Subaru WRX Forum banner

---<{{{The Official Wagon Thread}}}>---

712K views 2K replies 415 participants last post by  smorris 
#1 ·
The Offical Wagon Thread

We need this thread to post pictures and talk about cool wagons
...........so if you love wagons and need a place to hang out and talk about wagons to other wagon enthusiests, THis is the place!!!:cool:

I'll get things started with some of my favorite pictures

get ready for the ultimate in my wagon picture collection.

vivid racings car I belive

a real nice blue one

the most bad a$$ silver one I have ever seen

not a wrx but still one of the niceest wagons ever!!!!

I'd like to see more pics of this one, post e'm if you got e'm

and of course mine

See less See more
#930 ·
Awesome wagon! :thumbup: :thumbup: i'm totally confused though, is it an '02-'03 or '04-'05? i see hints of each...:confused1

#935 ·
Looks great, Jamie. :)

Oh, and thanks for selling me some perty painted side skirts for my wagon a few weeks ago. ;)

(I didn't realize who I'd talked to 'til after I hung up the phone...)

#937 ·
New to this forum and a proud owner of a WRX/Momo'ed out Race Mod’ed Sport Wagon!

Here is my New 04 Rally Racin Toy!

She looks almost completely stock on the outside, however Major Upgrades have been done to the engine and performance & handling of this baby!

I will post some under the hood pics soon.

Questions from a noob to experience Racers- lol

1) What are the best upgrade stabilizing/sway bar kits both Front & Rear for the Wagons? I have a good kit now but want more stiffness at high speed cornering. Are all STi Kits for the WRX Impreza Coupe the same as for the Sport Wagon ie are they compatible/interchangeable?

2) Best Chip/Computer for Engine Management System on the market. Unichip in right now, but I think that it is underperforming. It was recommended by a vet racer however I have nothing to compare my results against. I want a system that I can custom tune as new mods go on and forget about it once it is tuned to my current system. Needs to be City driving capable, like the Unichip is right now & a PC interface is a plus for Telemitry (Graphs). Any Ideas> Used Mainly for Racing off-road armature Rally’s and Road Courses Dirt & Concrete.

3) Turbo Blow off valves? Are they just for show (cool sounds) or improve the performance of my turbo upgraded engine? My current vale is recycleing the excess pressure with minimal wind up and/or lag. I Can't get a straight answer on this question from my racing buddies. Ask 5 people get 5 diff answers. lol

4) What in your opinion is the best performing Turbo back Exhaust System for off-road Rally use? Need to be virtually "bullet proof" and not very loud (the quieter the better) so I can hear the wheels/road noise of the surface I am on. I have a Street Cat Back right now with a stealth muffler twin tip very small increase in db of engine @ most RPM levels.

5) Carbon Fiber Hood and other external parts? Looks only or better performance? Waste of money or better race car? Droppin weight is nice, however I am concerned about trapping engine heat, stiffness on frame, size of scoop intake options, and dirt off-road concerns, etc.

6) Bigger hood scoop for my current STi Turbo Intercooler Upgrade? Yes/No? Will it really make a noticeable diff in engine/turbo temp?

7) Lastly (and thanks again for any constructive advice) What are the best external upgrade for dirt control? Mud flap kits, Cold air intake "wheel well" protection system (I have Ingen Intake (top of the line) right now and I am afraid of sucking to much dirt. Anything else I might need for the more punishing courses.

Thanks for any input or advice to these Subaru performance question! What are the best/necessary space parts to carry in my car while racing long course. in your experience what has broken if anything and need a spare to keep running and complete the race in your WRX?

This car has awoken my childhood instincts to play in the dirt and fond memories of Building & Racing RC cars off road! Now as an adult I get to build it and then Race INSIDE my Toy!! Gota love that. Right

Peace,
-Thormix-

Engine pic and under carriage pics will be posted once I get it back up on a lift. :thumbup:

-- :cool: -- Sorry for such a long post, but it is my 1st so I figured I would make it count. -- ;) --

#938 ·
Yeah you made that one count :)

1. poke around in the suspension forum a bit- lots of info on sway bars, your going to find that the "ultimate" sway bar setup for rallyx is not the "ultimate" setup for autox- lots of compromising in setting a suspension.

2. IMO (therre are lots of opinions) Ecutek or Cobb for EM- they utilize the oe ECU (which they've reversed engineered)- no foling the ECU into anything- they full access to all maps. Cobb probably has the upper edge in user ability to adjust.

3. our is actually a BPV by pass valve- a blow off valve sounds cool but can hurt performance

4. the downpipe is the critical peice from a performance standpoint- either a divorced or bellmouth design- lots to choose from. You'll probably want something that doesn't have alrge back box for clearance issues (but may run into problem w/ sound).

5. you have a aluminum hood- carbon fiber isn't going to help there. The trunk would shed you some lbs.

6. if you have a STi intercooler you need the STi scoop and more importantly you need the STi splitter- w/o it you've lost any potential gains.

7. if your playing in the gravel you need front/rear skid plates- check primitive out- very nice quality aluminum pieces at a fair price. Mud flaps- definitely (if you want to preserve some paint :)) I used a drop in ITG panel filter it performed incredibly in the dust/dirt- you need good filtering protection if your going to play in the dirt.

#939 ·
Big Sky WRX said:

1. poke around in the suspension forum a bit- lots of info on sway bars, your going to find that the "ultimate" sway bar setup for rallyx is not the "ultimate" setup for autox- lots of compromising in setting a suspension.

2. IMO (therre are lots of opinions) Ecutek or Cobb for EM- they utilize the oe ECU (which they've reversed engineered)- no foling the ECU into anything- they full access to all maps. Cobb probably has the upper edge in user ability to adjust.

3. our is actually a BPV by pass valve- a blow off valve sounds cool but can hurt performance

4. the downpipe is the critical peice from a performance standpoint- either a divorced or bellmouth design- lots to choose from. You'll probably want something that doesn't have alrge back box for clearance issues (but may run into problem w/ sound).

5. you have a aluminum hood- carbon fiber isn't going to help there. The trunk would shed you some lbs.

6. if you have a STi intercooler you need the STi scoop and more importantly you need the STi splitter- w/o it you've lost any potential gains.

7. if your playing in the gravel you need front/rear skid plates- check primitive out- very nice quality aluminum pieces at a fair price. Mud flaps- definitely (if you want to preserve some paint :)) I used a drop in ITG panel filter it performed incredibly in the dust/dirt- you need good filtering protection if your going to play in the dirt.
Wow Thank you a bunch!!
I will do some more homework. This is the kind of homework that I wish they assigned in college. lol
Got any weblink to best priced online vendor or local southern california shop owners?

To Dirt and all things fast, :D
Peace -Thormix-

#941 ·
Big Sky WRX said:

Wow Thank you a bunch!!
I will do some more homework. This is the kind of homework that I wish they assigned in college. lol
Got any weblink to best priced online vendor or local southern california shop owners?

To Dirt and all things fast, :D
Peace -Thormix-

#943 ·
bigmikelv said:
Im curious to what you have done to this already?
To answer you wuestion: It is all under the hood! :)
Total stock on the outside. Oh and I added a true Momo 5 speed sifter knob to Match the WRX Momo Wheel. Not the Subaru Momo Shifter but the expensive 5 hex alan kind w/ leaher on the top and milled alum. on the bottom half.

Under the hood I have done (so far): Ingen "Top of the Line" Cold Air intake system (silver), silicone hosing (silver), Caps (Silver and Red) wire management, 12v line with Fuse for Rear Sub Amp (Alpine V12), STI rally car engine/trans mount kit, STI Group F/R Strut Braces.

I'm Planning on doing in the near future: Turbo Upgrade, STi Intercoler, Unichip engine management system, Turbo Back (Quite as I can find) Stealth Twin Tip Exhaust Upgrade. Balance Engine Manifold to balance temps and pressure on the boxter 4-cyn. Complete Dirt driving Pacage --> Mud Flaps, Skid plates and diff covers.
Finally my last thing is to get a Steel Cage for Racing Belts and maybe even a full roll bar system Certified by applicable Rally Circuit.

Anything I am missing? I want it to look as stock as possible to the outside viewing eye but drive like a fuc k'in race devil son of Satan Monster!! hehe

Peace
-Thromix-

#945 ·
Thormix said:
Under the hood I have done (so far): Ingen "Top of the Line" Cold Air intake system (silver), silicone hosing (silver), Caps (Silver and Red) wire management, 12v line with Fuse for Rear Sub Amp (Alpine V12), STI rally car engine/trans mount kit, STI Group F/R Strut Braces.
Wow, the way you were talking I thought you had a 400hp car or something. You're pretty much stock, engine-wise.
I don't mean that to offend; I would just be careful talking it up around here as if you have a lot of engine mods or something.

#946 ·
I'm Planning on doing in the near future: Turbo Upgrade, STi Intercoler, Unichip engine management system, Turbo Back (Quite as I can find) Stealth Twin Tip Exhaust Upgrade. Balance Engine Manifold to balance temps and pressure on the boxter 4-cyn. Complete Dirt driving Pacage --> Mud Flaps, Skid plates and diff covers.
Finally my last thing is to get a Steel Cage for Racing Belts and maybe even a full roll bar system Certified by applicable Rally Circuit.

Okay well then...

Yeah i full expected Turbo upgrade NOS, you name it. You have a good start but Caps (Silver and Red) wire management, 12v line with Fuse for Rear Sub Amp (Alpine V12), is very basic. CAI isnt bad but not really good on a close to stock car. Engine mounts are a great start! and strut tower braces.

I dont think you want a unichip (old and not made anymore). Do you mean Balance engine manifold = equal length header? pros and cons to that too.

Start with the stickies on the boards like: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80872

Looks like you really need to ask alot of questions and read some more... But great start!

Here is a list of my car and I'm only stage 2.
Engine Mods: Custom Grounding Mod, Gruppe-s Turbo Heat Shield, ECUtek Reflash (Kingpin tuned), K&N Drop-in Filter, Bosal Divorced Waste Gate Down Pipe, Helix Flex Up Pipe, Greddy EVO2 Catback, Silencer Elbow Delete

Suspension & Drivetrain: 24mm Whiteline Rear Sway Bar, Whiteline Heavy Duty RSB Mounts, Perrin Rear Endlinks, Front Strut Tower Bar, Rear Strut Tower Bar, H-brace

Exterior: Limo Tint 5%, Debadged Rear Hatch, Steel Grey Rota Torques w/ 235/40-17 tires

Interior: Autometer Dual Pod Bezel, Autometer Sport-Comp Boost Gauge, Autometer Sport-Comp Voltmeter Gauge, MOMO Shift Knob, Forester Din Pocket, Armrest Extension, Matching WRB Child Car Seat, JDM Broadway Mirror

Audio & Entertainment: Kenwood KDC-MP828 Head Unit, Kenwood SIR-KEN1 Sirius Module, Rockford Fosgate Punch 100dsm Amplifier, Pioneer TS-W256C 10" SVC Subwoofer, Custom 10" Subwoofer Box

#949 ·
Thormix said:
To answer you wuestion: It is all under the hood! :)
Total stock on the outside. Oh and I added a true Momo 5 speed sifter knob to Match the WRX Momo Wheel. Not the Subaru Momo Shifter but the expensive 5 hex alan kind w/ leaher on the top and milled alum. on the bottom half.

Anything I am missing? I want it to look as stock as possible to the outside viewing eye but drive like a fuc k'in race devil son of Satan Monster!! hehe
Peace
-Thromix-

hey man, i'm just curious...but didn't you say that you already had the sti i/c, unichip, and "Stealth Twin Tip Exhaust Upgrade"?

2) Best Chip/Computer for Engine Management System on the market. Unichip in right now, but I think that it is underperforming. It was recommended by a vet racer however I have nothing to compare my results against.
I have a Street Cat Back right now with a stealth muffler twin tip very small increase in db of engine @ most RPM levels.
Bigger hood scoop for my current STi Turbo Intercooler Upgrade? Yes/No? Will it really make a noticeable diff in engine/turbo temp?
seriously dude, you will find just about everything you need to know it the FAQ threads also the search button is ur friend. good luck. nice wagon BTW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.