---<{{{The Official Wagon Thread}}}>--- - Page 120
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on ---<{{{The Official Wagon Thread}}}>--- within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Bugeyez Should set it off nicely IMO Those will do the job.....

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugeyez View Post

Should set it off nicely IMO
    Those will do the job..
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    oh thank god. Those wheels HAVE to go. With the new wheels, the wagon will look slick
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    18x9's will not even be CLOSE to fitting the wagon.

Rolling fenders wont help.. you'll need to pull the fenders, and even then it'll probably be borderline.

Look into a 17x8 or a 18x7.5 wheel... they'll be more likely to fit your wagon.
    I see pictures of 17x9's on wagons. I just want to put as much tire meat to the ground as possible. You have any pictures of a 17x8 w/245's on it? I am just afraid of the sidewall folding over on itself when taking a hard corner. Also, what sidewall size would you want for 245's on a 17x8? Any input on 18x8 (as to what's a good size tire to run on it, sidewall specs included).

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by profall View Post
    I see pictures of 17x9's on wagons. I just want to put as much tire meat to the ground as possible. You have any pictures of a 17x8 w/245's on it? I am just afraid of the sidewall folding over on itself when taking a hard corner. Also, what sidewall size would you want for 245's on a 17x8? Any input on 18x8 (as to what's a good size tire to run on it, sidewall specs included).
    Keep in mind that larger wheels will begin to decrease car performance... there is a point of diminishing returns. Sure, larger tires will help give the car better grip in the turns, but increased contact area will decrease acceleration and top speed (more rolling friction and unsprung weight), as well as significantly poorer fuel economy.

Facebook me here

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    17x8's are the defacto wheel size for STX class for the WRX and lots of wagons running in that class- most us ran 235/40/17's as there was a pretty good gearing advantage w/ the shorter tire (and most offerings ran on the wide side anyways)

in 245, the 245/40/17 would be the best choice IMO-just a smidge shorter than oe height- 245/45 is a little tall IMO

w/ the right offset, the right ride height, the right spring rates, the right alignment- I think 17x9's and 245/40's would be doable w/ just a fender roll- won't be easy, but I think doable
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

NJO
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    17x8's are the defacto wheel size for STX class for the WRX and lots of wagons running in that class- most us ran 235/40/17's as there was a pretty good gearing advantage w/ the shorter tire (and most offerings ran on the wide side anyways)

in 245, the 245/40/17 would be the best choice IMO-just a smidge shorter than oe height- 245/45 is a little tall IMO

w/ the right offset, the right ride height, the right spring rates, the right alignment- I think 17x9's and 245/40's would be doable w/ just a fender roll- won't be easy, but I think doable
    ive seen a wrx wagon at MMP on day with "just rolled fenders" on some custom 17 inch steelies done by diamond racing wheels i think that cleared the coilover by about 1 or 2 mm and the fender by about 1 or 2 mm and he ran 255s he did have sedan front fenders but in the rear i measured mine today and 255 didnt look to possible... i can only imagine he has the fenders pulled some too, but still thats a wide tire on a wagon. he was an older guy that was way in to tracking and i told him to join so maybe we will see him aorund one day
    EX BUGEYE MAFIA #193
    1996 Legacy Outback
    Ej20 swap/ with ALL supporting parts
    intake/turbo inlet/vf39/big tmic/headers/uppipe/downpipe/straight pipe/walbro fp/modded stock injectors/ and too much more

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^ there was a fellow on nasioc that posted up some 255's- definitely on the tight side

when you get near the raggedy edge of fitment there is no guarantee (except the fact that your going to have some work ahead of you )
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post

Well, I think I am going to run 17x8's as it seems to be the best choice in terms of performance and price. Still not sure if I should run 245 or 235's on the 17x8. The largest tires i've ever had on a car was 225's. Once I fix some of the problems with my car and get it tuned, I am going to be putting down close to 400WHP so I really need to get rid of the crappy 205's on there right now for safety's sake.

I've pretty much decided on these brand/design. http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/w...6398_6512.html

They are re-branded A-Tech wheels (Japanese Company) and they are lighter, cheaper, and stronger then say a rota of the same size/design. Now the question is, Bronze or Gunmetal on a PSM Wagon.
    Last edited by profall; 09-09-2010 at 03:44 PM.

zax
    Well, I think I am going to run 17x8's as it seems to be the best choice in terms of performance and price. Still not sure if I should run 245 or 235's on the 17x8. The largest tires i've ever had on a car was 225's. Once I fix some of the problems with my car and get it tuned, I am going to be putting down close to 400WHP so I really need to get rid of the crappy 205's on there right now for safety's sake.

I've pretty much decided on these brand/design. http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/w...6398_6512.html

They are re-branded A-Tech wheels (Japanese Company) and they are lighter, cheaper, and stronger then say a rota of the same size/design. Now the question is, Bronze or Gunmetal on a PSM Wagon.
    wow. what mods? are you still running on the stock tranny?

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    wow. what mods? are you still running on the stock tranny?
    Crawford S2 Short Block and JDM V7 Spec C heads (Large Port). Running an FPGreen on it at the moment.

I have the JDM STI RA Gearset in my tranny at the moment. Still have the 3.9 front and rear. I know it's not a bulletproof tranny, but it's better then the stock 02 tranny and as long as I take care of it, it should be good for a while. I know it'll blow up on me one day and I eventually plan on doing a 6 speed swap or PPG gearbox.

I am currently running 17x8 with 245/40's on my wagon without incident at STOCK height. Doesn't look like it's going to be a problem to lower the car. Maybe a small roll of the lip.

I ran STi BBS's with 245/40's on Eibach prokit springs without a problem through EVERYTHING.
    Creeping up on creeping for a decade.
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

zax
    Crawford S2 Short Block and JDM V7 Spec C heads (Large Port). Running an FPGreen on it at the moment.

I have the JDM STI RA Gearset in my tranny at the moment. Still have the 3.9 front and rear. I know it's not a bulletproof tranny, but it's better then the stock 02 tranny and as long as I take care of it, it should be good for a while. I know it'll blow up on me one day and I eventually plan on doing a 6 speed swap or PPG gearbox.
    nice! If it were me, I'd forgo the 6spd in favor of the PPG 1-4 w/ PPG front diff and R180 ring & pinion in the R160 case. That's my vote

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by the mike View Post
    I am currently running 17x8 with 245/40's on my wagon without incident at STOCK height. Doesn't look like it's going to be a problem to lower the car. Maybe a small roll of the lip.

I ran STi BBS's with 245/40's on Eibach prokit springs without a problem through EVERYTHING.
    You have any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    nice! If it were me, I'd forgo the 6spd in favor of the PPG 1-4 w/ PPG front diff and R180 ring & pinion in the R160 case. That's my vote
    This. I'm seriously considering this option when its time to do some engine work that the trans won't like.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

The only one I have at the moment...

Creeping up on creeping for a decade.
    Bugeye Mafia V2 #322

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.