Subaru WRX Forum banner

---<{{{The Official Wagon Thread}}}>---

712K views 2K replies 415 participants last post by  smorris 
#1 ·
The Offical Wagon Thread

We need this thread to post pictures and talk about cool wagons
...........so if you love wagons and need a place to hang out and talk about wagons to other wagon enthusiests, THis is the place!!!:cool:

I'll get things started with some of my favorite pictures

get ready for the ultimate in my wagon picture collection.

vivid racings car I belive

a real nice blue one

the most bad a$$ silver one I have ever seen

not a wrx but still one of the niceest wagons ever!!!!

I'd like to see more pics of this one, post e'm if you got e'm

and of course mine

See less See more
#731 ·
Big Sky WRX said:
AVCS on both, the WRX loses the catted upipe- good, but replace w/ a "air pump"- good or bad don't know??
How does the air pump work? If the STi doesn't need an uppipe cat, why does the 2.5 WRX need anything to replace it?

Shortly after those '06 pics were posted I got a chance to do a very limited test drive of the '06 wagon. I didn't really get to flog it, but I like the engine much better - almost no lag with much better low and midrange response. Felt the beefier brake calipers immediately - now seem to match the heft of the WRX appropriately. Upon inspecting the engine compartment, I noticed that the winshield fluid resevoir has been relocated towards the front and hidden lower - in it's place is what looks like a plastic turbo? Anybody know what this is? Also the intercooler looks like the one from the Forester XT - smaller front to back (more room between it and the firewall - the engine mount is now very visible), but wider - not sure if the overall capacity is more or less than the '02-05. Anybody with an '06, please take some pics of the engine bay and post so everyone can see what I'm talking about.

#732 ·
I posted somewhere a techincal link on the air pump-search on my name and air pump.

The STi doesn't "need" it as SOA has elected the STi to have higher emission threshold- that's why they have been w/o a uppipe from the begining (and no air pump). The STi also has no open/closed loop problems like the 04+'s- again the STi is positioned (by SOA) differently than the WRX.

The older 02/03's never suffered from the open/closed "delay", because the STi hadn't arrived yet and SOA was able to classify them differently- enter the STi, it bumped the WRX out of it's classification (which the STi then claimed) and they had to add a delay in.

Evidently there rules in place (that I don't undestand) that force manufactuers to have different models comply w/ certain emission standards and only x amount of vehicles or models can occupy the laxer end of the spectrum- SOA chose the STi to fill that end.

#735 ·
New to the wagon scene

After a hard time pinching my pennies over two years, I got my 2004 silver WRX wagon today. How lucky was I to find the exact model I wanted pre-owned. It came from the Tokyo plant (2/04), under 20,000 miles, one owner, cost was under $20 G's. And it was my first day looking. My girl and I just happened to stroll in the lot just to see what they had. perfect timing.

So since I'm new. Where is a good outlet for body kits? I was thinking of a STI, without the decals look.

#736 ·
Welcome aboard and congrats on purchasing the right kind of WRX :D

You'll find the wagon is a little ignored when it comes to body pieces (suspension as well), there are some, but not the plethora enjoyed by the sedan. I'd suggest looking (not necessarily buying) at japanparts.com, gruppe-s, vividracing to see what is out there.

Looking through this thread (there is also a 2004+ wagon thread floating around) should hint at what is avialable.

#737 ·
Rembrandt said:
That rear waste spoiler WAS made by Razzi. They quit making it because it was of little demand. I was pissed when I heard that, as I was right about to buy one. So, if you have one laying around, PM me.

I say lets all email them and tell them we want them. If the demand is there maybe they will make them again. Sware i would buy one as they were only $200.

#738 ·
any ideas how i can get black rear carpet in the trunk as $500 at the dealer for 05 wagon rear is a bit pricy.

#739 ·
hybrid gti 2 said:
any ideas how i can get black rear carpet in the trunk as $500 at the dealer for 05 wagon rear is a bit pricy.
I don't really understand why you would want carpet? I bought the rubber cargo mat and I like it a lot. Keeps the back end nice and clean.

#742 ·
Big Sky WRX said:
I posted somewhere a techincal link on the air pump-search on my name and air pump.

The STi doesn't "need" it as SOA has elected the STi to have higher emission threshold- that's why they have been w/o a uppipe from the begining (and no air pump). The STi also has no open/closed loop problems like the 04+'s- again the STi is positioned (by SOA) differently than the WRX.

Evidently there rules in place (that I don't undestand) that force manufactuers to have different models comply w/ certain emission standards and only x amount of vehicles or models can occupy the laxer end of the spectrum- SOA chose the STi to fill that end.
I always thought the STi didn't need the uppipe cat because there was less emissions problems with the 2.5 v. 2.0.

Stupid emissions rules. Probably same reason why diesel trucks can belch all they want while cars are restricted as hell. Here in Colorado, there are almost as many diesel hickup trucks as SUVs, which together as many as cars.

#743 ·
wrx wagone said:
Nice rack! ( :rotfl: ) I should be getting my rack tonight and have a couple of quick questions. Are the ends of wheeltrays very close to the spoiler when the gate is up? Also, approximately how long are your wheeltrays from the front bar center to the end? I think mine may be close and wanted to check (my Yakima parts should be sitting at home waiting now for me to get home and install).

-E

#744 ·
e-man-wrx said:
Nice rack! ( :rotfl: ) I should be getting my rack tonight and have a couple of quick questions. Are the ends of wheeltrays very close to the spoiler when the gate is up? Also, approximately how long are your wheeltrays from the front bar center to the end? I think mine may be close and wanted to check (my Yakima parts should be sitting at home waiting now for me to get home and install).

-E
The trays just barely don't touch the spoiler. I actually had to cut 3" off of the trays to make them fit. This makes mounting a longer bike like a dual suspension a bit difficult, but they will still fit most other bikes just fine. I will take the other measurement soon.

#748 ·
wagone: In short, the rack wasn't going to fit with the spoiler. They were fork mounts with the forks mounting just behind the front crossbar, so the rear wheels extend too far back and also would hit the gate. I looked at cutting some of the wheeltrays off, but then it would be too short for the mountain bikes... okay for the road bikes though. It's really too bad because the newer moldel stuff looks awesome!! I'm partial to the fork mounts, but I may have to go with a different style. Btw, which Thule rack is that on yours? I'm normally die-hard Yakima, but the upright look just isn't for me and the fork mount I got is their shortest model.

#749 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.