? No way. You have one of the toughest jobs for the pay in the US, especially in these times.
    I don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch BTW. I still wave to all of my local officers and ensure that I'm not being a terror in the local community. Not to say I don't burn the roads up here and there, but I dont "p1ss in my own pot" so to speak. Thats just plain asking for trouble and more focus on your car. Where at in MD are you? I cruise the Newark scene every now and then. If you are in that area, are you going to be involved in the "Cruise Newark" show this year? Should be the biggest car show on the NE coast this year. Somwehere around 500-600 cars. I know we've got the police force involved, so I just thougth I'd ask.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  15. #104
    Registered User gooseneck076's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Bel Air MD
    Posts
    48
    YB I like you allready. Balls enough to tell people what you think but alot of common sense as well. As for Newark I might go with the Scooby but I definately won't be "working" the event. Newark is not quite an hour away. If your into autocross though we have a track right here in my hometown of Aberdeen MD.
    " People sleep peacibly in their beds only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

  16. #105
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the invite and compliment. Same goes for you. As for autocross, I've moved over to road courses, and in fact, frequent Summit Point, which might be close to you. Bring your scoob up for the newark show. Once we have the website ready, I'll post it in the regional forums so everyone has a chance to register. Going to be huge!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •