Day time running lights???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Day time running lights??? within the Exterior and Appearance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Anyone know of a non-obtrusive way to turn these things off? However, I still want to be able to flash ...

Day time running lights???

Anyone know of a non-obtrusive way to turn these things off? However, I still want to be able to flash my high beams when the lights are off. I miss being able to pull the fuse on these things.

-Thanks
    03' WRX, 00'ah6

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

very very easy man....if youre facing the front of the car, on the left side of the engine bay there is a little thing above the airbox with 2 of these little knobs on it.. turn those 2, and take the top off...underneith down there there will be a connector...from what i remember its vertical...squeeze the tabs and pull down ..it will come off and once its off the drls are gone! experiment around if u cant get the right connector...maybe someone remembers what color it is..i sure dont

Why would you want to turn your daytime running lights off? I don't think they are obtrusive. Just asking not flaming or anything
    The Left lane is for those going faster then YOU!!!

tan
    There should be something on the Tutorial section

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    scoobymods.com has a good picture tutorial on how to remove the daytime running lights harness. check it out
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Originally posted by nemesis099
    Why would you want to turn your daytime running lights off? I don't think they are obtrusive. Just asking not flaming or anything
    I disabled mine because I don't like the way it looks. And I see no point in wasting my headlamp life by having them on during the day.

Side note: I don't understand why the daytime running lamp "module" is so big. And why it's a seperate module. Couldn't have done something with the fuses/relays for them?

First of all, I don't need a car to babysit me. I'm a big boy and I can decide whether I want daytime lights on or not.

Second, there are some instances where it would be nice to be able to run with just the parking lights. For instance, I go camping a lot and oftentimes I return to the campsite well after dark. I'd like to be able to get to my campsite without shining my headlights into other people's faces, lighting up their tent while they're trying to sleep, etc.
    -BP
    RallyCross: "Eating dirt is a basic motor skill."

adi
    There is a post somewhere on how to disable them from inside the cabin. Take out the glove box, and on the right hand side near the door, there are 3 large wiring connectors. One of those is for DRL. This is how i disabled mine, if I ever get any crap about it, i can just reach under the glove box and re-connect it. Also, when I get HID's, DRL is not a good idea for them, since its not full power going to the ballast if you tie into the stock wiring.
    03 WRX

I just really don't like the way they look, and I like to have the power of having them on and off when I want them on and off. Also, when you spend 80$ on bulbs you don't want them running all the time, so they can just keep burning out.
    03' WRX, 00'ah6

Originally posted by verbal
    I disabled mine because I don't like the way it looks. And I see no point in wasting my headlamp life by having them on during the day.

Side note: I don't understand why the daytime running lamp "module" is so big. And why it's a seperate module. Couldn't have done something with the fuses/relays for them?
    Yes i'm totally confused as to why it is a seperately HUGE module. It seems like they wanted an easy way for us to turn them off, or maybe they were an afterthough? Who knows?

The DRL module is a voltage regulator that steps down the voltage. hence it gets hot - needs to be bigger to dissipate that heat.

If you look very carefully at the lights when they are on via DRL and then turn on the lights - they get a little brighter. the lower voltage is supposed to extend the bulb life.

I realize that they are a little less bright, is the DRL module just a big resistor sort of? or what?

it is a silicon based voltage regulator.
    Similar thing that is in phone chargers and laptop power packs.

o alright, it just seemed kind of strange shape/placing/etc. to me.

Also remember that the DRL module also senses the parking brake, which is when they turn on, and when the headlights are switched on, when they turn off.

After looking at the factory shop manual for the WRX, the easiest way to disconnect the DRL's is to disconnect the parking brake sensor wire for the DRL module. If it thinks the parking brake is on, then the DR lights never come on.

BTW: It has been proven for by a number of agencies, worldwide, that the number of traffic accidents declined on highways when cars were mandated to have DRL. Remember the cost of a bulb is cheap in comparison to some idiot running into you, changing lanes into you etc., when if your DRL's were on they would have a better chance of seeing you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast