Window Tint Laws (please add to this) - Page 5
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Window Tint Laws (please add to this) within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by TheCriticizer I have 5% limo all around, and tint strip on windshield. Cops dont say **** to ...

Originally posted by TheCriticizer
    I have 5% limo all around, and tint strip on windshield. Cops dont say **** to me
    Maybe it's your avatar. lol. Dark tint rocks but it's good that the cops don't hassle you.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

NEW YORK

Just got pulled over the other day and the cop used his tint meter on my windows. They came up as 27% and he said the darkest legal limit in New York is 70%. Didn't get ticketed though... just flashed him the "magic card" and he let me off.

"magic card"?
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

I think that its more of a county type law. The numbers ivwe seen so far are contrdicting what i was quoted by my local shop. Here is what i was told for NW Florida: %15 all around but could get away with %5. I know this has to be correct because the tint has a lifetime warranty, which requires the reciept, and would land the installer a HUGE fine. Best bet: Check your local shops and with the DMV. Only go to reputable shops as Ive know people whod paint you windows black if you asked for it.
    You shut your MOUTH when you're talkin to me!

MAINE 50% anywhere. 4" at any piont from the top of the windshield.

The most important part...You have to have the installers certificate and sample that says its 50% in the car at all times, and it has to be presented to the inspector when you go to get the state inspection sticker. No metalic tints allowed, only smoke colored.

Note; Cops enforce the laws, we make them. It is possible to change them.
    -Chris
    Turbo Baja, Turbo Jetta

Does anyone know what Rhode Islands tint laws are??

retarded a$$ Texas:

front - 35% (if cop pulls you over)
    front - 25% (during vehicle inspection)

rear - any

Originally posted by djrez4
    Colorado

27% front windows

I believe the rest are unrestricted.

You are right but I just graduated from the police academy and they basically say as long as you can see in the car dont worry about it, so if you have tint to dark just roll the windows down right away and you should be fine.

Originally posted by drossel
    retarded a$$ Texas:

front - 35% (if cop pulls you over)
    front - 25% (during vehicle inspection)

rear - any
    That is retarded!
    -Chris
    Turbo Baja, Turbo Jetta

NJ Cops

If similar post exists, sorry, i ain't reading through this entire thread ; - )

I live in Central New Jersey and have tint all the way around (except windshield of course). I'm going to say this (and i'll bet anyone else who lives here will say the same): It depends 1: Where you are and 2: Who the cop is and 3: Probably your age & race

I live in a more "rural" part of the state and work in Union (urban area). My experience so far is this...I have had tint for about 1 year now. The first time I was nabbed was in Belmar, a shore town here. The cop slammed on his brakes and pulled a u-ey as I drove by, he gave me the speech, "...it's illegal, blah, blah" and proceeded to write a ticket for the tint, "letting me off" on the "speeding" of 32 in a 25 zone. So that was that and I "moved" on. (btw - i turned around and drove home, not wishing to spend any money in that friggin' town after that - note to Belmar residents, thank that officer for your higher taxes and 1 less "tourist")

Next time was in Freehold, NJ. Another rural area. This was at night. I was told it was illegal, etc. Also, this cop tells me that my license plate cover is illegal too. (I thought he meant the front cover, because its' one of those "laser diffuser" things, but he said both! (my rear plate cover is totally clear!). I told him I had no idea, and he told me that if he writes a ticket for tint, Freehold, NJ law REQUIRES a court appearance (which is probably so they can make me prove I removed the tint). But, at the end of the whole thing, he came back to my car and said he wouldn't write any tickets because I was nice to him. And he basically warned me about Freehold and tint as other officers wouldn't be so forgiving! I still don't know whether to be thankful or pissed.

All other times I have passed cops in other parts of this state I have tried to be fast enought to roll 'em down and have been successful. I think the city cops have more important crap to worry about so they have never bother me. Also, I have driven right next to State Troopers and they don't even give me a second look.

After those two instances, so far, I have left the tint on. But, my major concern is that one night where I have had a couple of drinks and a cop nabs me for tint, I end up with a DUI.
    Chancing it so far though, i don't drink that much.

I would just peel it off, but, the "selective enforcement" in this state is horrible. If I knew I'd get pulled over 100% of the time, I would peel it, but its just like speeding; I drive 80mph avg. to work everyday, never getting pulled over (like all other commuters here), but the one Saturday I drove to work, I was doing 83mph, and got the one State Trooper who wanted to pull someone over. SELECTIVE ENFORCEMENT!

And I still don't understand the argument for tint laws. I always guessed it was that the cops want to see in your car. BUT, then why the hell let us tint our back windows?
    Besides, I don't know about anyone else, but EVERY TIME i am pulled over at night, the cop shines the friggin' search light through the back of my window anyway and I can feel the friggin' heat of the thing, so I know he can see me and everything I am doing. If not, the heat alone stuns me and I can't move fast enough to be dangerous to him!

Those are my thoughts, sorry for the length, but there's some passion there!

BTW - best source for tint laws? YOUR STATE DMV's web site !!! New Jersey has 'em posted. NJ's site also has the explanation of how to legally have front window tint (you have to have a doctor send a letter to NJ DMV stating that you have 1 of 4 severe skin disorders causing extreme light sensitivity !!! NO, I am not joking).

Quote, "we are only as free as our c*ck s*cking, swine, old, shister lawyers / lawmakers allow" - by me
    Last edited by robertln; 01-07-2004 at 09:05 PM.
    -Blue Ru <Suba>

magic card?

Originally posted by Th3Franz
    "magic card"?

I think he was referring to a "pba card" or "fop card".
    Its known to generally work like this:

You know a cop, (family member, friend, etc.). He gives you a pba/fop card. It has his name on it.

You get pulled over, show the card, the cop let's you off with a warning, gives the card back. Or, confiscates the card. Or tells you he doesn't give a sh*t who you know, takes the card, writes the ticket, tells you "thanks for he card".

Most people find a way to make sure the cop "sees" the card sticking out of their wallet as they remove their license, reg., etc. so it doesn't feel like a "bribe" or whatever.

I had a couple of these cards from friends who know cops. Never used 'em.

PBA = Policemen's Benevelont Association
    FOP = Fraternal Order of Police
    (both policemen's Unions of a sort)

"Fruity Pebbles really do taste better then "Fruity Bites"
    -Blue Ru <Suba>

No disrespect but I totally agree about tint laws are gay but you have to understand why they are so strict about. For example, cop pulls over a guy who is driving like an ass, the guy who is driving like an ass has tints, limo all around, the cop is iin immediate danger because he can not see what the suspect is doing. This may seem far fetched but for all the cop knows, the suspect is planning something or pulling a gun and the cop doesn't know it. Trust me, the law is gay, the likely hood of us car enthusiasts doing something like this is slim to none, or atleats I hope so, it sucks for us, but think about in that way. And about the magic card, OK
    Just my .02
    JT
    2006 OBP STI
    WANTING STI trunk/lid for my WRX trunk and lid!!!

Oh, my dad is a cop, (was going to leave that out but) the card thing may help, but 99% of the time, the cop won't care, and it will give a bad name to who gave you the card. The cop may be a nice and understanding guy, but a card is the last thing you want to do. If you want my advice, coming from a cops son, be extremely nice, kiss ass if need be( not literally, lol) and make sure you make the cop as comfortable and calm as possible. I have been pulled over atleast 15 times for my old cars exhaust and limo tints, and only once I have gotten a ticket( it didn't help the same cop pulled me over for the third time so he thought 3 times was a little much). never used my fathers name and was always extremely nice. It works! You have to remember, that they were young at once too, so they know where you are coming from!
    2006 OBP STI
    WANTING STI trunk/lid for my WRX trunk and lid!!!

mine is 5% all the way around 35% on the winshield, definitely not legal anywhere but i dont care, it looks good
    2002 black WRX

Originally posted by BlackRex2002
    mine is 5% all the way around 35% on the winshield, definitely not legal anywhere but i dont care, it looks good
    Pics?