Automatic Car Washes

This is a discussion on Automatic Car Washes within the Exterior & Appearance forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How many of you run your WRX thru an auto carwash? Any risk of soap etc trickling into the intercoller? ...

Automatic Car Washes

How many of you run your WRX thru an auto carwash? Any risk of soap etc trickling into the intercoller?

FWIW I've tried searching but can't find anything substantial on this.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd NEVER run my WRX through an automatic car wash - but it has nothing to do with getting water in the scoop.

I haven't found a car wash machine yet that won't throw MAJOR swirls/scratches into a car's finish!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

i havent brought mine through, 1. when i had the graphics. and now i havent because the body kit i worry about it being hurt. and theres a certain satisfaction in doing it yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

I have taken my car to an auto wash on occasion do to lack of time or appropriate comfortable weather to wash my car myself... I think there may be reasons not to but getting something on your intercooler should'nt be one of them... it's just a metal heat sink... it will not hurt anything to get it wet.
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

: : J-Lovin Moderator: : PhreeZe's Avatar
    Never take it to automatic car washes. It will scratch you car. Plus they recycle the water which can leave particles in the water to harm your paint. Also ever notice what kind of towels they use? Not a good idea.

Jason
    "It's not how you stand by your car, it's how you race your car. You better learn that." - Ja Rule

Jason - Jasle@Centurytel.net
    Exterior & Appearance/Northwest Moderator

Vendor of Choice: World One Performance

During the winter time I find I have to take it to the auto wash, but I only take it to a non-brush car wash. Its to cold to wash my car by hand, and I couldn't do it even if I wanted to, the hose is frozen. So I find it better to get it washed by just soap and water then leaving the salt and sand and everything else on the car for weeks.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

And who says I let them touch my car w/ their ratty towels? I'll go through the blow dry then bring it home stick it in the heated garage and let it air dry the rest of the way during the winter... but yeah Kanos is right it's a million times better than leaving the salt caked to it all the time as there is at least 3" of salt on the roads at all times here.
    "Does this look like a Q to you?"
    <swivles hips>
    "How bout now?"

Giggidy Giggidy Giggidy!

I will end up washing it myself during summer, but have had no problem with the touchfree carwashes during winter. Gets off the salt and grit and the only thing that I've had touch my car is water. Unfortunately, I've only had my car for this winter so far and have been unable to do it myself because of the cold and lack of time. It's best to go to a touchfree car wash if you have to so that no actual brush will touch your car. That's just my opinion though
    "Ludicris speed! GO!!!!!!"

Cool

im curious, what happens when water and soap gets into the hood scoop and into the engine?

Originally posted by sexyrex
    im curious, what happens when water and soap gets into the hood scoop and into the engine?
    They get cleaner.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Originally posted by is2scooby
    They get cleaner.
    HAHAHA...yeah, kinda like a engine detail without having to open the hood

sexyrex, nothing will happen to the engine if you get water/soap in the hood scoop. The water/soap will just flow through the intercooler, over the back of the engine/tranny, and drip to the ground. No harm done.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Haha, what do you think happens when you drive through a rain storm??

Cool

well you know, i was thinking about the soap more than the water =D
    [SLEEPER]
    [noun] A high performance street car with an inconspicuous, stock outward appearance.