Subaru WRX Forum banner

DIY: JDM side blinker

16K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  LIV 2 RLY 
#1 · (Edited)
Spent about 2 hours installing JDM side blinkers today. This intall was not as bad as I thought. You just need to be brave enough to put a hole in a perfectly nice fender.

Tools/parts you need:

- Drill bits in many different sizes (up to 1/4") to gradually make hole bigger.
- Dibbler ($4 from Radio Shack) which is used to cut away fender metal.
- Template: I downloaded from here:
http://www.speerschong.com/ron/sti/sidemarkers/sidemarker-template.pdf

- Butt connectors and speaker wires from Radio Shack.
- Electrical tape
- Windshield wiper blade insert or metal hanger

Here are the pictures.
Here are some pictures from today's install. Hardest thing was finding a place that sells nibbler as many places did not even know what nibbler was (Lowe's, Auto zone, Sears, etc). :)

I ordered a set of JDM blinkers from suby dude for around $80 shipped. These come with replaceable bulbs.

Carefully align template on the fender and use masking tape to secure it. Measure 3x before you start drilling.

Starting with the smallest drill bit you have, carefully increase the size of hole until you reach 1/4" drill bit.

Time to cut fenders using nibbler :)

Use wrench to flatten end of butt connector. I did not have to use soldering gun, which saved time and effort.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)

It's time to use a long wire to run wires from side blinker to OEM blinker. Splice OEM wires and make good connections. Soldering may help here although it's optional.

I used OEM touch up paint to prevent rust from forming on cut surface. :)

#5 ·
Great write up, thanks for the quick response! I have have to get these done at some point! BTW, where did you get the amber blinkers from? Also did you seal them with anything onto your fender, I realize there are clips, but was curious about water proofing!

#6 ·
I got them from subydude for $80 shipped. Not cheap by any means but it's a great mod IMO. No sealant used at all. Even side turn signals don't have sealant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.