Window Tint Laws (please add to this) - Page 6
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Window Tint Laws (please add to this) within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; CALIFORNIA Don't have any tint in the front and I believe there is no legal limit to the rear windows. ...

CALIFORNIA

Don't have any tint in the front and I believe there is no legal limit to the rear windows. Cops don't have much to do in the Bay Area so I tinted mine only 35% in the front. No problems yet.
    03 Wagon WRB

My Mods/Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I got pulled over a few months ago in michigan for my tints. I have 20% on all four doors then 5% on my rear window and nothing on my front. The cop was cool and we started to talk about cars and he wanted to know if I ever raced an STI and if my WRX won and stuff like that. He gave me a ticket for my tints. So the next day I took my two front door tints off and took my car to the police station and got the ticket waved. Later that day I got my car re-tinted, and the next day the same cop pulled me over again! He was nice and told me he would give me a week to take them off or he is gonna give me another ticket (he didnt know I go it re-tinted). I havent seen him since, but lets just say I have been rolliung with my windows down more.

This is what it looks like:

I Support ClubWRX
    I just got my windows tinted last week...the lightest tint the shop provided. Today, some ahole of a twit with lights on top pulls me over Anway, he says that he pulled me over for my window tint, then suddenly remembers that you can't pull someone over in PA just for window tint, so then says I was driving "quickly around corners". I pointed to the pizza, salad, and 2 gallons of milk in my passenger seat and said that I didn't think I was, otherwise I would spill this stuff.
    Anyway, this crankmeister pulls out 2 little light meters, and proceeds to "verify my light transmittance" through my front drivers window. I was pretty confident as I had specifally told the shop the lightest tint possible, so it would be legal.
    Well, the meter comes up at 25% . He then said the legal limit was 70% and that he was going to issue me a citation. I had been yessirring and nossiring him the whole time, being as calm and polite as possible, but I kind of lost it at this point. I told him I'm 42 years old, a wife and 3 kids, and that he could obviously see into my car, and in fact all the way through both windows to the other side. He just shook his head and asked for my drivers liscense. I started grumbling and he says "Look buddy, I could also give you a ticket for that wing on the back, that thing on your hood, and your exhaust. I looked him in the eye and said "Maybe you want to issue it to Subaru or the DOT because everything on this car is stock and issued as is from the factory". He then tried to tell me my radar detector mounted on my dash (very securely) was illegal. At that point I just shut up because I was so mad I knew I would say something stupid. After he gave me the ticket, I again tried to reason with him about the tint, and the ability to easily see through it (really..it is barely there...can't even tell at night). He wasn't having it. I then asked him when was the last time his meters had been calibrated and the jackoff actually said "you saw me calibrate it right before I used it". In other words, he merely reset it for ambient conditions, and has no clue what calibration means.

Soo...that was my rant. Here is my question. The PA tint law reads like this

" 175.262. Applicability.
    This subchapter applies to vehicles which are subject to a periodic safety inspection, except those inspected in accordance with 175.130 (relating to inspection procedure).
    175.263. Sun screening location.
    (a) Windshields, side windows and side wings. A person may not operate, on a highway, a motor vehicle with a front windshield, side window or side wing that has been equipped with a sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle. This subchapter does not prohibit the use of products or materials along the top edge of the windshield if the products or materials are transparent and do not encroach upon the AS-1 portion of the windshield as provided by FMVSS No. 205 and if the devices or materials are not more than 3 inches from the top of the windshield. "

Then for the rear window (for which I have no tint at all) it says:
    (b) Rear window. The rear window on a motor vehicle may be treated by the vehicle owner with a sun screening device or other material. If the rear window is treated with a sun screening device or other material, the vehicle shall comply with 175.264 (relating to mirrors). See Table X for specific requirements for vehicles subject to this subchapter.

So there is this mysterious Table X. I found it, and that is where you find that you are allowed 70% sides and rear. What is really odd, is that 1) the way the law is written, Table X only applys if your rear window is tinted and 2) FMVSS No. 205 is essentially a safety standard for vehicle manufacturers, and nowhere does it state anything below 70% is illegal or hard to see through. So this is obviously an interpretation by our dear PA DOT.

And what is really screwed up is I drove to our local cop shop to ask if I could get a copy of the law they reference on the ticket, and in the lot sits a honda civic with totally blacked out window...right next to 5 cop cars...grrrrrrrrrrr!!

Now the real question. Has anyone in PA successfully fought this assinine law? If not, any suggestions would be welcome. I plan on fighting this, without a lawyer, just to see what happens.

Thanks
    Last edited by YBNormal07; 03-27-2004 at 04:06 PM.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

The cops in your area (PA) must have nothing else to do. I am sorry to hear about that. I have mine super dark in the back only one shade lighter in the front. I was pulled over for speeding and the cop said nothing about the tint. I guess it depends who pulls you over. Again, sorry to hear that
    03 Wagon WRB

My Mods/Pics

we all know PA sucks for window tint. all local and state police (and inspection stations) have different opinions about it where some are more leniant than others. JUST DONT THINK ABOUT A STRIP ON THE WINDSHIELD LARGER THAN 3.5 INCHES. ive been to court twice for it and i have won both times, if anyone needs advice

Registered User Craven Moorhead's Avatar

WI

Just back from tinting, here in Wisconsin law is as follows:

Front - visor strip only
    Front Sides - 50%
    Rear Sides - 30%
    Rear - 30%

I went with 30% on all, cant clean the windows for 5 days.
    " I feel so dirty" but it looks good.

FOR ALL THOSE WHO THINK TINT LAWS ARE GAY!!!

My father is a police officer, and i have to worry about somebody who doesnt want to go to jail cause they are about to get their license taken away ect! Im not saying Tint is a bad thing...I am going to tint my windows, but please keep it to a sane level...its for your safety and they officers too!!
    I want Boost!
    Quote Originally Posted by adam3482p
    If I had a Mustang, I'd sell it and buy some Waffles.
    Want to play with my Wankel?

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think most folks think tint laws are ghey....its:
    1. The inconsistent laws for tint, depending on where you live
    2. The inconsistent and vague manner in which the laws are applied.
    3. The inconsistent, and somtimes BS way in which they are enforced.

Anyone who has had tint on their window knows that if it is too dark, it's just plain unsafe. You cant see at night if your tint is too dark, and that's just plain stupid. The only legitimate reason for "limo" tint....guess what..there is no legitimate reason. If you apply the rule of "officer safety" to window tinting, then any tint that prevents you from seeing into any portion of any vehicle should be illegal. That is how the law should be written, applied, and enforced.

As it stands, tint laws are used as source of revenue and harrassement, not as a means of officer safety. If you don't believe me, just drive around in any either very rich section of a city, or a very poor section of a city. You'll see examples of too dark tint in both areas. Typically, the folks that get harrassed for tint are those with modified vehicles, not the rich or the poor. The rich because they just don't care and will pay the fine (or due to favoritism by the enforcement authorities...goes both ways), and the economically challended don't have the law enforced because the authorities know it's a form of russion roulette to pull over a "banger" vehicle in the wrong section of town just for a tint violation. Think beyond the core....thats what a brain is for.

there...rant over....
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

i'm getting 15% done right now on all 5 windows with sunroof 5% and i live in Jersey....
    .....gotta be careful
    FP Green STi

35% up front and 5% in the back. 35% is still very visible.... Here in Ca, if a cop wanted to which most do, if they are able to scratch any kind of tint on your front windows, you get a ticket... it all depends on how much of a **** the cop feels like being

Virginia

Last i cheaked it was 35% all the way around.

Originally posted by Sotbas
    NEW YORK

Just got pulled over the other day and the cop used his tint meter on my windows. They came up as 27% and he said the darkest legal limit in New York is 70%. Didn't get ticketed though... just flashed him the "magic card" and he let me off.

Another type of "magic card"..... military ID. Depends on where you are and who pulls you over....but I've been let out of a couple of tickets my opening my wallet and having my military ID adjacent to my drivers license...

I got a $190 ticket in NC for my 5% window tint... that sh@t sucked!!! But here in washington its not as bad, atleast it doesnt seem that way!!
    PICTURES

OBP Impreza WRX STi Stage 2 @22psi. MasterTuned on 94 octane. PIA Dyno'd at 301 AWHP & 330 AWTQ only could boost at 19psi on the dyno so not sure what it would be at 22psi.

(Cenex Gas http://www.chsinc.com/auburn/Tacoma.htm )

Quote Originally Posted by dewmudgeon View Post
    ok, so if i wanted a bov and got a cai as well,
    would they equal eachother out? creating minimal problems?

Originally posted by seph
    Another type of "magic card"..... military ID. Depends on where you are and who pulls you over....but I've been let out of a couple of tickets my opening my wallet and having my military ID adjacent to my drivers license...

YUP! its gotten me out of about 5 or so speeding/moving violations......
    PICTURES

OBP Impreza WRX STi Stage 2 @22psi. MasterTuned on 94 octane. PIA Dyno'd at 301 AWHP & 330 AWTQ only could boost at 19psi on the dyno so not sure what it would be at 22psi.

(Cenex Gas http://www.chsinc.com/auburn/Tacoma.htm )

Quote Originally Posted by dewmudgeon View Post
    ok, so if i wanted a bov and got a cai as well,
    would they equal eachother out? creating minimal problems?

I dont know if this has been posted yet

Georgia
    No tint laws!!!!
    They were repealed last year. Right now you can get as dark as you want on any of the back windows. I dont know how dark you can get the front windshield (a friend is getting his done 50% but the shop will only do it afterhours for legal reasons). The legislators are working on getting the law back into place but if your car already has the tint on it you'll be grandfathered in.
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.