Window Tint Laws (please add to this) - Page 17
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast

This is a discussion on Window Tint Laws (please add to this) within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What part of Kentucky? I used to live there and I still go there a few times a year...

What part of Kentucky? I used to live there and I still go there a few times a year

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I tint windows for a living and I have all my windows tinted. I have ceramic 35% all around and 80% on the windshield. During the summer I turn down the AC because it gets too cold. I'm going to retint everything with Suntek CXP. I have had police and sheriffs that came and tinted their car 20% all around and 80% on the windshield. When I ask them about the tint laws they don't mind it as long as they can see who is driving inside. So if you get 5% or 20% on the front windows they will probably want to stop you. Or if they stop you for some bs reason they will want to issue you a ticket for something and that would most likely be a tint ticket.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drox View Post
    I tint windows for a living and I have all my windows tinted. I have ceramic 35% all around and 80% on the windshield. During the summer I turn down the AC because it gets too cold. I'm going to retint everything with Suntek CXP. I have had police and sheriffs that came and tinted their car 20% all around and 80% on the windshield. When I ask them about the tint laws they don't mind it as long as they can see who is driving inside. So if you get 5% or 20% on the front windows they will probably want to stop you. Or if they stop you for some bs reason they will want to issue you a ticket for something and that would most likely be a tint ticket.
    I want to add a bit to this. It's going to be up to the cops discretion as well. Legally in Connecticut it's 35 in the front and either 20 in the rear or as dark as you want. Some cops don't care how dark it is ass long as they can read your license through the window if you hold it up
    Stinkeye member 520

Just a heads up in NY, yes you can have the back window as dark as you want buttt.... Having a sticker on the back window is a violation. Depending the officers mood tint is technically a big sticker and can write you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter04 View Post
    Virginia "allows" 35% all around also because the inside of your car is still visible. The only way you'll get pulled over for that is by some ******* cop dieing for brownie points. Most tint shops who only do legal tint will do 35%
    Sorry this is incorrect. Front is 50% rear is 35% however per code you are allowed a minus 7% tolerance. It is a primary offense which means you can be pulled over for it and there is no such thing as "brownie points". You watch too much TV... Some officers are big traffic guys and look for anything to stop a car and others aren't. It really depends on who you're dealing with.

A shop can actually be charged for installing illegal tint if it can be traced back to them. So if a shop does install anything less than what's legal they usually won't give you a receipt or anything in writing showing that they installed it.

I agree with most people here, it all depends on which cop pulls you over.
    In utah its 43% Front and 5% back
    I had a friend with 5% all the wway around and 60% in his front windshield and was never pulled over once.
    I had legal tint on my Mazda and a police officer told me it was to dark and tested it.
    When did we stop being who we want to be, and start being the person the world told us to be...

Stink Eye Mob #801
    Instagram: Infamouszoltan
    InfamousZoltanSTi

California: (Has been mentioned many times but, I shall add more!

The law is:
    Rear windows, anything goes.
    Front Windows, Nothing at all because California sucks.
    Windshield, only a top strip. AKA, Sun visor.

A buddy of mine is a cop and before tinting, I asked him about the likelihood of me getting pulled over. He told me that the majority of cops out there have bigger and better things to do than to pull over people for front tint. He also stated that I will only have a problem when I give them a reason to pull me over (speeding, obnoxious exhaust, etc...) and as long as you have your front plates and you don't have Limo all the way around the car, then you will be fine.

Does anyone know a good place to get headlights tinted in California...??

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX_Goose View Post
    Does anyone know a good place to get headlights tinted in California...??
    Kits are pretty cheap! This is something I'd tackle yourself.. Could be a wonderful 10-20 dollar lesson! Or, a waste of a couple beers.. But it's pretty easy to do IMO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brain Blast!

My build: Minimal. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...han-never.html

2014 ISM Hatch (His)
    2015 CWP Premium (Hers)

something else forever Germz to Japz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XJman View Post
    ugh... why do they have to be so strict?
    Speak Your Mind & Let Me Know

I don't like dark windows personally, makes driving at night a pain in the rear. I had 35% on my vw and i couldn't see anything at night

I do 5% all the way around and 50% on the windshield. I've been pulled over twice for it and ticketed once, I live in AZ.

All I do is take the blank work order form I have from a friend's shop, fill in my vin and receipt of tint removal and 35% addition and take it down to the court to get it wiped. The funny part was I went down to the court house in the same car with the same tint, they don't ask to see it.

In Arizona anything less than limo is hell

I'm posting this to help others decide how dark they want to go.

I'm a cop. Most of us use window tint as probable cause to stop a vehicle. Just because you are stopped doesn't mean you are getting a ticket. Most of us are looking for "real" crimes i.e. Drug use, Driving Under Suspension, DUI/OVI, etc.

If you are polite, roll your damn window down so we can see you if you have tints, and don't have any other violations going on, you are likely to get a warning. The biggest thing is being polite (and not having a bad driving record).

Obviously we're not all the same and some cops are simply ticket Nazi's but the majority of us are just normal people that are trying to get off work so we can enjoy our other hobbies. Don't make us nervous by being angry your got stopped, or not rolling your window down. When I can't see your hands the only thought in my mind is "when is he pulling the gun". Treat any human being with respect, and chances are you'll get some back. But play stupid games and/or have stupid excuses and you win stupid prizes.

Long story short, if you have illegal tint, expect to get pulled over so don't do anything else stupid like drive drunk and you more than likely won't get a ticket.

And we're not stupid either, we know that most car culture people aren't criminals and are usually sober (because their money was spent on their ride and they don't have cash for booze and drugs).

Obviously YMMV and cops in your area may be different so take this for what it's worth. IMO, get w/e tint you want, just expect to get pulled over for it.

And FWIW, I have never personally stopped anyone for window tint (or seat belt violations) because I think they are dumb laws. Sorry this is so long. End rant.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelAngus45 View Post
    I'm posting this to help others decide how dark they want to go.

I'm a cop. Most of us use window tint as probable cause to stop a vehicle. Just because you are stopped doesn't mean you are getting a ticket. Most of us are looking for "real" crimes i.e. Drug use, Driving Under Suspension, DUI/OVI, etc.

If you are polite, roll your damn window down so we can see you if you have tints, and don't have any other violations going on, you are likely to get a warning. The biggest thing is being polite (and not having a bad driving record).

Obviously we're not all the same and some cops are simply ticket Nazi's but the majority of us are just normal people that are trying to get off work so we can enjoy our other hobbies. Don't make us nervous by being angry your got stopped, or not rolling your window down. When I can't see your hands the only thought in my mind is "when is he pulling the gun". Treat any human being with respect, and chances are you'll get some back. But play stupid games and/or have stupid excuses and you win stupid prizes.

Long story short, if you have illegal tint, expect to get pulled over so don't do anything else stupid like drive drunk and you more than likely won't get a ticket.

And we're not stupid either, we know that most car culture people aren't criminals and are usually sober (because their money was spent on their ride and they don't have cash for booze and drugs).

Obviously YMMV and cops in your area may be different so take this for what it's worth. IMO, get w/e tint you want, just expect to get pulled over for it.

And FWIW, I have never personally stopped anyone for window tint (or seat belt violations) because I think they are dumb laws. Sorry this is so long. End rant.
    So don't start by screaming "I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!!"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.