Another "removing orange bulb cover" thread - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Another "removing orange bulb cover" thread within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yeah, the orange dome kept flipping upside down. I ended up turning the headlite upside down, laying on my back ...

Yeah, the orange dome kept flipping upside down. I ended up turning the headlite upside down, laying on my back looking up through the front of the light, and reaching my arm around to come in the hole from behind the light. With this method, the dome would sit the correct way for the edges to be accessible from the hole. PITA!

What color did you tint the corners?
    My car is black, so I spray tinted the corners and taillights black as well. I think it looks pretty good. I havn't taken pics of it yet cause the car is so dirty. But when it stops raining and I get a chance, I post pics.

-Jason
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by Hot_Dog
    I did have hyper blinker. I tried to get an electronic flasher, but all of the flashers have "Lamp outage" indicators, so they give you hyper blinker too! So, I hot wired up some resistor packs that basically simulate a light bulb. I took two 10 ohm resistors and put them in parallel to get 5 ohms. Then I hooked them into the wires for the turn signal bulb and zip-tied them under the head lights. The resistors were large power resistors: 10 ohms, 10 watts. I got them at radio shack. The LED bulbs I got from http://www.ledtronics.com

I know that wasn't the most elegant solution, but it works fine and I don't have rice blinker. I'll try to take some pics of it soon.
    Hot_Dog,

Where did you get the info to go with those resistance values? Also you wired the resistors parallel for 5 ohms but did you install them in series with the power wire or did you run them parallel across both wires ? I followed your link to LEDTRONICS and I am pretty sure I will be buying those.

Clavo.
    What's the square root of 69 ?.........8 something

ClavoWRX: I used an ohm meter to measure the resistance of the light bulb...it measured around 5 ohms. I wired the resistors in parallel with the LED bulb.

Here's another thread with a picture:
    Hyper blinker?
    2003 WRB Sedan. Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by scooby-x
    OMG!!! Do you want me on my knees or bent over? I love you

Just thought I'd post a pic of mine

here's 1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails silver turn signals2 (small).jpg  
    2005 Forrester XT premium

another
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails silver turn signals4 (small).jpg  

lastone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails silver turn signals (small).jpg  

mesaro,

Did you buy a new set of stock headlights? Or is that a photoshop job. Also, did you only take the orange cover off and use the stock bulbs?
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

Originally posted by RLsChMiDt
    mesaro,

Did you buy a new set of stock headlights? Or is that a photoshop job. Also, did you only take the orange cover off and use the stock bulbs?
    I bought a spare set just in case anything happened. I'm still debating on baking and painting them tho. All I did was pop off the orange cover, break it up, and shook it out. Then got Silvania Silvervisions (Look silver but blink orange).

Originally posted by mesaro
    I bought a spare set just in case anything happened. I'm still debating on baking and painting them tho. All I did was pop off the orange cover, break it up, and shook it out. Then got Silvania Silvervisions (Look silver but blink orange).
    Did you get hyper blinker from those? If not, then I'm gonna look into gettin them. I'm prolly gonna get the headlight bulbs (i think Silverstar) and i'll get those at the same time...

edit: where'd you get them!?
    Last edited by RLsChMiDt; 04-10-2003 at 07:50 PM.
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

Originally posted by RLsChMiDt
    Did you get hyper blinker from those? If not, then I'm gonna look into gettin them. I'm prolly gonna get the headlight bulbs (i think Silverstar) and i'll get those at the same time...

edit: where'd you get them!?
    No hyper blink as these are not LED's. The only thing is you have to file down one of the nubs.

Go here for the bulbs. I got them from powerbulbs.com

bambams247
    chrisquik, do u have pictures of the debaging?

Here a couple of my removal and trunk debadge sorry for the fuzzyness i took em off a camcorder at night
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nightcorner.jpg  

number2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fuzzydebadge.jpg  

daytime pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails corners 1.jpg  

Resistor Wiring Diagram

Originally posted by ClavoWRX
    Hot_Dog,

Where did you get the info to go with those resistance values? Also you wired the resistors parallel for 5 ohms but did you install them in series with the power wire or did you run them parallel across both wires ? I followed your link to LEDTRONICS and I am pretty sure I will be buying those.

Clavo.
    This took me awhile to figure out also. I just installed LED blinkers in my headlights this past weekend. They work perfect... normal blinking speed now!

If you put an ohmmeter on a stock turn signal bulb, it'll measure 5 ohms... so to simulate the bulb with resistors you need a 5 ohm resistor. Radio Shack sells resistors in varying resistances and watts. Since we're dealing with a 12v system... we need higher wattage resistors than the typical 1/4 or 1/2 watt ones. Rad Shack sells 10 watt resistors... plenty for what we need... but they only have 1 ohm and 10 ohm ones... so to get the required 5 ohms we can: a) hook up five 1 ohm resistors in series, or b) hook up two 10 ohm resistors in parallel. The latter is the easier choice. A two pack of 10 ohm/10 watt resistors ran me $1.50 and you'll need 4 total resistors (2- two packs).

The Turn Signal/Parking Light wiring harness has three wires in it: Red is the parking light source, Black is the common ground, and Black with Green tracer is the turn signal source. You'll want to hook up your resistor pack to the Black w/Green tracer wire on one side and to the Black wire on the other side. Do not cut the wires... you're simply tapping into them.

Check out this simple PaintShop diagram I made... it should show it pretty well. If you have any questions feel free to email me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wiring-resistors-for-led.jpg  
    RR
    '04 SRT-4 E.blue
    ---past flyers---
    '03 WRX Silver
    '98 Maxima SE

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast