Another "removing orange bulb cover" thread
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Another "removing orange bulb cover" thread within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Without taking apart your headlights! I took my headligts out, put my finger through the hole where the orange thing ...

Removing turn signal cover

Without taking apart your headlights!

I took my headligts out, put my finger through the hole where the orange thing is and popped it off.

Once it's off, you basically shake your headlight and move the orange piece around until you can get to an edge piece (a little tricky, but not bad). I used a pair of dikes (wire cutter things) and put them up into the hole and cut the orange plastic thing up. Be careful not to scratch the silver on the inside of your headlight housing (hard to scratch if you're being careful)

When you are cutting the orange piece, it will break into small pieces that you can just shake out. Once you get both headlights done (took me about 1.5 hours), install a Phillips Silvervision bulb (size = 1156) or you could buy a "titanium" bulb in the rice boy section at Pep boys that does the same thing (looks silver, flashes orange), but is about $20 cheaper.

Reinstall your headlights and enjoy. Looks awesome.

I'd post pics, but the digital camera in the family is my wife's and it is sitting in the garage waiting for her March 25th birthday.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I did the same thing, except I used some metal shears. I installed some LED bulbs, so they are clear when off, but still blink orange.
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

Sweet! I'm going to do this soon then! I didn't want to put my laps in the microwave. And was leary about doing this until somebody said they've done it.

So the blinker bulb needed is 1156? Is that the same blinker size for the rear blinker?

I Support ClubWRX
    I kind of like this idea too. Could you please take some pictures of your headlights with the bulb on and off? I may do this too if it is as easy as you say.

Originally posted by Hot_Dog
    I installed some LED bulbs, so they are clear when off, but still blink orange.
    Do you have hyper blinkers now? If not, let me know where you got the LEDs.

Originally posted by verbal

So the blinker bulb needed is 1156? Is that the same blinker size for the rear blinker?
    Front is definately 1156, not sure about the rear.

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    I kind of like this idea too. Could you please take some pictures of your headlights with the bulb on and off? I may do this too if it is as easy as you say.
    I can make a movie of it after March 25. I got my wife a digital camera with 20 sec. of video recording capability for her birthday (March 25), but she refuses to open her present early.

I wanna play with it.

I did have hyper blinker. I tried to get an electronic flasher, but all of the flashers have "Lamp outage" indicators, so they give you hyper blinker too! So, I hot wired up some resistor packs that basically simulate a light bulb. I took two 10 ohm resistors and put them in parallel to get 5 ohms. Then I hooked them into the wires for the turn signal bulb and zip-tied them under the head lights. The resistors were large power resistors: 10 ohms, 10 watts. I got them at radio shack. The LED bulbs I got from http://www.ledtronics.com

I know that wasn't the most elegant solution, but it works fine and I don't have rice blinker. I'll try to take some pics of it soon.

When you're chopping up the orange cover, you have to be VERY careful not to scratch the reflector or the lense. I have one or two scratches now, but they are hardly visible. Its more of a "scuff" mark than a scratch. Any you might want to wear some gloves while you're doing it...so then you don't get finger prints inside the headlight.
    Last edited by Hot_Dog; 05-08-2005 at 10:21 PM.

Is the piece hard to cut up? As long as you aren't jamming scissiors in there and just pouring the pieces out, it shouldn't scratch up.

I can't imagine doing it with scissors, but it wasn't bad with the wire cutters.

Another "removing orange bulb cover" thread

I've decided that I'm going to try this the ghetto way, By demolishing the orange piece and pouring the pieces out.

I tried taking the headlight out, but noticed that one of the wires is ran under the aiming piece. I **REALLY** don't want to deal with aiming my headlights. Is there any way to take out the headlight without messing with that screw?

I know a few of you have done this. Whats the best way? Dremel? Does it all come out or do the tiny clips that hold it in stay there? Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

So this Phillips Silvervision bulb is clear and flashes orange?
    2005 Forrester XT premium

Originally posted by mesaro
    No, only LED bulbs are clear when off and orange when on.

Anybody have a site that sells yellow silvervisions for a good price?

Originally posted by mesaro
    It appears silver, but flashes orange.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.