Window Tint Laws (please add to this) - Page 4
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Window Tint Laws (please add to this) within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by bambams247 WHAT THE **** IS THIS? I was driving in Schamburg, IL last night and got pulled ...

Originally posted by bambams247
    WHAT THE **** IS THIS?

I was driving in Schamburg, IL last night and got pulled over for my window tint. When I went to the place where I got them installed they said I had the legal limit. I got a 75 dollar ticket and the police officer said that I am not allowed to have ANY tint on my car. I have 20% in the back window and back doors, 35% on the front doors, and a 6 inch bar on the front windshiled that is also 35%. Does anyone know what I can do. I signed an iBond to get my license back. Thanks.
    Both the officer and the tint shop are wrong. You cannot have tint on your front windows, everything else is probably OK. All you can do is pay the ticket. You might want to remove your front tints if he gave you a fix ticket. Otherwise you are in violation of the law.
    ribonucleic acid freakout

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

PA tint

From what I researched and what I have been told the legal limit in PA is 70% as someone stated previously. Essentially, that is no tinting at all. I have 20% all around on my integra (exc. front windshield) and in the 10 months I have had it done, I have not been pulled over. I got my car inspected by a friend that works as a tech at a chevy dealer and asked him about the tinting "deal." He told me that he cannot fail me for having my windows tinted. He said that only state police have the ability to legally give tickets because they have the tool/guide to see exactly how much sunlight shines through the windows. In other words, what I took from that is that all other municipal cops arent actually checking the % of tint they are just giving tickets for having them tinted, which, if he is correct ( and i assume he is) is illegal. So as far as im concerned when I'm on the interstate and the state po-po are out you better believe I'll have my windows down
    99 Cutlass - gone
    01 Integra GS-R bolt-ons - gone
    04 WRX stage 2+ - gone
    06 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6 spd - gone
    08 Mercedes E350 4matic Sport - lease turned in
    10 Mazdaspeed 3 SRI/Test Pipe - Current

This info is from my dad who is a cop:

Missouri: max:any% in rear, 35% in front.

Illinois: max: any% in rear, nothing allowed in front.

Front visor no more than 6in. in both states.

Exception in IL. :if vehicle is older than a 94', side front window tinting is permitted since that was the year the tint laws came into effect.
    Also, any side front window tint that came factory on a NEW car or is avaliable as a factory option is leagal in Illinois.

Ya I know its F'ed up
    Last edited by SuperSubie81; 07-15-2003 at 11:26 PM.
    - Founding member of the STL 20G-Unit, Word.-

I read that in Illinios you aren't allowed to have tints at all. My cousin is a cop and he told me the same thing. There might be an exeption to factor window tints. I guess it just matters how anal the cops are where you live.

Re: PA tint

Originally posted by jdillen
    From what I researched and what I have been told the legal limit in PA is 70% as someone stated previously. Essentially, that is no tinting at all. I have 20% all around on my integra (exc. front windshield) and in the 10 months I have had it done, I have not been pulled over. I got my car inspected by a friend that works as a tech at a chevy dealer and asked him about the tinting "deal." He told me that he cannot fail me for having my windows tinted. He said that only state police have the ability to legally give tickets because they have the tool/guide to see exactly how much sunlight shines through the windows. In other words, what I took from that is that all other municipal cops arent actually checking the % of tint they are just giving tickets for having them tinted, which, if he is correct ( and i assume he is) is illegal. So as far as im concerned when I'm on the interstate and the state po-po are out you better believe I'll have my windows down
    That's reassuring! I'm getting my car tinted 20Rear/35Front tonight, and while I do most of my driving in MD (legal limits here) I'm registered in PA and I have to get my car inspected this weekend! I wish I had a friend at an inspection station, though, I'm still paranoid that I'll get someone retarded who will fail my brand new car for tint (yes, I know, I could wait till after I get it inspected to put the tint on, but I'm imatient )

tint laws are pretty stupid but they made them because cops were getting killed when walking up to the drivers windows(they cant see inside) plus it is dangerous at night, i can hardly see anything out of my drivers and passengers side windows. but if you want to get out of any ticket all you have to do, at least in illinois, is get a note from an eye doctor saying you need tint because your eyes are light sensitive to the sun. there is still a chance you will go to court, but it will be thrown out.

WA

Washington is 35% all around, no tint allowed on the windshield.
    Red Rex Sedan 5 Spd
    - Tinted Windows, BEL 980
    - Hell of a list, ain't it?

Virginia
    25% in the front
    anything in the rear
    Maryland
    20% in the front
    anything in the rear

Maryland they wont do anything. Virginia they will

I Support ClubWRX
    I was just reading a magazine that compiled all the State tint laws into one big list. When I figure out which one it is I'll post it up and scan the table...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

[QUOTE]Originally posted by billy brown 66
    [B]tint laws are pretty stupid but they made them because cops were getting killed when walking up to the drivers windows(they cant see inside) plus it is dangerous at night

Yeah, that's what the cop told me last year when I got stopped for having tint on the front windows of my corolla. Now when i see a cop while I'm driving, I AUTOMATICALLY roll down the two front windows, doesn't matter what time of day or night it is.

New Hampshire

0% on any front windows unless youhave a medical waiver

6 inches down from top of windshield but not more than 35%

35% maximum on any window behind the driver

Be careful too with your tints, even if you dont get a ticket for it, lets say you get into an accident even if it is completely not your fault a smart adjuster can deny 100% of your claim if the tint on your windows violates state law

Vermont:

NONE allowed on front

ANY on everything else

6" down on Windshield

Got Bored so here you go:

AL
    F: 32%
    R: 32%

AK
    F: None
    R: 37%

AZ
    F: 33%
    R: Any

AR
    F: 25%
    R: 25%

CA
    F: 70%

CO
    Colorado allows the window tint combination to be your choice of none front/any rear OR 27% front/27% rear.

CT
    F: 35%
    R: 35%

D.C.
    R: 50%

DE
    R: None

FL
    F: 28%
    R: 15%

GA
    F: 32%
    R: 32%

HI
    F: 29%
    R: 29%

IA

ID
    R: 20%

IL

IN
    F: 30%
    R: 30%

KS

KY
    R: 18%

LA
    F: 40%

MA

MD

ME
    F: 50%

MI
    F: 4inches from top edge

MN

MO

MS

MT

NC

ND

NE

NH

NJ

NM
    F: 20%

NV
    R: None

NY
    R: 70%

OH

OK
    F: 25%

OR

PA

RI

SC
    F: 27%
    R: 27%

SD

TN

TX

UT
    F: 43%

VT

WA

WI

WV

WY
    F: 28%
    R: 28%

Re: queston

Originally posted by Jack
    lower the % the lighter it is...

so 100% would be limo...correct?

Thqanks tom
    I think is the other way around. The lower the number the darker it is.

I think the percentage is how much visibility you have left.

I may be wrong....

I thought Limo was something like 15% visibility...

Originally posted by WRXed
    Georgia : Similar to Kentucky, as best I can remember. 35% on front windows, 20% on others. Windshield can have tinited strip on top portion not more than 6", I believe. You can have the whole windshield tinted, but only for medical reasons (eye problems, with doctors "excuse").
    I have 5% limo all around, and tint strip on windshield. Cops dont say **** to me